Example of a Chalana Arroy hero?

Scorus

A new Chalana Arroy character in my game has a worshipped hero ancestor from the same cult. Can anyone point me to a publication with a good example of a Chalana Arroy hero? Heroquest, Runequest, or whatever source works!

Ideas on what resulted in her hero status:

• Heroquested to cure an uncurable malady.
  • Defeated a primal disease spirit to eliminate an entire disease from Glorantha.
  • Prevented or ended a major war.
  • Converted a horrid warlord, or even an entire warrior kingdom, to pacifism.

Other ideas from this creative crew most welcome!

The Wild Healer of the Rockwood Mountains is a contemporary hero of CA. Unfortunately, he is a broo

Rune Masters had RQ2-style rune lord and rune-lord priest characters for CA. Not that canonical any more, though.

The Orlanthi have produced plenty of CA heroquesters for their interpretations of the Lightbringer myths, but few names are recorded.

There is a White Lady in the short piece "The Missionaries"

If I had to make up a heroic CA ancestor, I probably would go about and invent Sartar's Chalana Arroy companion on his Westfaring quest (to get a wyter for his new kingdom). Ties to the royal house, etc. Maybe have her involved in a disease in connection to King Brangbane.

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

10 hours ago, Joerg said:

If I had to make up a heroic CA ancestor, I probably would go about and invent Sartar's Chalana Arroy companion on his Westfaring quest (to get a wyter for his new kingdom). Ties to the royal house, etc. Maybe have her involved in a disease in connection to King Brangbane.

Yeah, I was hoping to have them be the central figure and not a companion. But that may not be in the cards.

I don't want or need Rune Masters style stats, just a good story that I can develop into a minor spirit cult with a shrine inside a Chalana Arroy temple (probably Jonstown).

• Like 1

Argrath had two healing companions in KoS, but they do not merit much mention. The first died at the battle of Yoran. The second did not return from the Lightbringer Quest. 

The cult limitations and the pantheon's structure tend to orient the healers in a support rather than Main role. There are few pacifist countries in Glorantha and as far as I know they are not inspired by the White Lady. However the healer that helped Sartar in the Westfaring, and probably earning special concessions for healers within Sartar would be a good Sartarite hero for Jonstown. Just making sure the apotheosized founder actually survived his great undertaking should be enough for a hero cult.

I would echo participating on the Lightbringers Quest as a good place to start.

Alternatively, a hero who gives a small Spirit Spell or Runespell to the local Chalana Arroy Cult might work. All you ned is the story of how they gained the power/ability.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

In more ancient time there are also the Sisters of Mercy, daughters or adopted daughters of Chalana Arroy, a remnant of the EWF (Second Age, at least 500 years old) and still worshipped in Prax, Maniria, and South Peloria as a subcult of Chalana Arroy. One could use one of the named Holy Sisters Malamse, Oronio, Amprefesne, or for example add a more recent High Priestess that kept the cult alive.

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/gloranthan-documents/prosopaedia/deities/c/chalana-arroy/the-sisters-of-mercy/

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 8/3/2022 at 12:19 AM, Scorus said:

Heroquest, Runequest, or whatever source works!

Ideas on what resulted in her hero status:

• Heroquested to cure an uncurable malady.
  • Defeated a primal disease spirit to eliminate an entire disease from Glorantha.
  • Prevented or ended a major war.
  • Converted a horrid warlord, or even an entire warrior kingdom, to pacifism.

Check out some of the Heortling heroes in the Heortling Mythology book starting on p.174.  These include the Sisters of Mercy noted above but are fairly brief.

For example:

Amprefesne Status: Hero; Date: Imperial Age; Place: Southern Peloria and Maniria; Worshippers: Healers; Cult: Chalana Arroy

Amprefesne, one of the mortal daughters of Chalana Arroy is one of the Three Holy Sisters of Mercy. She combats the demons that cause illness.

You could also check out the two rival healer hero bands described in HeroQuest book Masters of Luck and Fate.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Sartar. He refused to use violence and brought people together, so he was probably a CA initiate himself? He also refused to use harmful magic: on the occasions when he has to he turns assasins in to termites (more forgiving than Argrath) and sorcerers in to Brass Mules. Sartarites might not want to acknowledge it but he was clearly a worshipper of Chalana Arroy.  🙂

25 minutes ago, CJ said:

Sartar. He refused to use violence and brought people together, so he was probably a CA initiate himself? He also refused to use harmful magic: on the occasions when he has to he turns assasins in to termites (more forgiving than Argrath) and sorcerers in to Brass Mules. Sartarites might not want to acknowledge it but he was clearly a worshipper of Chalana Arroy.  🙂

that's an option but I would not buy it 🙂

I would say Sartar the politician, his main purpose is to demonstrate that tribes may change their way of life,  discuss and build something bigger than their addition. so "hey see my example there are other ways than violence, you can change for your best"

Following your example I would say that turns assassins into termites is not allowed by CA : you don't heal them, you don't stop them, you impair them for their entire life.

Heortling Mythology gives us three Chalana Arroy heroes with Hero cults:

The three Sisters of Mercy:

• Amprefesne - She combats the demons that cause illness
  • Malamse - powers of overcoming injuries of the body
  • Oronio -  overcome illnesses of the mind.

They will also appear in the upcoming cults book

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/