1 hour ago, svensson said:

Please let me know when you're done re-proofing. I'd like to order the POD version, but there's no sense in ordering if it needs to be corrected.

I intend to 'finish' in the next week or two. There will always be typos, especially in a book of this size, but it is nearing the '95% complete' stage where the last 5% is almost impossible to finish, as you enter the realms of diminishing returns for effort expended. Then the generation of a POD can commence! Laughs manically and runs off into the distance gibbering and meeping.  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

...  Laughs manically and runs off into the distance gibbering and meeping.  

NOT SO FAST, ME BOY-O!

You've got that poster version of that 2-page Mirrorsea spread, yet to produce...

The shackles stay on, and fastened to your desk.

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 minutes ago, g33k said:

NOT SO FAST, ME BOY-O!

You've got that poster version of that 2-page Mirrorsea spread, yet to produce...

That's reliant upon sales. I have a number in mind, and when that is reached, I will generate the poster.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

... I have a number in mind ...

Drop us a hint, then?

Are we dozens away?  Hundreds?  A few score?

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

That's reliant upon sales. I have a number in mind, and when that is reached, I will generate the poster.

Good way to do it!

Thanks for the thoughts + suggestions on the Wolf Pirates. Much appreciated! Will continue to chew on them as we make the crew community.

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

Posted (edited)

Purely for my own amusement, I've created this map based on maps shared on the Well of Daliath by Jeff. The island names may no longer be current canon, as some of the maps looked to be fairly old, but this may be useful for anyone travelling across Choralinthor Bay.

The map is from the Argan Argar Atlas, with additions.

Islands of Choralinthor.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2024 at 10:58 PM, jajagappa said:

So the call to go on the Circumnavigation, support Harrek, and gain new sources of loot, treasure, and magic now has great appeal. 

Absolutely. I'd buy and run that in a heartbeat.

9 hours ago, Myrkvil said:

Is there a rough estimate for POD prices?

I haven't decided yet - the PDF is very cheap, I'm told, for its page count and content. It will never recoup the cost of the art, which was a known risk, as the book is niche and things outside the core area of Dragon Pass amd Prax mostly don't sell very well.

It's a big book, so the base printing cost isn't cheap.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

......It will never recoup the cost of the art, which was a known risk, as .....

It's a big book, so the base printing cost isn't cheap.

"Never" seems to me to be an unreasonably long payback time.  What do you need to charge to break even if it sells 250 POD copies plus  500 PDF?  Don't tell me, just think about it.  🙂 🤥

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Playing with emojis

7 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

"Never" seems to me to be an unreasonably long payback time.  What do you need to charge to break even if it sells 250 POD copies plus  500 PDF?  Don't tell me, just think about it.  🙂 🤥

Increasing the cost would reduce sales. 

39 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Increasing the cost would reduce sales. 

That is the dilemma everyone has that want´s to sell something: 
Higher price = higher margin, but most likely lesser number of sales 
Moderate price = lower margin, but most likely higher number of sales 

Do you see your product as a de luxe item, on the higher end of the price range, which is intended to be for the "rich and powerful" (Rolls Roys)? 
Or do you see your product as an item that everyone that is interested in having one should be able to afford (Ford Model T)?

It´s your choice to make (but IMHO the best way is to be somewhere in the middle). 

1 hour ago, AndreJarosch said:

Do you see your product as a de luxe item, on the hig her end of the price range, which is intended to be for the "rich and powerful" (Rolls Roys)? 
Or do you see your product as an item that everyone that is interested in having one should be able to afford (Ford Model T)?

It´s your choice to make (but IMHO the best way is to be somewhere in the middle). 

Until I see the test prints I can't really assess the look and feel of the book.

It will probably be available as standard and premium. I don't have any control over the base price, and would like to at least maintain the existing margin. The PDF is very cheap considering the page count and art.

The book hasn't sold well, but that's perhaps because it is niche and outside the core area of Dragon Pass and Prax, though if you intend playing in Esrolia, especially Nochet, or in Heortland, it would be very valuable. It also has excellent art by Katrin and Mark.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

The book hasn't sold well

The book is an Electrum best seller, which is doing very well. There are only just over 20 books that have reached Gold status. I think you have to judge by that, not based on Armies & Enemies, which was one of the first books available and has now been out for like 5 years.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

... The book hasn't sold well ...

As Jaja says, it's selling quite well as JC titles go, and you can hardly consider AaEoDP a fair comparison with its' several years more cumulative sales... also, recall that you spent quite a long time prior to the JC release talking about the project and showing art, and generally creating quite a substantive appetite for the book, when it finally came out!

Yes, there were also "teasers" & samples for SaSoSG... but not for the sustained duration that A&E had.

Wait a couple more years before you write it off as a disappointment!

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 5/17/2024 at 1:53 AM, jajagappa said:

The book is an Electrum best seller, which is doing very well. There are only just over 20 books that have reached Gold status. I think you have to judge by that, not based on Armies & Enemies, which was one of the first books available and has now been out for like 5 years.

Yes, the market is now saturated with Jonstown and Chaosium products, which is a good thing for the hobby. When Armies came out there was very little available for people to buy. Armies achieved Gold fairly quickly, and has stood the test of time fairly well - there are only one or two things that are now contradicted by canon.

On 5/17/2024 at 3:41 AM, g33k said:

As Jaja says, it's selling quite well as JC titles go, and you can hardly consider AaEoDP a fair comparison with its' several years more cumulative sales... also, recall that you spent quite a long time prior to the JC release talking about the project and showing art, and generally creating quite a substantive appetite for the book, when it finally came out!

Armies was the result of four or so years of work - Ships maybe three. I am now deliberating turning my current project into a 'part work' or one I gradually expand, with the first issue in six months or so.... As it expands the price will increase....

In many respects Jonstown creators work in something of a vacuum, and the only way to gauge impact is sales and reviews.

• Like 2