Is the Cult Compatibility Table a dead letter?

Squaredeal Sten

Is the RQ2 cult compatibility table a dead letter?

I note that thete is no equivalent in tbe RQG cults books published so far.  Associated cults are listed. and some dislikes are stated in general terms, but that is about it.  For examplr Issaries' relationship with Etyries is undefined.  Is this intentional YGMV material?

I do understand that with many more cults written up, the size of the matrix has grown exponentially.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
corrected mis spelling in topic

I don't think that it is a dead letter. As far as I know the values still stand. There was talk of having a huge spreadsheet with them, which would suit me fine.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

11 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Didn’t RQ3 kill it back in 1985 with the broader stroke pantheon vs. pantheon chart?

Although my inner nerd says to do the full thing electronically with bells and whistles and numbers up the wazoo, a calmer voice says:

• ditch all the numbers — just qualitative assessments
  • for each pantheon/religion have a short paragraph on its attitude to each of the other pantheons/religions
  • note dissonant cult–cult amities and enmities, but resist rote language that sniffs of numbers in drag
  • let people draw their own conclusions from myths, scenarios, and sourcebooks

In short, do everything to banish the “our cults are 0–0, we must fight now” nonsense.

I appreciate that I may be the only person who thinks this, and I won’t be offended if you dismiss this as the rambling of an addled cockney (which it almost certainly is — I can feel poster’s remorse setting in even before I’ve clicked submit).

• Like 2

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

36 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

I note that thete is no equivalent in tbe RQG cults books published so far.  Associated cults are listed. and some dislikes are stated in general terms, but that is about it.  For examplr Issaries' relationship with Etyries is undefined.  Is this intentional YGMV material?

I do understand that with many more cults written up, the size of the matrix has grown exponentially.

There's a cult compatibility table on page 311 of RQG, with pretty much the same values as in RQ2 as far as I can tell. I imagine that if we're getting a modern, full compatibility chart it won't be released until after Cults of Runequest finishes.

• Like 1

In addition to the table on page 311 of the core rules, Jeff regularly mentions the compatibility of various additional cults so we know an RQG version exists somewhere- we just don’t know where and when it will be published. While the mythology book makes sense, since that would reveal all the cults in the future volumes I’m not sure it will be in there. Perhaps in the mythical game master book instead?

Until then I supplement the core rule table with the big one at the back of the Gloranthan Classics Cult Compendium. 

37 minutes ago, Jens said:

In addition to the table on page 311 of the core rules, Jeff regularly mentions the compatibility of various additional cults so we know an RQG version exists somewhere- we just don’t know where and when it will be published. While the mythology book makes sense, since that would reveal all the cults in the future volumes I’m not sure it will be in there.

There’s also the question of how - there’s no obvious way to actually print it in the traditional way as a full chart, not with the number of cults involved.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

note dissonant cult–cult amities and enmities, but resist rote language that sniffs of numbers in drag

This one makes sense to me - the more and smaller cults we have, the more they’re going to just be Neutral because they don’t even know about each other. What does Hwarin Dalthippa think of Tsankth, or Pamalt of Waha? Probably ”who?”

Or for that matter, row upon row of how indeed everyone but the Lunars hate this Chaos cult as well.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Steve said:

I'm sure that Jeff said it'll be in the Mythology book.

It's not in the mythology book, and there is a giant spreadsheet, however I've no idea how that's being implemented.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

1 minute ago, Steve said:

Wow, that's strange (in that I clearly imagined that). I stand corrected. Thanks.

I may of course be wrong, I did just have a look, but I don't think I'd miss something that big 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

• Squaredeal Sten changed the title to Is the Cult Compatibility Table a dead letter?
On 9/14/2023 at 3:02 PM, Akhôrahil said:

There’s also the question of how - there’s no obvious way to actually print it in the traditional way as a full chart, not with the number of cults involved.

Emphatically this!

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 9/15/2023 at 10:14 AM, David Scott said:

It's not in the mythology book, and there is a giant spreadsheet, however I've no idea how that's being implemented.

I use Microsoft Excel and can handle giant spreadsheets.

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here