RuneQuest Talastar (RQ)

Puckohue

Swedish Runequest: Our development process moves forward. We have decided that the Swedish edition of this game will be called Runequest Talastar (RQT). That title explains what the product it is: a subset of Runequest that takes an in-depth look at the Gloranthan region Talastar. The essential core RQ stuff and a lot of new region-specific material written in the Swedish tradition of making RPGs.

From https://www.patreon.com/posts/59714381

• Like 3

The Swedish edition will focus on Talastar. Therefore, character creation, regional information, cult descriptions, etc are to be written specifically for that region. We will not translate the Dragon Pass "stuff" as it stands, but we may select and rewrite pieces of information that we find relevant for our setting. Edited by Mekanurg
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Note: Mekanurg  contains 100% nerd. Beware of information overload when attached to Mekanurg.

My Blog >>>; my Patreon page >>>; my games at Lulu >>> 

Huh. Who would have thought that being linguistically related to Sweden would finally pay off in a RQ relation.

Talastar... Where in the devil is that though...

Edit: ah, right. Orlanthi even closer to the Lunars and stuck next to Dorastor. Fun times. I wonder what sort of game that Talastar is going to be conductive for.

Edited by KungFuFenris

Søren A. Hjorth
- Freelancer Writer, Cultural Distributer, Font of Less Than Useless Knowledge
https://thenarrativeexploration.wordpress.com/

4 minutes ago, KungFuFenris said:

Edit: ah, right. Orlanthi even closer to the Lunars and stuck next to Dorastor. Fun times. I wonder what sort of game that Talastar is going to be conductive for.

Terrifying ones, if I recall correctly!

The RQ3 Dorastor setting book was great fun, exiles struggling to scratch a living in a hostile land of Call-of-Cthulhu-scale terrors. Plenty of scope for challenges suitable for anything from beginner to Rune-Lord-Priest-Hero characters.

Now that Sartar has thrown off the Lunar occupation, those exiles could return if they were able to, but the Lunar Empire still very much exists and is in the way. A few could Guided Teleport their way right back to their home temples, but that would involve leaving family and friends behind.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:45 PM, Godlearner said:

Which begs a question: Will there be an English translation published?

Great that you're interested in our endeavor. However, at this stage, we can't say anything about an English translation.. I'd suggest that you inquire again in 2023. 😊

• Like 3

Note: Mekanurg  contains 100% nerd. Beware of information overload when attached to Mekanurg.

My Blog >>>; my Patreon page >>>; my games at Lulu >>> 

On 12/10/2021 at 9:38 AM, KungFuFenris said:

Talastar... Where in the devil is that though...

It's the tribe of nearly-civilised Orlanthi near Dorastor.

The Skanthi are less civilised, which is why the Lunars like the Talastari.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:38 AM, KungFuFenris said:

I wonder what sort of game that Talastar is going to be conductive for.

The best kind of games.

Games that include staying Orlanthi while sucking up to the Lunars.

Games that include surviving the horrors that periodically erupt from Dorastor.

Games that include venturing into Dorastor, that Land of Doom, and coming out again, maybe better, maybe worse, but always changed.

As I said, the best kind of games.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:48 AM, PhilHibbs said:

The RQ3 Dorastor setting book was great fun, exiles struggling to scratch a living in a hostile land of Call-of-Cthulhu-scale terrors. Plenty of scope for challenges suitable for anything from beginner to Rune-Lord-Priest-Hero characters.

I am planning a Holiday Dorastor: Risklands supplement, for Jonstown Compendium, that focuses on the Bilini Risklands clan. It should be in the spirit of the RQ3 material, but with a far more emphasis on the clan and how it works, using the things we have learned since then. It should also involve scenarios in Dorastor and a bit of politicking and uncovering secrets.

On 12/9/2021 at 4:32 PM, Puckohue said:

Swedish Runequest: Our development process moves forward. We have decided that the Swedish edition of this game will be called Runequest Talastar (RQT). That title explains what the product it is: a subset of Runequest that takes an in-depth look at the Gloranthan region Talastar. The essential core RQ stuff and a lot of new region-specific material written in the Swedish tradition of making RPGs.

From https://www.patreon.com/posts/59714381

That sounds really good.

I'll try and keep away from Talastar in the Holiday: Dorastor series, concentrating on Bilini instead.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

It's the tribe of nearly-civilised Orlanthi near Dorastor.

The Skanthi are less civilised, which is why the Lunars like the Talastari.

The terminology is actually really tricky here - Talastar can be:

a) The entire region of Brolia, Anadiki, Talastar "proper" including Biliniland, Skanthiland, and sometimes even Lakrene. This is what the Guide includes under the Talastar chapter header. Maybe we should call this "Greater Talastar", but it might be a construct of a view from above, like Lunars using "Talastar" as a synonym for "Western Pelorian Barbarians". I don't see Brolians and Bilini feeling they are one country.

b) The land of the seven Talastari tribes, minus whatever parts of them are under Lakrene rule. I think this is the best use, personally. Let's call this "Talastar Proper".

c) The seven tribes area minus Skanthiland (i.e. Biliniland and the other five non-Skanthi tribes). The map in the Guide suggests this.

d) Less sure about this, but some maps use it for the land of the five Talastari tribes that aren't Skanthi or Bilini.  

I'm unclear about whether Opand of Voraneel was even theoretically king of Anadiki and Brolia, for instance. I can't imagine the Brolians came for White Shirt Day - it was probably just the seven tribes minus the Skanthi. On the other hand, why not go big while you're at it?

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

I am planning a Holiday Dorastor: Risklands supplement, for Jonstown Compendium, that focuses on the Bilini Risklands clan. It should be in the spirit of the RQ3 material, but with a far more emphasis on the clan and how it works, using the things we have learned since then. It should also involve scenarios in Dorastor and a bit of politicking and uncovering secrets.

Really looking forwards to this - the Risklands-related parts of the Spider Woods module look like a lot of fun!

Edited by Akhôrahil

The Talastari are probably less civilized than urban Sartar, about as civilized as most of the Colymar, and probably more civilized than the Varmandi. (But then, who in Sartar except for the Telmori or Brangbane is not?)

The Old Day Traditionalists so ruthlessly crushed by the EWF leader Isgangdrang came from here, but then those traditionalist Orlanthi of the Second Age were quite civilized and urban, with a strong priesthood, much like their EWF counterparts, just anti-dragon.

Their heirs flocked to the banners of Alakoring  adopting his style of kingship. Similar to how the Hendriki adopted the Rex rites a little later, in time for carrying them into Esrolia in the Adjustment Wars.

Skanthi and Anadikki are the feral type of Orlanthi - some pastoralism, some forest agriculture, a lot hunting and gathering, and a lot raiding or taking tribute for not raiding. The Skanthi appear to continue Penentelli (Vingkotling) customs, inherited from Porscriptor the Cannibal. Like sending initiands naked into the wilderness with nothing but a spear and a knife. to survive and gain small amounts of fame.

Talastari and Anadikki are of mostly non-Heortling stock, descendants of other pastoralists that descended into the Foothills of the Rockwood and Nidan mountains some time in the late Golden Age or at latest early in the Storm Age. No idea whether they would be bull Orlanthi like most clans and tribes west of them. There may be some bear worship influencing the Anadikki, as Arakang the Pelorian Bear God (not Odayla in name, but pretty much in function) comes from that region inside the satrapies (mainly Doblian, some Darjiin).

The official bear Orlanthi are the ancestors of Jonat in Fronela (surrounded by bull Orlanthi on both sides of the foothills) and the Sylilans.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

The Skanthi appear to continue Penentelli (Vingkotling) customs, inherited from Porscriptor the Cannibal

I picture the Skanthi just maintaining some (but probably a fair amount, considering how conservative they are) of their Penenthelli customs.

The bit about the Infithtelli migration into Talastar is fascinating though - do we know where they settled, or anything at all after the Battle of Night And Day? Did they leave any marks? 

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

No idea whether they would be bull Orlanthi like most clans and tribes west of them. There may be some bear worship influencing the Anadikki, as Arakang the Pelorian Bear God (not Odayla in name, but pretty much in function) comes from that region inside the satrapies (mainly Doblian, some Darjiin).

The Talastari don't strike me as particularly Bull-centric. It's sheep and rams all the way for them. The Brolians are likely bull Orlanthi though.

Odayla should be a big deal among the Skanthi as well, as one of the three gods they had at the Dawn.

Edited by Akhôrahil

32 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Nope, got Pene(ne)'s and Infithe's husbands mixed up.

But we still do get Infithtelli in Talastar (HotHP p. 10). I had completely missed that before. I imagine the tribe gets disbanded by Lokamayadon and they disappear from history post-Arkat? Might show up as bloodlines, maybe. 

Edited by Akhôrahil

• 3 weeks later...