Pavis & Big Rubble Companion: The Directors' Cut Relaunch

Ian A. Thomson

All awesome

Yes, sounds like some good sources to reference

Timelines are always going to change. MGF rather than sticking to official timelines

I developed a lot of my work in consultation with Greg Stafford including the secrets of Pavis, but even he could have changed his mind later [13 March Edit: And I have found out that he did, but mostly that's good, cos a whole heap of ideas I discussed with Greg that were secrets at that time that he asked me not to reveal, are now no longer considered officially credible. So here we go!]

Basically I see Glorantha as part of the multiverse. :)

Maybe Argrath did some epic Pavis stuff in one version, but it was Peter Parker (I mean the Grey Company) in the timeline I am writing about :)

Edited by Ian Thomson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

Hi Folks

In order to republish the P&BR Companions we need to get permission from some people in order to use pieces that they heavily collaborated on, or in a couple of cases did most of the work on

Otherwise, a few things will simply have to be left out, and others heavily or totally rewritten (which is certainly possible but time-consuming in an already-epic process)

PERMISSIONS STILL SOUGHT: Here are the names, if anyone can put me in touch with any of them that would be so appreciated:

## NO CONTACT DETAILS KNOWN:

* Paul Sommer  - some excellent maps [I remember Paul as being exceptionally friendly and helpful, so if I can't locate him I will use his maps anyway, and if he reappears obviously he is due a free copy.]

* Lowell Francis & Sherri L Stewart for big help with the Pavis Old Mint piece

* Oliver Dickinson - letting me use his characters (the Rowdy Boys) as a Pavic Gang and seeing if he will let me keep his story from Shadows of Pavis in the series

* Sergio Mascerenhas helped with some great ideas for Indagos Oasis

* Vincent Jugie - significant assistance with the Horn Gate article

* James Holden - significant assistance with the Morocanth of the River of Cradles article

* Mitch Lockhart - Tales of the Kiertianni of Pavis County

* Craig Pays - the original Ever-Burning Torches scenario that I adapted for TT17

* Nick Davison - additional information for Kakstan's Art Museum scenario

## MESSAGE SENT (RESPONSE PENDING) If anyone knows these people and has more reliable access to them, please send them a note on my behalf. No responses received so far.

* Mike Dawson - Troll Occupation Timeline, Red Stallions Heroband (original idea), and co-writing the Flintnail One Day House piece and the little Aldryami Planting Song ritual idea (both in TT9)

## PERMISSIONS EXTREMELY GRATEFULLY RECEIVED - YAY! :)

* Pavis County was a joint creation between myself Jeff Richard, John Hughes and Dave Bell (not heard back from Jeff, and no trace of Dave, but their contribution while very helpful was not critical, so we are good to go with Pavis County! yay!)

* Wesley Quadros - Orlanth Dragonfriend piece, and some great assistance (I think I have found him in BC, though his Glorantha website shut down a few years ago) [Tracked him down via internet sleuthery.] :)

* Michael O'Brien for the original version of Jalmar Ironsword

* James Frusetta for key assistance with the 'Pavic Variations on Troll Religions' piece and very helpful input into the Kaggroka Contests

* Andrew Graham - The Fivewinds Gang

* Martin Crim - Seven Masks of Pavis

* Peter Johannson  - main-author of Zebra Fort piece, assisting with design of Opili subcult, and the bulk of the Real Inn article

* Peter Johannson & Sten Ahrman for co-writing 'Trolls of the Rubble' with me, and also co-writing Opili's Fort scenario

* Peter Maranci - The original Grey Company online piece

* Sarah Evans - illustrations and cover for Rough Guide to Pavis City

* Bo Rosen - piece on Old Pavic architecture and one of the Pavis County herobands

* Alban Schmid and Christoph Kohring for the original Crimson Shadows over Prax scenario that I adapted for TT8 (sad to learn that Alban is no longer with us)

* Eric Vanel - map of Prax

* Mark Galeotti - Red Moon Over Pavis section in 'Masks Of Pavis', and a small piece on Lunar spies called 'Dustbowl Circus'

* John R Hutchinson - significant assistance with the Dwarf Drinks article

* Julian Lord - helped out significantly with the Uleria Cult piece

* Simon Phipp - the Unicorn Quest & Joraz Kyrem Gains An Ally (TT9)

* Mark Galeotti - Red Moon Over Pavis section in 'Masks Of Pavis', and a small piece on Lunar spies called 'Dustbowl Circus'

* Darren Happens & Ingo Tschinke - co-authors with me of the New Pavis Knowledge Temple piece

* Erik Nolander - co-writing Zebra Folk Of Pavis & Zebra Tribe of Pavis County & Prax

Edited by Ian Thomson
  • Like 1

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

Looks like I will be doing Layout as well

Which is the best layout program to use if I want to prepare the relaunched Companion for both pdf and hardcopy prints?

And by best I mean a combo of simple to use and cheap to buy!!

Thanks

2 hours ago, Ian Thomson said:

Hi Folks

In order to republish the P&BR Companions we need to get permission from some people in order to use pieces that they heavily collaborated on, or in a couple of cases did most of the work on

Otherwise, a few things will simply have to be left out, and others heavily or totally rewritten (which is certainly possible but time-consuming in an already-epic process)

Here are the names, if anyone can put me in touch with any of them that would be so appreciated:

* John R Hutchinson - significant assistance with the Dwarf Drinks article

Permission granted for bringing back the drunk dwarfs

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

* Eric Vanel - map of Prax

There's a contact form on Eric's website: https://www.ericvanel.com/

* Peter Maranci - The original Grey Company online piece

Contact details on his website: http://www.maranci.net/rq.htm (scroll to very bottom)

* Julian Lord - helped out significantly with the Uleria Cult piece

Paging @Julian Lord.

Paging @soltakss.

* Alban Schmid and Christoph Kohring for the original Crimson Shadows over Prax scenario that I adapted for TT8

Paging @Christoph Kohring.

• Like 1

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

4 hours ago, Ian Thomson said:

Mark Galeotti is on Facebook, if nothing else. Unsurprisingly, he's getting a bit of exposure these days.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Mark Galeotti is on Facebook, if nothing else. Unsurprisingly, he's getting a bit of exposure these days.

I am not on Facebook. Would you be able to politely ask him for an email address on my behalf?

Edited by Ian Thomson

7 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

Affinity Publisher, bought it a year ago for € 34,99

Thanks for the advice guys

And this creates a document that can be uploaded directly to Jonstown Compendium?

5 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

There's a contact form on Eric's website: https://www.ericvanel.com/

Contact details on his website: http://www.maranci.net/rq.htm (scroll to very bottom)

Paging @Julian Lord.

Paging @soltakss.

Paging @Christoph Kohring.

OMG I'm actually already talking to Simon here. Doh!!! :)

Thanks for the other info. Huge appreciation, and on it now

6 hours ago, Snugz said:

Permission granted for bringing back the drunk dwarfs

Guess we should probably formalise this at least a bit :) Can you please message me here with some small details about yourself and an email address so I can add it to the Permissions document. Much appreciated :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ian Thomson said:

Maybe Argrath did some epic Pavis stuff in one version, but it was Peter Parker (I mean the Grey Company) in the timeline I am writing about 🙂

Not to distract from the original topic, but Argrath totally strikes me as the sort of person who ended up getting credit for a whole lot of other people's hard work.

Just now, Harry the Dirty Dog said:

Not to distract from the original topic, but Argrath totally strikes me as the sort of person who ended up getting credit for a whole lot of other people's hard work.

Exactly! :) 

That's it, few more words necessary....

Totally my sense of things! :)

STATUS UPDATE

I believe I now have all the material

- original text from the Rough Guide to Old Pavis, the Companions & Associated Tradetalks

- all the bonus articles that didn't fit or were never quite finished

- the unfinished notes for the grand finale of the campaign (that was played and completed)

- permission (thanks Dario) to use his original images (plus access to more via his pdfs on the Compendium, which I will surely buy)

So where I am at now, is:

* Continuing to reformat to basic sense and accessibility all the text salvaged from pdfs. This is an enormous job that has taken days so far, but likely only requires another day or two to complete

* Working with a few 'Champions of Pavis' volunteers who are doing some of the back-breaking behind the scenes labour so I can focus on the formatting and the new writings to be placed into the Directors Cut of the series. (Yes there will be new material of course!)

* Trying to get in touch with collaborators on the original material for permission to use their work

* Starting to get as many of the original images into a useable form as possible, and collect other images too

* Starting to consider learning a Layout program I can use to present this material in ways that it can be both pdf and hardcopy

* Looking for someone already comfortable with layout to design a cover. My sense is that as a series it can have a cool, simple esoteric looking cover with some kind of Pavic symbol/s on, and just use that for every publication in the series. Obviously with changed title and vol number

Here's a little scenario outline I thought of earlier:

FLINTNAIL & I

It is the Year 829. The Age of Flowers is coming to an end in the EWF. Two unemployed actors are living in a squat in Adari and begrudgingly looking for work, whilst drinking way too much fermented zebra-milk, and smoking far too much voralans fungus. One, a half-elf, decides that they need to get out of town for a bit in order to clear their heads. The other, a dwarf, can barely drag himself away from the finest wines known to civilisation at that time. Eventually they gather together some friends and head off into the East. It is the biggest mistake of their lives.

Notable Quotes:

"We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell. Making an enemy of our future. What we need is harmony."

"We've come to Prax by mistake."

"Stop saying that Flintnail; of course it's a f*kng llama!"

"I feel like a broo shat in my head."

"If I spike you, you'll know you've been spoken to!"

"This place is uninhabitable. We'll be found dead here next Season."

"A coward you are, Flintnail; an expert on bison you are not!"

Edited by Ian Thomson
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

A few people here already know the program and may be able to help, but if you are using Affinity and find yourself stuck, feel free to let me know.

The PDF that Bill linked had a lot of things set up right, but the colour choices are for printing, not PDF.  It shouldn't matter, but the colours will be a bit brighter if you can change that.  However, it's a fiddly job.  Someone else might do it for you.  I could fish out a non-print file for you as well if you like.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2022 at 1:41 PM, Ian Thomson said:

Permission granted and I have some cool images that I can share with you, if I can get permission for you to use them.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

7 hours ago, soltakss said:

Permission granted and I have some cool images that I can share with you, if I can get permission for you to use them.

Ooh, awesome

Let me know about the permission

I am almost ready to start laying out the first volume to be released, which will the the Rough Guide to Pavis City (slightly expanded on the previous version)

I also need some permissions first, and also the stats are still being worked on, but we are getting close

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ian Thomson said:
14 hours ago, soltakss said:

Ooh, awesome

Let me know about the permission

Simon is happy for you to use the images, in return for credits and a contributor copy.

I have also checked with Darren and he is happy for you to use the Knowledge Temple, but needs to be credited as Darren Happens.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

Fantastic, thanks so much

Which Simon (full name please), and which images (Yelornan?). Just to be super clear. 

Excellent about Darren. Tell him thanks heaps

5 hours ago, Ian Thomson said:

Which Simon (full name please), and which images (Yelornan?). Just to be super clear. 

Simon Bray is happy for you to use the Yelornan Unicorn Quest images that I sent you.

Simon Phipp is happy for you to use the Unicorn Quest and Joras Kyrem Gains an Ally HeroQuests and will even convert them to RQG/QW/Secrets of HeroQuesting format.

Darren Happens is happy to be credited as Darren Happens, for the Knowledge Temple material.

5 hours ago, Ian Thomson said:

Excellent about Darren. Tell him thanks heaps

Will do. He was always quite proud of that article. I liked it as soon as I saw it, before I knew Darren.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1