ORC products...

NickMiddleton

... which is not a euphemism.

BRP-UGE is out in both PDF and Print. What do people want to see published for it, whether as fan works or more commercial propositions? Leaving aside for now the question of a BRP CCP, what are people keen to see?

Scenarios? Campaigns? Settings? Supplements (e.g. a Fantasy Bestiary; an extended starship construction and combat system; extensions of existing powers systems, entirely new powers systems).

What is your question exactly ?

Do you ask what we want published under ORC, or do you ask what we think people in general expect from ORC games ?

As for myself, I don't have much expectations from this licence. I'd like to see systems that are not D&D-like to gain more audience, but ORC is also going to be PathFinder's and Kobbold Press' D&D clone licence, so...

As for what other people may want in ORC is the possibility to play in different universes with a familiar system. That was part of BRP success in the 80s, at least in France. But it was also part of its problem, as people thought it could not offer more than the very simple and mortal rules from CoC.

BRP-UGE is out in both PDF and Print. What do people want to see published for it…?”

What do people want for BRP-UGE?

GURPS is perhaps the biggest generic RPG with the least published scenario support from its publisher - the overwhelming majority of GURPS supplements are setting or other support material…

The “big” RPGs of the 80’s (anecdotally AD&D, Traveller, Call of Cthulhu, MERP, FASA Star Trek and WEG Star Wars#) in contrast had/ have pretty substantial libraries of scenarios, alongside other support material… …and that was 40 years ago, pre web and PDFs. Besides, bar AD&D (which had a few settings), most of those were tied to a single, in three cases massively popular and in two cases active in other media to some degree specific / licensed IPs…

So do people want a BRP-UGE powered setting adaptation of Silo or The Rig (picked at random); a BRP-UGE range of scenarios like BECMI D&D’s B series, AD&D’s GDQ series or Call of Cthulhu’s “Lovecraft Country” series of related scenario anthologies; or BRP-UGE Ultra-Tech, BRP-UGE Empire of Charlemagne and similar sourcebooks?

What do people want, what do we think will grow the user base of the game?

# seriously, I have no robust stats to back that speculation up, just a vague recollection of some polls in White Dwarf…

• Like 2

Since i already have ALL of Chaosiums RPGs that are based upon BRP, plus Mythras, plus OpenQuest, plus M-Space, plus SimpleQuest, plus Jackals, plus Revolution D100, plus Other Suns, plus... you get it. 

I would like to see a setting, and scenarios (and/or a campaign) for it. 
But not any setting, but a setting that is tailored for BRP. A setting that works especially well with BRP and that other RPGS would have problems to make it easy to play in with their game systems. 

I have no clue what kind of setting that might be, but that would be what i want from a new BRP supplement. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

Since i already have ALL of Chaosiums RPGs that are based upon BRP, plus Mythras, plus OpenQuest, plus M-Space, plus SimpleQuest, plus Jackals, plus Revolution D100, plus Other Suns, plus... you get it. 

I would like to see a setting, and scenarios (and/or a campaign) for it. 
But not any setting, but a setting that is tailored for BRP. A setting that works especially well with BRP and that other RPGS would have problems to make it easy to play in with their game systems. 

I have no clue what kind of setting that might be, but that would be what i want from a new BRP supplement. 

Is it possible ...

That you're describing 

Spoiler

Runequest

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

... which is not a euphemism.

BRP-UGE is out in both PDF and Print. What do people want to see published for it, whether as fan works or more commercial propositions? Leaving aside for now the question of a BRP CCP, what are people keen to see?

Scenarios? Campaigns? Settings? Supplements (e.g. a Fantasy Bestiary; an extended starship construction and combat system; extensions of existing powers systems, entirely new powers systems).

???  what is "CCP" in this context?

I would like to see:

- A fully-ORC'ed revamp of the BRP Quickstart:  a stripped-down minimalistic rules that can form a common-core onto which many further products can add (rather than the huge toolkit of BRP:UGE (various majorities of which need to be removed in order to produce a working RPG)); complete with several genre'fied worked exemplar adventures.  A self-sufficient starter-game that lets newbies easily ramp into all the other BRP games.

- A BRP sci-fi game (yes, I know we've got d101's River of Heaven, and Frostbyte's M-Space, but I really want a base/core BRP instance, too).

- At least a few pick-up-and-play BRP one-shots, suitable to run when the campaign can't move forward because of RL-interference no-shows amongst the regular players.

- One or more 3rd-party players (with existing rep/cred within the gaming community) take up BRP's ORC offer, and bring interesting/exciting games to market.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

16 hours ago, g33k said:

- One or more 3rd-party players (with existing rep/cred within the gaming community) take up BRP's ORC offer, and bring interesting/exciting games to market.

Not at the stage where I want to go public yet*, but I've got a couple of things in the pipeline via D101 Games 😉

*might be very soon, soon or first half of 2024, depending on how quickly I clear my current workload. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

This is a very exciting thread. I have lot of trust in the BRP community. Personally, I would like to see creative and inspirational stuff. Anyone with the BWB can put together a game in a generic setting. And play memorable games but this type of publication aren't very inspiring. Instead try to capture that something wonderful that turns a game in something special. Think Call of Cthulhu, Runequest, Lords of the middle sea ... That something out of the box is the kind of publication I would like to see.

• Like 4

Personally, I'd love to buy genre books, like a generic sci-fi book, a full on fantasy book, etc. I mostly run generic systems because I like to make my own settings, so I don't need yet more setting books.

The other big thing is a mass combat system and a factions system. For example, I think it's a crime we don't have mass combat in RoG; the background of the game is the wars being fought during the time. Why shouldn't players be in them? The faction thing isn't necessary strictly speaking but I always appreciate such. It's one of the reasons I gravitate towards things like Burning Wheel; with it supplements, I can cover both those things. I REALLY like BRP; I'd want to do those things too.

On 10/30/2023 at 6:18 AM, PoppySeed45 said:

Personally, I'd love to buy genre books, like a generic sci-fi book, a full on fantasy book, etc. I mostly run generic systems because I like to make my own settings, so I don't need yet more setting books.

What would such genre books look like, contents-wise?  Why not just use the BGB or BRP:UGE? 

With sufficiently-advanced Clarketech, most of "full-on-fantasy" is plausibly needed to fullfill all sub-genres of sci-fi; and fantasy-driven magitech needs most of sci-fi...

Thus, I expect either an "all sci-fi options" or an "all fantasy options" genre-book would still want to have most of the full BRP:UGE content.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

I think of the line of supporting books that Evil Hat has published in order to amplify and illustrate how FATE can be used in various genres (e.g., Horror Toolkit, System Toolkit, Adversary Toolkit, Space Toolkit, etc.).  Perhaps a book that will guide someone in using BRP:UGE in the creation of their own game or campaign, sort of a BRP:UGE GM Guide.

It not only BRP, but ALL D100 Systems, but may be helpful to see a) what is already out there, b) where do get inspirations from and c) where are "gaps" that may need to be filled with new BRP publications (including a lot of OOP products).

Historical Settings for D100-Systems

Ice Age =
40.000 BC: The Land of Ice and Stone (Mongoose, Legend)

Babylon =
1765 BC: Mythic Babylon (The Design Mechanism, Mythras)

Egypt

??? BC: The Tomb of Set (The Design Mechanism, Mythras)

Roman Republic =
753 BC – 27 BC : “Rome “ (Alephtar BRP - OOP) or “Mythic Rome” (TDM, Mythras)

Roman Empire =
27 BC – 284: Ultimate Legions Guide (Mystical Throne Entertainment; Legend - OOP)
ca. 80 : “Cthulhu Invictus” (Chaosium, Call of Cthulhu)

Arthurs Britain =
485 – 565 : "King Arthur Pendragon RPG" (Chaosium, Green Knight or Nocturnal)
OR
495+ : "Mythic Britain" (TDM, Mythras)

Charlemagne =
775 – 811 : "Paladin RPG" (Nocturnal, Pendragon game system)

Vikings =
780 – 1070 : “Vikings” (AH, RuneQuest 3

- OOP)
OR
793 – 1066 : “Vikings” (Mongoose, RuneQuest II

- OOP) or “Vikings of Legend” (Mongoose Legend)
OR
930 – 1050 : “Mythic Iceland” (Chaosium, BRP)

Dark Ages/Crusades =
950 – 1050 : “Cthulhu Dark Ages” (Chaosium, Call of Cthulhu

- OOP)
OR
1095 + : “Deus Vult” (Mongoose, RuneQuest II/Legend)
OR
1186 – 1272 : “Stupor Mundi” (Alephtar, Mongoose RuneQuest

- OOP)
OR
1206+ : “Crusaders of the Amber Coast” (Alephtar, BRP

- OOP)
OR
10th – 13th Century: „Val-du-loup“ (Chaosium, BRP

- OOP)

Robin Hoods England =
1137 – 1247 : “Merry England” (Alephtar, Mongoose RuneQuest or - 2nd Edition - Alephtar, BRP

- OOP) or “Robyn Hoode” (Alephtar, Revolution D100)

Constantinople =
1450+ : “Mythic Constantinople” (TDM, Mythras)

Musketiers
1625 - 1715 : Swordpoint - A Swashbuckling Roleplaying Zine (Gallant Knight Games)

30 year war in England =
1645+ : “Clockwork & Chivalry” (Cakebread & Walton, Renaissance)

Pirates =
1680 – 1720 : “Pirates” (Mongoose, RuneQuest

- OOP) or “Pirates of Legends” (Mongoose, Legend)
OR
1655 – 1730 : “Blood Tide” (Chaosium, BRP

- OOP)

Viktorian England =
1837 – 1901: “Agents of the Crown” (Chaosium; BRP

- OOP)

1950s-1990s Secret Agents
Secret Agency (Juancho Duma Dragunov)

Modern Day Miltary
The Company (D101 Games; OpenQuest

- OOP)

Modernd Day (late 1990s) Occult
Nephilim (Chaosium; Nephilim - OOP)

ASIA

Ancient China =
184 – 280: “Ulimate Three Kingdoms Guide” (Mystical Throne Entertainment; Legend

- OOP)
618+ : "The Celestial Empire" (Alephtar, BRP

- OOP)

Huns/Turks/Mongols =
500 BC – 1500 : “Winds on the Steppes” (Alephtar, BRP

- OOP)
1189 – 1277: Ulimate Mongol Empire Guide (Mystical Throne Entertainment; Legend

- OOP)

Japan =
794 - 1192 : “Land of the Samurai” (Mongoose, RuneQuest

- OOP) or “Samurai of Legend” (Mongoose, Legend)
OR
1160 - 1615 : “Land of Ninja” (AH, RuneQuest 3

- OOP)

Polynesia =
1500? : “Mythic Polynesia” (TDM, Mythras)

Others

Lovecraftian Investigators =
950 – 1050 : “Cthulhu Dark Ages” (Chaosium, Call of Cthulhu)
1645 : “Clockwork & Cthulhu” (Cakebread & Walton, Clockwork & Chivalry)
1650 - 1730 "Corsairs of Cthulhu" (New Comet Games)
1749 : “Dark Streets” (Cakebread & Walton, Renaissance)
1789 : “Reign of Terror” (Chaosium, Call of Cthulhu)
1795-1810 : "Convicts & Cthulhu" (Cthulhu Reborn, Call of Cthulhu)
1810s : "Regency Cthulhu" (Chaosium, Call of Cthulhu)
1850 : “Five Points” (Mystical Throne Entertainment; Renaissance)
1880s : “Cthulhu by Gaslight” (Chaosium, Call of Cthulhu

- OOP) and “Down Darker Trails” (Chaosium, Call of Cthulhu)
1920s : “Call of Cthulhu” & hundrets of supplements (Chaosium, Call of Cthulhu)
1930s : “Pulp Cthulhu” (Chaosium, Call of Cthulhu)
1940s : “Achtung! Cthulhu” (Moedipus, Call of Cthulhu)
1950s : “Atomic-Age Cthulhu” (Chaosium, Call of Cthulhu

- OOP)
1980s – Now : “Cthulhu Now” (Chaosium, Call of Cthulhu) or “Delta Green” (Pagan Publishing, Call of Cthulhu) oder “The Laundry” (Cublicle 7, Call of Cthulhu

- OOP)
Future : "Apocthulhu (Cthulhu Reborn, Call of Cthulhu)

Investigators (non-lovecraftian) =
1880er: "Private Eye" (Redaktion Phantastik)

Old West =
"Down Darker Trails" (Chaosium; Call of Cthulhu)
OR
"Devil´s Gulch" (Chaosium, BRP

- OOP)
OR
“Aces High“ and „Aces High: New Mexico“ (Chaosium; BRP

- OOP)

In development:

~ 1250 BC: Mythic Greece (The Design Mechanism, Mythras)
950 AD : Vikings (Chaosium, BRP?) – New edition of “Mythic Island”
950 AD : Varangian Rus (Chaosium, BRP?)
950 AD : Arabian Nights (Chaosium, BRP?)
950 AD : Constantinople (Chaosium, BRP?)
1600s AD : Pirates (Chaosium, BRP?) – New edition of “Blood Tide”?
Now: Department M (Spionage) (The Design Mechanism, Mythras)

Settings all D100-Systems miss:

3500 – 60 BC : Ancient Egypt

600 – 900 oder 900 – 1697 : Aztheks/Maya/Inca
1519 – 1571 : Conquistadores in Mesoamerica
1559 - 1603: Elisabethan England
600 - 1200 : Ancient India

Settings for D100-Systems based on Books, Movies, Comics etc.

Michael Moorcocks Elric of Menibone D100 =
“Stormbringer” (1st - 4th Edition, Chaosium

- OOP)
OR

Elric! (Chaosium) oder Stormbringer 5th Edition (Chaosium

- OOP)
OR
Elric of Melnibone (Mongoose, RuneQuest or MRQ II

- OOP)

Michael Moorcocks Dorian Hawkmoon D100 =
“Hawkoon” (Chaosium

- OOP)
OR
“Hawkmoon” (Mongoose, RuneQuest

- OOP)

Michael Moorcocks Corum D100 =

“Corum” (Darksyde; Stormbringer 5th Edition - OOP)

Superheros D100=
“Superworld” (Chaosium

- OOP)
OR
“Destined” (The Design Mechanism, Mythras)

Larry Nivens Ringworld D100=
“Ringworld” (Chaosium

- OOP)

Wendy Pinis ElfQuest D100 =
“ElfQuest” (Chaosium

- OOP)

Fritz Leibers Lankhmar D100 =
“Lankhmar” (Mongoose, RuneQuest

- OOP) or „Lhankhmar Unleashed”(Mongoose, RuneQuest II - OOP)

Jack Vances Lyonesse D100 =
"Lyonesse" (The Design Mechanism, Mythras)

Pat Mills Slaine D100 =
"Slaine" (Mongoose, RuneQuest

- OOP)

Bryan Talbots Luther Arkwright D100 =
"Luther Arkwright" (TDM, Mythras)

Ben Aaronovitchs Riververse D100 =
"Rivers of London" (Chaosium)

Greg Staffords Glorantha D100 =
“RuneQuest” (2nd Edition, Chaosium)
OR
"RuneQuest - Roleplaying in Glorantha" (Chaosium)

Like Robert E. Howards Conan of Cimmeria D100 =
“The Savage North” (D101 Games, OpenQuest)

Like J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle Earth D100 =
“Age of Shadow” (Crooked Staff Publications, OpenQuest)

Like Gene Wolfes "Book of the New Sun" D100 =
"Chronicles of Future Earth" (Chaosium, BRP

- OOP)

Like Traveller D100 =
“M-Space” (frostbite, M-Space)

Star Wars D100 =
“RuneQuest 6 Star Wars” (TDM, RuneQuest6/Mythras 
- OOP)

Other SciFi D100 =
“Other Suns” (Fantasy Games Unlimited

- OOP)
OR
"Worlds Beyond" (Other Worlds Publications
)
OR
“River of Heaven” (D101 Games, OpenQuest)
OR
“M-Space” (frostbite, M-Space)

Like World of Darkness D100 =
“After the Vampire Wars” (TDM, Mythras)

Edited by AndreJarosch
  • Like 5
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 1

Magic World

Super World

Future World

... You might even create a slipcase for them, and sell them as a set... A name for this set is on the tip of my tongue! 😉   Note that these would be more than simple genre books, but they would also provide guidance for GMs as to how to integrate the options presented into their settings.

As many of the Alephtar books as possible... Celestial Empire or Wind on the Steppes (for example) with the "Chaosium Treatment" would be a beautiful books. 

SDLeary

31 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

Magic World

Super World

Future World

... You might even create a slipcase for them, and sell them as a set... A name for this set is on the tip of my tongue! 😉   Note that these would be more than simple genre books, but they would also provide guidance for GMs as to how to integrate the options presented into their settings.

That was "Worlds of Wonder", the original BRP box, as Jason Durall would say. 

But they are not SETTINGS, they are settingless genre packs, and therefore not on my list (same as RQ3 or Mythras). 

7 minutes ago, AndreJarosch said:

This list only features english language products. 

Also worth noting that many of those products are exceedingly rare, and largely unlikely to become more-available.

It might be worth adding some sort of notations to indicate availabilty / rarity.

C'es ne pas un .sig

11 minutes ago, g33k said:

Also worth noting that many of those products are exceedingly rare, and largely unlikely to become more-available.

It might be worth adding some sort of notations to indicate availabilty / rarity.

I added "OOP" to all products not currently available (as far as i know)... which is the majority of D100 settings.