Question on Mastakos

Beorne

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

As a charioteer, I suspect that most of the things that he did in the God Time were in service to Orlanth. He didn't do a lot on his own, so he is worshipped in combination with Orlanth as he doesn't have a well-defined independent identity.

And Magasta.  He's also charioteer for the King of the Seas (and is who he first served). 

But the charioteer aspect is what is most noted - he carries others, so does not have standalone myths that we are aware of.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

As a charioteer, I suspect that most of the things that he did in the God Time were in service to Orlanth. He didn't do a lot on his own, so he is worshipped in combination with Orlanth as he doesn't have a well-defined independent identity.

that what I see when I reade the (old) gods of glorantha, and that is hard to me to see the change Rune Owner be reduced to a simple (no offense) charioteer

If he were not the Rune Owner ,no problem.

Does it mean in fact Orlanth is behind Mastakos ? Or Larnste is still the true owner and Mastakos only a mask ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

that what I see when I reade the (old) gods of glorantha, and that is hard to me to see the change Rune Owner be reduced to a simple (no offense) charioteer

If he were not the Rune Owner ,no problem.

Does it mean in fact Orlanth is behind Mastakos ? Or Larnste is still the true owner and Mastakos only a mask ?

From The Well:

Some philosophers believe that he survived by transmuting himself into another form, god, or power, and thus is no longer Larnste.

It would be a pretty transparent disguise, to still be the owner of the Movement rune!

"No, my name is Robert Abrams, I am the new owner of Chelsea. I don't know what happened to the last guy. But he definitely isn't me."

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I would say he is important to someone, as he has his own planet, and a fairly noticeable one. But he is not very important for Orlanthi.

Maybe he is important in some other part of Glorantha. Or he is really Larnste hiding in plain sight. Owner of a rune is a God Learner concept that most Gloranthans would not even consider.

Or maybe Larnste is divided in several pieces / gods, with Mastakos as the rune holder, and it is waiting for someone to reunite them again, and bring change back in full glory to the world. 

One of those things I appreciate, the blank areas where your opinion is worth the same as anybody else, until Stasis / Canon fixes it in amber. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Beorne said:

Mastakos is the Orlanthi God of movement and the actual keeper of the movement rune, so he is an "important" God.

Why is he rarely worshiped alone? He neither appears in RQ:G rulebook.

Thanks.

The same reason that Horkos, the enforcer of oaths in Greek religion, had no independent cult and was often conflated as "Zeus Horkios". Horkos was massively important in practice, but was not worshiped in cultic fashion except as a part of Zeus's retinue of names. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

On 3/16/2022 at 11:32 AM, PhilHibbs said:

Not quite true - his big contribution to the Sea Tribe may have been stirring the incoming rush of water to seal out the Chaos Rift, and the Maelstrom may be where he spends the rest of his time, moving very fast almost in place.

IMO Orlanth retrieved Mastakos when he went to Daliath's Well of Wisdom, undergoing the Baths of Nelat on the way. Through the funnel of air inside the Maelstrom, as far as I can tell.

This doesn't stop Orlanth from using Mastakos' chariot prior to the Breaking of the World. Godtime moves in mysterious spirals up and down such major changes to Godtime, and pre-shadowing is common, like Vingkot's death by self-immolation to escape a lethal wound received in the Battle of Stormfall long after his reign and life"time".

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis