ORC products...

NickMiddleton

16 hours ago, J2DuhTeezy said:

I would like to see a prehistoric/primal setting for BRP. I am new to the hobby, so if that setting already exists, please excuse my ignorance.

There is a setting book for LEGEND RPG (Mongoose version of RQ6, which is also a BRP D100 game system): 

Legend: Land of Ice and Stone
http://tinyurl.com/4mk3xuux

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

There is a setting book for LEGEND RPG (Mongoose version of RQ6, which is also a BRP D100 game system): 

Most BRP grognards can run such content with their preferred BRP engine, adjusting on the fly as-needed.

For someone new to the family of games, I'd probably suggest using one of the game-engines from that branch of the family tree... MRQii / Legend (from Mongoose) or RQ6 / Mythras (from The Design Mechanism).

Paging @soltakss for further insights... 

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

Most BRP grognards can run such content with their preferred BRP engine, adjusting on the fly as-needed.

For someone new to the family of games, I'd probably suggest using one of the game-engines from that branch of the family tree... MRQii / Legend (from Mongoose) or RQ6 / Mythras (from The Design Mechanism).

@soltakss

The three most important differences between Legend/Mythras being :

• The lack of Resistance Table. Though it is not difficult to re-introduce it in the game, as characteristics are still there.
  • The scale of damage and hit points. A typical fighter with a broadsword and STR+SIZ above average deals 1d8+1+1d4 in BRP, and 1d8+1d2 in Mythras. It's a 2 point difference on average, which is a lot.
  • Mythras doesn't have Generic Hit Points, only localized ones.

On 12/29/2023 at 11:40 PM, J2DuhTeezy said:

I would like to see a prehistoric/primal setting for BRP. I am new to the hobby, so if that setting already exists, please excuse my ignorance.

My Land of Ice and Stone setting for Legend should be compatible enough for BRP.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 12/30/2023 at 4:16 PM, AndreJarosch said:

Thanks for the mention!

On 12/31/2023 at 6:41 AM, g33k said:

Paging @soltakss for further insights... 

Land of Ice and Stone is set pretty much in the Earth's Children/Clan of the Cave Bear period of the Upper Palaeolithic,  or Old Stone Age. I was intending to write a setting based around the Mesolithic, or Middle Stone Age, set in Doggerland, and the Neolithic, or New Stone Age, set somewhere in the Fertile Crescent, but time slipped away from me so it is unlikely that I'll do that.

Although for Legend, I generally write Alternate Earth stuff as though it is for a pseudo-BRP that is a bit like BRP, a bit like RQ and a bit like Legend, so it should be easily useable with BRP.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 1 month later...

@AndreJarosch

Another for your master-list... I think (not having actually held it in my hands & looked at the rules):

The Troubleshooters is a 1960's-ish pulpy action/adventure sort of game, specifically in the mode of the Franco-Belgian style "bande dessinée" aka "bede" or BD (specifically, such examples as as Tintin, and Spirou et Fantasio, and Yoko Tsuno, &c...)

From Helmgast & Modiphius.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

@AndreJarosch

Another for your master-list... I think (not having actually held it in my hands & looked at the rules):

The Troubleshooters is a 1960's-ish pulpy action/adventure sort of game, specifically in the mode of the Franco-Belgian style "bande dessinée" aka "bede" or BD (specifically, such examples as as Tintin, and Spirou et Fantasio, and Yoko Tsuno, &c...)

From Helmgast & Modiphius.

It uses %-dice for skill resolution, but it doesn´t belong to the D100-family that is based upon original BRP (likewise doesn´t Rolemaster MERP or Warhammer Fantasy... all D100 games, but not in the BRP-family of games). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

It uses %-dice for skill resolution, but it doesn´t belong to the D100-family that is based upon original BRP (likewise doesn´t Rolemaster MERP or Warhammer Fantasy... all D100 games, but not in the BRP-family of games). 

I haven't looked at it, personally.

It seems to be skill-centric (no classes) roll-low d100, which... looks to me like it's probably pretty intercompatible with BRP systems.  I'm not at all sure it has any singular, linear "ancestral" system from which it's descended (or that it does not).

Rolemaster/MERP/etc is an entirely-different (and much more complex) mechanic; I don't think it is related in any way to BRP (given the complexity, I presume RM was in the design-stages for a LONG time... too long for RQ/BRP to be foundational).

WHFRP is... I dunno, maybe mechanically-inspired by RQ/BRP?  But pretty different.

But The Troubleshooters, from what I can tell, would be entirely at-home at a BRP table (or being an organ-donor to the FrankenBRP crowd).

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, g33k said:

Rolemaster/MERP/etc is an entirely-different (and much more complex) mechanic; I don't think it is related in any way to BRP (given the complexity, I presume RM was in the design-stages for a LONG time... too long for RQ/BRP to be foundational).

WHFRP is... I dunno, maybe mechanically-inspired by RQ/BRP?  But pretty different.

RoleMaster was a bunch of rule modules for AD&D that ended up being a game of its own, and ironically the core for D&D's modernization when Monte Cook brought its design principles with him to D&D3e. It is a d100 + bonus vs DC mechanic, but there are charts for various DCs with different results. It has nothing to do mechanically with RQ/BRP.

WFRP had a mix of integer and percentile characteristics. The scale of percentile characteristics, how much they can improve, and how skills work is totally different from RQ/BRP.

Wielder of the Vorpal Mace.

6 hours ago, g33k said:

The idea behind WHFRP was basically to re-use the stats of the miniatures wargame in a RPG. As the GW team was also producing UK versions of Chaosium games, you can say they were fans if BRP.

6 hours ago, g33k said:

I haven't looked at it, personally.

It seems to be skill-centric (no classes) roll-low d100, which... looks to me like it's probably pretty intercompatible with BRP systems.  I'm not at all sure it has any singular, linear "ancestral" system from which it's descended (or that it does not)

But rolling a d100 under a skill is not the only defining characteristic of BRP. You couldn't mix it with Magic World or Mythras to create a Fantasy version of it, for instance.

Pendragon, despite using a d20, is much closer to BRP than Troubleshooters, as it uses a sub-set of the iconic BRP characteristics. So, does that mean every game that uses a d20 roll-under system is also close to BRP ?

14 hours ago, Mugen said:

... But rolling a d100 under a skill is not the only defining characteristic of BRP. You couldn't mix it with Magic World or Mythras to create a Fantasy version of it, for instance...

I haven't looked at The Troubleshooters in-person, so I'm unqualfied for extended debate.

My impression from reviews (and looking at the character-sheet) has been that it looks & acts a lot like a BRP-family game, with some Fate-ish bits added on (rather as Fate itself was Fudge (with Fate bits added on)).

But it's entirely possible my impression was mistaken.

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 hours ago, Questbird said:

Yes please!

n.b. the Coyote & Crow RPG does an alt-history North America where Colombus & the Euro-colonists never happened.  They explicitly did not cover Mesoamerica, but are now actively looking to write an expansion book set there.

I might hope to repurpose that material onto the BRP chassis.

I expect the "conquistadores era" would be extremely problematic to write, however.  I'd be leery about such efforts.

Edited by g33k
forgot BRPization

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 2/6/2024 at 11:25 AM, AndreJarosch said:

Hmm, i must disagree with your assessment that troubleshooters are not from the Basic roleplaying family .

The troubleshooters is based on a BRP based/developed Role playing game called Järn, it is clearly an BRP version, or Hack. (i know this because i Bought Järn and read what the author wrote when he was developing it.) The author Krister Sundelin worked on äventyrspel back in the day..

furthermore Järn, Troubleshooters and hjältarnas tid have only skills, no stats like in Pendragon, i suspect he was inspired of Pendragon. these games only have the stats like Hit points, endurance. and skills.

They do however make some fun things with skill penalties and bonuses.

4 hours ago, g33k said:

n.b. the Coyote & Crow RPG does an alt-history North America where Colombus & the Euro-colonists never happened.  They explicitly did not cover Mesoamerica, but are now actively looking to write an expansion book set there.

I might hope to repurpose that material onto the BRP chassis.

I expect the "conquistadores era" would be extremely problematic to write, however.  I'd be leery about such efforts.

Probably right about the Conquistadores era. My particular interest is the Inca Empire and that area of South America, more than Mesoamerica. Maybe an alt history where Waska beat Atahualpa in their civil war and Pizarro got defeated at Cajamarca? Then rather than erasing the Europeans, they could be the unknown enemy to watch out for.

On 2/8/2024 at 8:11 PM, muminalver said:

furthermore Järn, Troubleshooters and hjältarnas tid have only skills, no stats like in Pendragon, i suspect he was inspired of Pendragon. these games only have the stats like Hit points, endurance. and skills.

What do you mean "only skills, no stats like Pendragon" ? Pendragon has no INT or POW, but it has STR, SIZ, CON, etc. and they are very important.

Also, even if a system has roots in another system doesn't mean they're the same. 

For instance, I could point many similarities between HeroWars/QuestWorlds and BRP or Pendragon, and I think HW was clearly an evolution of KAP. But they're not the same.

Okej,  then i misremembered how pendragon works. ( long time since I played it)

Järn, does not have any stats other than health, fatigue, soul and these work like health= physical damage takes time to cure, fatigue is more like temporary hits, how tired you are becoming  and soul are like mental stability hits.

All stats beca.e skills,  so you would have an % instead of an 3 to 18 stats.

The magic system that järn uses are shamanistic. You have to convince a spirit to help you, the sister system hjältarnas tid- changed the soulstat to a pow stat, had a more traditional fantasy game, easier than ĵärn.