1 hour ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Seems to me that Nochet plus Ships and Shores make a natural combination for a great RQ campaign - I purchased both for that exact reason.  Any way they can be marketed or bundled together on DTRPG with some minor savings or extra goodies?

I'm not sure how that could work? The books definitely complement each other, but I don't see how DriveThru could handle a multi-author bundle.

We can certainly market them together.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2024 at 10:18 AM, M Helsdon said:

It would be enormously useful to me for you to share your review on the FaceBook Runequest group, or, if you are not a member, allow me to do so. I know Mark has several commissions ahead of mine in his work queue, so I won't be posting there about Ships & Shores for a week or three.

Please feel free.

Edited by Nick Brooke

9 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

I'm not sure how that could work? The books definitely complement each other, but I don't see how DriveThru could handle a multi-author bundle.

DriveThru does a lot of multi-author bundles.   There are quite a few for Miskatonic Repository books.  I have no idea how one goes about it, but I do know it's possible.

5 hours ago, Diadochoi said:

Will any of the art be made available through Redbubble (or equivalent), in particular the everyday life scenes?

Katrin has sold prints of some of her illustrations at conventions, but they don't appear to be on her sales site or Redbubble at present.

Edited by M Helsdon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
A Panorama of the Mirrorsea

An Air God’s view…

Choralinthor Bay is the birthplace of all modern ship- building in southern Genertela and the location of many hazards also found along the coast.
The shallow waters and gentle winds here are accounted to be placid, lending him the epithet of the Mirrorsea, but his topography and the shifting tides can make him a challenging place to sail when they turn.

The last piece of art has been added to Ships & Shores - a fabulous panorama of the Holy Country centered on the Mirrorsea by Mark Smylie. Version 15 has just been uploaded.

I will create a poster of this picture when sales reach a certain level. Work on the POD may commence in a month or so.

A Vision of Myth is also available - just one off gaining Copper.....

Screenshot 2024-03-18 181715.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

12 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Didn't like the white space, so have reformatted the page, which will be included in the next update.

Although I can't tell for sure, it looks like there's a slight cutoff of text at the bottom of your text box. Assuming it is just that line, I'd suggest adjusting your "Choralinthor Bay..." paragraph to not indent so that you don't get the one word carryover at the end of the paragraph, and that would adjust your text up by one line. Alternately, remove the space/line before "Key". If there's any entries after Stormwalk Mountain that have been cut off, you might need to do both (or reduce the font size slightly of the index entries as another option). 

I do like the reformatted version with the single text box.

Edited by jajagappa
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Although I can't tell for sure, it looks like there's a slight cutoff of text at the bottom of your text box.

It looks okay in the 'full-sized' version. I create these screenshots from an image at 50%. Word seems to adjust the content for some reason when you change the page display size.

8 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I do like the reformatted version with the single text box.

Thank you. I liked the earlier version but on reflection it was messy.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 091750.png

Edited by M Helsdon

2 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

It looks okay in the 'full-sized' version. I create these screenshots from an image at 50%. Word seems to adjust the content for some reason when you change the page display size.

Yes, that can make the difference. What you show above looks good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2024 at 5:23 AM, M Helsdon said:

Preparation for the POD continues.

Very exciting to hear. 😄 This looks like a really excellent book, and I'm looking forward to exploring it.

I'm putting together a RuneQuest campaign playing the Wolf Pirates during the circumnavigation of the Homeward Ocean. Do you have any general advice/pointers for playing the Wolf Pirates pre-Dragonrise? I've wandered through the Guide, the Glorantha Sourcebook, and the Ygg cult in the Lightbringers book, so I do own a fair bit of the published information. I admire the attention to detail in your work, which is why I wanted to ask if you had any quick tips.

Please don't feel I'm asking you to share large chunks of what's in your book about the Wolf Pirates or anything like that—I can't really afford new gaming stuff right now but once I can Ships & Shores is pretty much at the top of my wishlist. Your writing & research is awesome and I don't want to devalue your work.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

1 hour ago, Crel said:

I'm putting together a RuneQuest campaign playing the Wolf Pirates during the circumnavigation of the Homeward Ocean. Do you have any general advice/pointers for playing the Wolf Pirates pre-Dragonrise?

Assuming you're talking not only pre-Dragonrise, but pre-Circumnavigation, my thought is that on the whole they are still largely a loose confederation of ship captains with their crews still heavily drawn from the core Yggs Islanders (and perhaps supplemented by pirates from Alatan) who have decided to follow Harrek. Harrek led them to a great victory over the Holy Country fleet in 1616 and this has allowed the ship captains fairly free rein in attacking ports along the southern Genertela coast and now including the Mirrorsea. They take what loot they can, but that increasingly dwindles as they've already attacked most of the ports they can (without needing to call upon Harrek). 

So the call to go on the Circumnavigation, support Harrek, and gain new sources of loot, treasure, and magic now has great appeal. 

(By the time they return, they've been forged into a more cohesive force that can raid deeper inland - fighting at Pennel Ford, helping liberate Heortland, and some even preparing to join Broyan or later Argrath.)

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I have some notes on how Wolf Pirate crews and adventurer parties might interact in Act III of Black Spear. You might find them useful; they were solidly founded on Martin’s excellent account from Armies & Enemies.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Crel said:

I'm putting together a RuneQuest campaign playing the Wolf Pirates during the circumnavigation of the Homeward Ocean. Do you have any general advice/pointers for playing the Wolf Pirates pre-Dragonrise? I've wandered through the Guide, the Glorantha Sourcebook, and the Ygg cult in the Lightbringers book, so I do own a fair bit of the published information. I admire the attention to detail in your work, which is why I wanted to ask if you had any quick tips.

Please don't feel I'm asking you to share large chunks of what's in your book about the Wolf Pirates or anything like that—I can't really afford new gaming stuff right now but once I can Ships & Shores is pretty much at the top of my wishlist. Your writing & research is awesome and I don't want to devalue your work.

Harald and Nick have provided valuable information.

In the 1621 Harrek meets Argrath at sea, and most of his fleet will consist of Wolf Pirate penteconter uniremes and biremes, supplemented by merchant round ships and tubs to carry supplies and plunder. I imagine that at that time he will command about forty or fifty ships, and about two and a half thousand men and women. There will be a hierarchy of captains, some commanding only their own ship, others a squadron of three or more..... Of course not all the pirates will perform the circumnavigation - some will still be based on the Three Step Islands, both to defend and supply it by raiding and exacting tribute along the coast. At this time, Harrek's crews are likely to be mostly Yggites and Orlanthi from the Manirian coast. Dormal will be worshipped as well. 

The ships will probably sail in groups. A penteconter can only carry enough food and water for two or three days - most stowage is under the rower's benches, so coordinating with the cargo ships is essential - and the captains of those ships are mostly likely to have previously sailed the southern seas and be familiar with the currents, weather, location of islands and harbours. Most of the pirates will want to have at least one sailor aboard familiar with the southern waters.

My books don't detail the south - it would have made the book too large - but if you do buy Ships & Shores, the details on logistics and navigation will be useful. Harrek will be sailing out of sight of land, something most of his pirates have rarely done, save in the Neliomi where conditions are very different. Navigating using the stars will be important, as the fleet may be scattered by winds and waves, and have to have plans to find each other. Plenty of scope to encounter weather, monsters, and even unmapped islands, and the uncertainties of sailing the open sea - lack of water, and even threats of mutiny. 

Your best Chaosium source for the appearance of Wolf Ships is in RuneQuest: Glorantha, page 402.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 080615.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 3

@M Helsdon

I just want to THANK YOU for your efforts in 'Ships and Shores'.

I'm running a 'faux Atlantis' campaign for my nieces and the work you've put into ancient ships, the effect of magic, and the practicalities of shipboard life in the Bronze Age has been a great help as well as a wonderful read.

I bought the book as a pdf upon release and it is one of my absolute favorite RQ products by anybody, ever. It ranks just below Trollpak [both versions equally] for the way that it shows seagoing culture and the homogenizing process that life at sea has on those who leave the shore.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, svensson said:

@M Helsdon

I just want to THANK YOU for your efforts in 'Ships and Shores'.

You are welcome.

3 minutes ago, svensson said:

I'm running a 'faux Atlantis' campaign for my nieces and the work you've put into ancient ships, the effect of magic, and the practicalities of shipboard life in the Bronze Age has been a great help as well as a wonderful read.

I bought the book as a pdf upon release and it is one of my absolute favorite RQ products by anybody, ever. It ranks just below Trollpak [both versions equally] for the way that it shows seagoing culture and the homogenizing process that life at sea has on those who leave the shore.

I'm pleased that it is useful.

I'm now implementing corrections to the typos identified by my valiant proofreaders.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

You are welcome.

I'm pleased that it is useful.

I'm now implementing corrections to the typos identified by my valiant proofreaders.

Please let me know when you're done re-proofing. I'd like to order the POD version, but there's no sense in ordering if it needs to be corrected.

59 minutes ago, svensson said:

Please let me know when you're done re-proofing. I'd like to order the POD version, but there's no sense in ordering if it needs to be corrected.

There isn't a POD version yet. Once Martin and his helpers have finished this final round of proof-reading, we'll start print preparation.

• Like 5