Some magic questions..

Mordante

I'm currently reading the roleplaying in glorantha and have some questions regarding magic which I hope you can help me with.

1. Can you take defensive action while casting such dodge or parrying?

2. Can you cast multiple spells in a round if strike ranks allow e.g healing spells or offensive such as disruption.

27 minutes ago, Mordante said:

I'm currently reading the roleplaying in glorantha and have some questions regarding magic which I hope you can help me with.

1. Can you take defensive action while casting such dodge or parrying?

Generally yes, however a GM might reasonably require a concentration roll if you receive a wound before your SR turn. 

27 minutes ago, Mordante said:

2. Can you cast multiple spells in a round if strike ranks allow e.g healing spells or offensive such as disruption.

Yes, but only one offensive spell per round. but cast as many non-offensive spells as you like, assuming you have struck ranks.

I note that you are duplicating these questions over on Reddit, I am david-chaosium over on Reddit and scotty here. If you post them here as well, I will answer them only here. If you want open answers with discussion, you can post them in the RQ forum. I'm on UK time so answers are when I'm awake.

If you want official answers, please post in the Q&A thread where there is no discussion: https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/15243-runequest-qa/

53 minutes ago, Mordante said:

I've just considered another situation..

Can you cast non offensive spells and a offensive spell in the same round and does the order matter?

I would say yes, but I'm quite loose with spell casting and would allow multiple disruptions.

Also it might matter if you are "engaged" or not. Yes:

RQG p.195:

While an adventurer might
throw a spell at an oncoming foe and then engage that
foe in combat within the same round, an adventurer
cannot, while engaged in combat, attack both physically
and magically.

So if you are not engaged, then you are not as limited. If you explicitly can throw a Disrupt, then be engaged in melee, and then hit, all in one round, then you can throw two Disrupts unengaged. If you are engaged, then you simply have less time to think about things other than being killed.

And even if you are engaged, I'd allow a non-offensive spell in addition to whatever other actions as long as the SRs fit (which is usually quite tight unless you are fast and have a good reach, i.e. low DEX and SIZ SR).

Edited by PhilHibbs

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Yes, but only one offensive spell per round. but cast as many non-offensive spells as you like, assuming you have struck ranks.

with a little addition (if i m not wrong, do not hesitate to confirm) you can cast only 1 rune spell per round *, as it takes effect always sr 1 (p314)

of course there are some exception with spells (like extension) or heroic abilities for example

• Helpful 1

On 11/4/2022 at 2:19 PM, Runeblogger said:

What do you mean with “heroic abilities”? In what book can I find them?

They are mentioned in Secrets of HeroQuesting.

However, any GM can give Adventurers heroic Abilities, as the result of HeroQuests, magical trials, eating special food, gaining Chaos Features or whatever.

An early edition of Wyrms Footnotes, or Different Worlds, gave Adventurers a non-Chaotic Chaos Feature if they were born during Sacred Time, for example.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

9 hours ago, Mordante said:

I've just started reading the rune magic question and another question.. can you cast a rune magic spell and then take another action such as attacking or magic?

Not magic - if you cast a rune magic spell, you cannot cast other magic in the same round - with some exceptions, namely stacking spells, that is, adding additional rune points to make the spell stronger, or casting spells that are explicitly allowed to be cast together, like illusion spells, the Extension spell, or the body transformations of Odayla with the spell Transform Self.

• Helpful 1

1 minute ago, Ludo Bagman said:

Not magic - if you cast a rune magic spell, you cannot cast other magic in the same round - with some exceptions, namely stacking spells, that is, adding additional rune points to make the spell stronger, or casting spells that are explicitly allowed to be cast together, like illusion spells, the Extension spell, or the body transformations of Odayla with the spell Transform Self.

Just for confirmation...

Casting a Rune magic spell prevents an adventurer from casting any other Rune magic, spirit magic, or sorcery spells that round. The sole exceptions are Extension, which is cast at the same time as the spell it is intended to extend, and Illusion spells. For more information see the description of these Rune spells.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

OK here's another situation which I'm not sure about!

When casting multiple spells during a round do you add the unprepared strike rank modifier to subsequent spells even if you are using the same spell so for example cast spell on SR3 and then would incur 5SR penalty plus dex  SR on the spell next spell?

I'm especially interested in how casting healing works for example could you cast healing 1 multiple times during a round and would it in incur the unprepared spell mod?

1 hour ago, Mordante said:

When casting multiple spells during a round do you add the unprepared strike rank modifier to subsequent spells even if you are using the same spell so for example cast spell on SR3 and then would incur 5SR penalty plus dex  SR on the spell next spell?

No, if it's declared at the start of the round that that's what you are doing, then I don't think you add anything. It's only if you are reacting within a round such as healing a wound that someone just took, or dispelling a spell cast on you.

I just want to add that you can easily just houserule that you can only cast one spell per round no exceptions and it will break nothing and it will mean that you do not have to bother with counting Strike Ranks. I do that in my campaign. It is one thing that I have done to speed up and simplify combat: I just use SR to see who will get the first hit in when two combatants meet and rarely bother with modifying it for movement etc. It makes it easier to keep combat flowing, I find.

• Helpful 1

On 11/4/2022 at 7:03 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

with a little addition (if i m not wrong, do not hesitate to confirm) you can cast only 1 rune spell per round *, as it takes effect always sr 1 (p314)

plus the number of MPs boosting the Rune Spell over one as SRs. (i.e.) Heal Wound for 5 points would take effect on SR 5.

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!