Strangers in Prax?

Ian A. Thomson

On 3/23/2022 at 3:54 AM, Rick Meints said:

All that being said, we did have some fans recreate the Gateway Bestiary for us for free. That was extremely generous (and unexpected) of them, and it is the only reason we now have it for sale as a POD title (and PDF) on Chaosium.com

Is an exact fan recreation an option for SiP that you would be happy to receive, now that all the text and images are recovered?

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

1 hour ago, Pentallion said:

Now I'm curious if I could bang out a RQG conversion of Julan in a couple hours.

Assuming I did so, would I be in trouble for posting him on this thread?

I'd like to see that, if only for 'villain' purposes.

Edited by svensson

As an alternative, you could certainly post "just the new bits" -- your best guess at Julan's Passions and Runes, as per RQG. But we don't want to see regurgitated, ever-so-slightly tweaked Chaosium statblocks on these forums ("delete Fatigue Points and missile hit locations; for APP read CHA throughout"), or indeed in community content.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

As an alternative, you could certainly post "just the new bits" -- your best guess at Julan's Passions and Runes, as per RQG. But we don't want to see regurgitated, ever-so-slightly tweaked Chaosium statblocks on these forums ("delete Fatigue Points and missile hit locations; for APP read CHA throughout"), or indeed in community content.

okay, well, Julan's runes are 80% Moon, 60% Fire, 60% Water (based on his high dex), 75% Death and 75% Truth.

His passions are Loyalty Red Emperor 90%, Loyalty to Coders 80%, Love Johana 60%

I was surprised to see Julan had the Battle skill though I don't remember it existing in RQ3.

his hit points went up to 25. His spells remained the same. I swapped his ceremony with Worship, his enchant with Cult Lore and his summons with spirit combat.

His allied spirit gained a 16 CHA.

His skills remained the same, but his modifiers all changed.

It was very easy and done in less than an hour.

• Like 4

That may be nitpicking, but I would have Loyalty Lunar Empire rather than the Red Emperor (I do not see Argenteus as the focus of loyalty for a man like Julan, and I do not think they have met), and higher loyalty to the Coders than to the Empire. I also would have a higher Love Anderida than love Johana, as I assume his love for Johana is just a sublimation of his love for her mother. I would add loyalty Appius Luxus, as his commanding officer.

For me Anderida is the linchpin of the Coders, as all male characters love her, and she loves them back. Estal is the weak point as she has unreciprocated love for Julan.

I would also add a moderately high Honor, 75 or 80, as he sometimes has to break it. High devotion YT and the Lunar Way are a given.

12 hours ago, Pentallion said:

I was surprised to see Julan had the Battle skill though I don't remember it existing in RQ3.

Battle skill by Greg Stafford appeared in Different Worlds  #28 (1983) and Tales of the Reaching Moon #6 (1992). I've always assumed it was never included in RQ2 & 3 as a space saver and stopped people then asking where the battle system was.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 6/18/2022 at 11:32 PM, JRE said:

That may be nitpicking, but I would have Loyalty Lunar Empire rather than the Red Emperor (I do not see Argenteus as the focus of loyalty for a man like Julan, and I do not think they have met), and higher loyalty to the Coders than to the Empire. I also would have a higher Love Anderida than love Johana, as I assume his love for Johana is just a sublimation of his love for her mother. I would add loyalty Appius Luxus, as his commanding officer.

For me Anderida is the linchpin of the Coders, as all male characters love her, and she loves them back. Estal is the weak point as she has unreciprocated love for Julan.

I would also add a moderately high Honor, 75 or 80, as he sometimes has to break it. High devotion YT and the Lunar Way are a given.

He has to have loyalty to Red Emperor to be a runelord per RQG.

• Like 1

NPCs do not need to follow the same rules as PCs, and I would expect the YT cult to be somewhat different from the Seven Mothers provincial cult. I still would prefer, for plot reasons, if Julan is loyal to the Empire and the Lunar way, and not to the current emperor. But that is probably just me. We will see when we get the GoG. It is easier to be loyal to an idealized ruler fae away than a real and fallible one. 

On 6/24/2022 at 1:18 PM, JRE said:

NPCs do not need to follow the same rules as PCs, and I would expect the YT cult to be somewhat different from the Seven Mothers provincial cult. I still would prefer, for plot reasons, if Julan is loyal to the Empire and the Lunar way, and not to the current emperor.

You could also decide that Loyalty (Red Emperor) applies to the position and not the individual, if that helps.

• 1 year later...
On 6/24/2022 at 4:18 AM, JRE said:

NPCs do not need to follow the same rules as PCs, and I would expect the YT cult to be somewhat different from the Seven Mothers provincial cult. I still would prefer, for plot reasons, if Julan is loyal to the Empire and the Lunar way, and not to the current emperor. But that is probably just me. We will see when we get the GoG. It is easier to be loyal to an idealized ruler fae away than a real and fallible one. 

I always thought it was the other way around. PCs need not follow the same rules as NPCs. That's what made them Pretty Cool as compared to Not Pretty Cool.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2022 at 10:38 AM, Akhôrahil said:

You could also decide that Loyalty (Red Emperor) applies to the position and not the individual, if that helps.

Yes. Otherwise it would be 'Loyalty - Argentius', or whichever Mask he was loyal to.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...