Storm Bull wind outside Dragon Pass/Prax/Wastes?

Akhôrahil

Storm Bull is associated with the Desert Wind, which makes sense within the Dragon Pass/Prax/Wastes area (and even Pent, where he's the South Rage Wind, as it borders on the Wastes to the south).

But presumably he's not identified with desert winds in areas where he's still worshiped but there are hundreds or thousands of miles to the nearest desert (like Fronela or the Pelorian highlands), because that myth wouldn't carry a lot of immediacy. So what do you think he is associated with there? A destructive wind surely, but blizzards and hailstorms are probably already taken by the Winter/Cold gods. Whirlwinds? A biting North Wind? 

55 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

So what do you think he is associated with there? A destructive wind surely, but blizzards and hailstorms are probably already taken by the Winter/Cold gods. Whirlwinds? A biting North Wind? 

IIRC Humakt seems to be associated with the biting, 'cutting', North Wind, and snowstorms with Valind.

Tornadoes seem to be the domain of Gagarth the Wild Hunter (e.g. the whirlvishes which he creates).

Orlanth is the prevailing West Wind (including southwesterly winds).

My thought for Storm Bull is that he is the 'contrary' or bullish wind.  In places like Peloria or even Fronela, this would be the east or southeasterly winds.  Probably brings warm, possible moist air up from central Genertela (the warm breath of the Bull - think of it as a warm or stationary front perhaps).  Where this interacts with other winds, it could well bring towering thunderstorms or tornadoes, but might as easily be muggy, sweltering days.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

My thought for Storm Bull is that he is the 'contrary' or bullish wind.  In places like Peloria or even Fronela, this would be the east or southeasterly winds.  Probably brings warm, possible moist air up from central Genertela (the warm breath of the Bull - think of it as a warm or stationary front perhaps).  Where this interacts with other winds, it could well bring towering thunderstorms or tornadoes, but might as easily be muggy, sweltering days.

So, basically the Foehn - an inversion weather that brings ultra clear air, heat, headaches and rage.

• Like 4

Telling how it is excessive verbis

38 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

IIRC Humakt seems to be associated with the biting, 'cutting', North Wind, and snowstorms with Valind.

Agree, you can see this in the Four Winds of Pent.

38 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

My thought for Storm Bull is that he is the 'contrary' or bullish wind.  In places like Peloria or even Fronela, this would be the east or southeasterly winds.  Probably brings warm, possible moist air up from central Genertela (the warm breath of the Bull - think of it as a warm or stationary front perhaps).

It's easy to see how this could be associated with the fertility aspect, too.

• Like 3

One of my goals this summer is to get through some of the Stafford Library and try to figure out this, and the versions of the Orlanthi pantheon more generally in Maniria.

I strongly suspect Stormbull has a presence of some kind, and that if anything, it will somehow be a mirror of Prax, since I generally assume that Maniria is generally a mirror of Prax (don't ask, can't explain that)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Storm Bull is associated with the Desert Wind, which makes sense within the Dragon Pass/Prax/Wastes area (and even Pent, where he's the South Rage Wind, as it borders on the Wastes to the south).

But presumably he's not identified with desert winds in areas where he's still worshiped but there are hundreds or thousands of miles to the nearest desert (like Fronela or the Pelorian highlands), because that myth wouldn't carry a lot of immediacy. So what do you think he is associated with there? A destructive wind surely, but blizzards and hailstorms are probably already taken by the Winter/Cold gods. Whirlwinds? A biting North Wind? 

It let me think about the Sahara sand / dust I have to clean at home (near Paris / FR) . It is rare but it happens

So for me it is possible that the Storm Bull wind is the same than in Prax. (not for the same reason that irl of course)

The difference may be the violence : far from his home (Prax) the wind is weakest, bringing only few disturbance (dust and heat) sometimes (disturbance or some "anti chaos purification").

That may explain that far from Prax, the storm buller are less violent /more civilized ? (is it really the case or only the memory of some old Otkorion I found on internet years ago ?)

In all case I would not give Storm bull some authority on Valind area (cold / north wind) ; but Storm Bull may struggle /compete / associate with his brothers and then create hurricane or great winds, even where the wind gods are not welcome

In areas where there isn't an equivalent wind, we might find that people double down on the cattle aspect, or perhaps just attribute him a more general lordship of the winds, much like Dragon Pass Orlanthi attribute a more general lordship over wind to Orlanth.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 1:41 AM, jajagappa said:

Tornadoes seem to be the domain of Gagarth the Wild Hunter (e.g. the whirlvishes which he creates).

Orlanth is the prevailing West Wind (including southwesterly winds).

I agree with this, and am only going to point out that Oslir River basin is largely protected from the full force of the easterly Stormbull wind by the Eastern Rockwoods.  As a result, the Pelorians will seldom experience the Bull wind unless it blows up through Dragon Pass, which lies mainly to their south east, which is also where the Stormbull raids from Prax come from.

Speaking of Storm Bull, I was just working on a Balazar myth of Why There Are Tornados in Balazar, or, How the Three Little Giant Mountains Helped Save the World:

When Storm Bull was battling Wakboth the devil, a massive chunk of truestone came flying towards the battleground.  Seeing that this could help Storm Bull, the Three Little Giant Mountains all helped catch it when it landed and then yeeted it up over the Rockwood Mountains into Prax.  Where this happened is now the Bald Hill in High Wood.  All the energy from the deepest mountain roots was put into lobbing the chunk of truestone up over the Rockwoods, and now nothing will grow there.  That’s also why there are shards of Truestone to be found around the enchanted rock, though the Aldryami have collected most already.  Some hunters spend years searching fruitlessly for a piece.

To show his appreciation, Storm Bull will still sometimes come play with his friends the Three Little Giant Mountains, dodging amongst the peaks, playing tag, and wrestling with them.  Sometimes Storm Bull gets thrown into Balazar, and that’s why you see tornados.  It’s just Storm Bull having fun with his friends, which means he’s not thinking about you, and if you don’t want to get stomped, make sure you get to cover quick when you see him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1