Updates on Mythras titles?

TrippyHippy

Sorry, to clarify, it was mooted that there would be a new Luther Arkwright edition - possibly a standalone game like Lyonnesse? - sometime after Bryan Talbot finished a new Luther Arkwright graphic novel. The Legend of Luther Arkwright released in 2022 is now available, and I believe there is also some TV adaptation coming too. So, is there a new Mythras based game coming in 2023?

Edited by TrippyHippy

1 hour ago, TrippyHippy said:

Just wanting a catch up on a few projected Mythras titles that I am interested in. Namely, what is happening with the following: 

- Mythic Polynesia?

- Mythic Greece?

- Luther Arkwright? '

Please feel free to add inquiries/information on any other upcoming title. 

Ta.

Polynesia should be out shortly. Greece I don’t think has a date or even out of writing. Arkwright I don’t know anything about. 

the design mechanism newsletter has the most recent official info, and worth the subscription. They’ve got a very full pipeline

• Helpful 1

18 hours ago, TrippyHippy said:

Sorry, to clarify, it was mooted that there would be a new Luther Arkwright edition - possibly a standalone game like Lyonnesse? - sometime after Bryan Talbot finished a new Luther Arkwright graphic novel. The Legend of Luther Arkwright released in 2022 is now available, and I believe there is also some TV adaptation coming too. So, is there a new Mythras based game coming in 2023?

Funnily enough I had the exact same thought yesterday "hey wasn't there supposed to be a new edition of Luther Arkwright".

It occured to me as I was reading the Loz written Elric of Melnibone for MRQ2 and thought "man, I'd love this as a complete game for Mythras!". I know, I know the version I have is fully usable with Mythras...

Edited by DreadDomain
  • Haha 1

When TDM moved to their new online shop site, they took the time to update the Luther Arkwright core rulebook, retooling it for Mythras rather than RQ6. New logo bottom left, and Mythras has replaced RQ6 and RuneQuest in the interior, afaict.

image.thumb.png.a1d69de5e1bbc02a97405a42cdb1497f.png

If there is a new Luther Arkwright, it's probably going to have to include more Heart of Empire and Legend of Luther Arkwright material, including rules for creating Homo novus and Homo eximia characters, and so on. As well as, possibly, setting stories hundreds, even thousands, of years into the future.

I'm keeping an eye out on this title.

• Like 2

Author of Fioracitta for Mythras and the 2d6 SFRPG setting of Castrobancla.

We will update Luther Arkwright to include the material from 'The Legend of Luther Arkwright', although you're unlikely to see more from 'Heart of Empire'. The latter takes place (mostly) on one parallel, and the rules from the main book cover everything needed. 'Legend' though, develops things, and so the game will also develop to reflect the new content. It will also be a standalone game. When will it be released? No idea. We haven't started working on it at all.

Subscribers to our newsletter should have a sneak peak of four new books coming out this year, including Mythic Polynesia.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

8 hours ago, Alex Greene said:

When TDM moved to their new online shop site, they took the time to update the Luther Arkwright core rulebook, retooling it for Mythras rather than RQ6. New logo bottom left, and Mythras has replaced RQ6 and RuneQuest in the interior, afaict.

@lawrence.whitaker. Trying to figure out how to update (I think it is up-dateable) a purchase of Luther Arkwright from DriveThru which I bought as part of a Bundle of Holding. Can it be done? 

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 1 month later...

I really love the Mythras line even if Im not currently playing it. I have a question about your product strategy. It seems that you create a lot of (extremely good) source books but not that many scenarios or campaigns for those. I love to play Mesopotamia, Babyon and in other settings but I - as a GM - would prefer if you built more on the ones that is already published. I think more campaigns and scenarios for - example Mythic Britain - would be more helpful than completely new settings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

I really love the Mythras line even if Im not currently playing it. I have a question about your product strategy. It seems that you create a lot of (extremely good) source books but not that many scenarios or campaigns for those. I love to play Mesopotamia, Babyon and in other settings but I - as a GM - would prefer if you built more on the ones that is already published. I think more campaigns and scenarios for - example Mythic Britain - would be more helpful than completely new settings.

I suspect it depends -- a lot -- on what gets pitched to them by freelancers.   But remember -- scenarios & campaigns don't sell as well as the sourcebooks themselves.

On the TDM website, though, I see they are actively soliciting writers to write adventures &c for existing setting/source books.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

This topic has come up a couple of times in various places, and as G33k says, a lot depends on what is pitched to us. Our most recent Mythras Matters Podcast tackles exactly this question, and as Brian and I explain, we really do want to see scenarios and expansions for our existing titles, ands we will be prioritising such over brand new settings in the future.

G33k's also right in that scenarios tend not to see as well as sourcebooks - but that's not a problem. We have a publishing model that can cope with reduced demand, and we believe that even though not necessarily as lucrative, scenarios for established settings help promote and keep the setting alive, so they are important and we will invest in them.

We just need more people writing them. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

17 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

... we believe that even though not necessarily as lucrative, scenarios for established settings help promote and keep the setting alive, so they are important and we will invest in them.

I believe this was something WotC determined for D&D, in their research before producing 3.0 (one of the very few bits of in-depth "market research" for RPGs that I know of).
The PHB was the big moneymaker; DMG+MM (and an occasional other title) were also profitable, tho not hugely so.

The rest of the product-line (adventures, campaigns, settig- & source-books, etc) they were lucky if each one broke even... BUT it kept the system vibrant, the market engaged.

If it mostly paid for itself, then it was de facto "free advertising" as gaming blogs & podcasts talked about it, forums & FBGroups chatted, etc.  Even if it didn't pay for itself, it was among the most cost-effective "advertising dolllars" they could spend!

C'es ne pas un .sig

38 minutes ago, g33k said:

I believe this was something WotC determined for D&D, in their research before producing 3.0 (one of the very few bits of in-depth "market research" for RPGs that I know of).
The PHB was the big moneymaker; DMG+MM (and an occasional other title) were also profitable, tho not hugely so.

The rest of the product-line (adventures, campaigns, settig- & source-books, etc) they were lucky if each one broke even... BUT it kept the system vibrant, the market engaged.

4th edition line of products was based on these results, and it proved to be not so reliable. WotC tried to maximize profit by selling the kind of products they thought players wanted. That is, essentially multiple Player's Handbooks and players option books, then monster manuals and last scenarios. But in the end, it didn't sell as much as they hoped, especially option books.

For 5th edition, they tried another kind of market research. Instead of trying to figure out what their customers wanted out of their sales numbers, they did it through their playtest feedbacks. There were very few rules or technical questions asked required during this time. Instead they regularly asked "do you like option XXX ?" or "does option YYY feel like d&D to you ?" I guess the reason for that is that the number one negative answer that they got was that 4e "didn't feel like" D&D.

I personally prefer 4th edition over 5th, but the latter is definitely a better selling line...

5 hours ago, Mugen said:

4th edition line of products was based on these results, and it proved to be not so reliable. WotC tried to maximize profit by selling the kind of products they thought players wanted. That is, essentially multiple Player's Handbooks and players option books, then monster manuals and last scenarios. But in the end, it didn't sell as much as they hoped, especially option books.

That isn't my understanding.  The extensive research was pre-3e, and informed the 3e game (and the OGL/SRD direction:  they were opening the game so that ALL the d20 glut would drive toward more PHB (and other WotC, but mostly PHB) purchases -- that would be "free advertising" for them, too! ).

I think 4e kept an eye on those lessons, but they got greedy and tried for (as you say) "essentially multiple Player's Handbooks and players option books."

But also, they were looking at the CRPG markets, and were hoping to take a seat at THAT table, too, resulting in several criticisms of the "feel" of 4e.

For a while, AIUI, the 3.x-derived Pathfinder actually *outsold* D&D4e...

I think the *majority* of the 4e direction came from the fevered brains of executives & marketing folks, with much less derived from the older market-research that informed 3e.

Edited by g33k
But we are REALLY straying afield from the topic of the thread, TDM's sub-forum, and BRPC itself; to the Inn? Apologies all!

C'es ne pas un .sig