Jump to content

Adamantium & Chaos


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Does true stone or adamantium dissolve chaos? Would it not be like the void for chaos?

Would it dissolve gorp?

Has anyone used adamantium arrows or sling bullets in their campaigns? Would they act like salt on snails or something like that if they enter a gorp?

Would adamantium or true stone not stop a walktapus from regenerating?

Edited by Erol of Backford
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd think that it would not, as Chaos destroyed the Spike? Yet The Block made a mess of Wakboth so maybe it's a draw.

I had an adamant arrow in a game, which ignored any magic when shot, but had to be retrieved once fired or "bad things would happen". It became the sorceror-slayer for an assassin PC.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Would it dissolve gorp?

  • WORLD (cosmos) || INTEGUMENT/MEMBRANE || GORP INTERIOR (chaos)

If you “dissolved” the interior of a gorp, could you tell the difference? If you dissolved its membrane, would you get a spreading puddle of corrosive chaos? Ugh!

The integument of a gorp is what separates the nice, cosy, ordered world from the roiling, acidic nastiness within—or without, depending on your cosmic perspective. Is it a part of the gorp/chaos or is it the world’s final line of defence against that chaos? (This is a callback to the idea of Wakboth as a scab over the void—in RQ3 Dorastor or Lords of Terror IIRC.)

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Snugz said:

I'd think that it would not, as Chaos destroyed the Spike? Yet The Block made a mess of Wakboth so maybe it's a draw.

 

Wakboth is moral chaos and thus vulnerable to being squished.

Kajabor would eat the Block.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gbaji apparently used adamantine claws to mutilate Korasting's womb. If so, then adamantium is not necessarily antithetical to Chaos.

  • Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Joerg said:

Gbaji apparently used adamantine claws to mutilate Korasting's womb. If so, then adamantium is not necessarily antithetical to Chaos.

Yes but Gbaji cheated, he doesn't detect as law or chaos. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking to list the adamantium items that are known. (Please post if you know of more even if non canon.)

Unbreakable Sword - broken

Spike - Griffin Mountain

Rod - mentioned in Digest 2007 post below

Column - Rainbow Mounds

Rockmolder's Axe - not canon but who hasn't enjoyed that in some campaign somewhere?

Dwarvish Gatling Gun - https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/GloranthaDigest/vol05/5687.html

Question, could smaller pieces of Truestone not be used as arrowheads? Has anyone done this in their games? Sling bullets I think I recall but not where...

From the Digest in the 90's: possibly weaker chaos beasts would die simply by touching an adamantium item. I like that maybe they need to roll their Con on a die 20 or less or be paralyzed or something... that would be interesting. I agree that Truestone is refined law and should have some antichaos powers...

Also from the Digest - Bill Thompson - 1997

Adamantium then is Truestone that has been taken by the Mostali and tempered. In effect they have taken and strengthened the order within it. The conclusion here is that Law is not the antithesis of Chaos, Order is. Eurmal was not a chaotic God so much as he was a dis-ordered God. Magic is a weakening of the ties of order which allow Chaos to act in the world (a microcosm of the God world) and from the Chaos comes the true power of magic creation. Adamantium as a refined source of order reinforces the order of the world around it and hence becomes the bane of magic. Acting to tie together that which magic loosens.

Digest 2000 - Now, the Mostali take this truestone which already has pretty heavy >cultural significance and they place there strongest magics upon it, reforging it and making it purer. The end result is Adamantium which is focused Stasis. Another note different source: Maybe pure Law is solidified Stasis.

Digest 2007 - Way back when we were playing up in Balazar, our bunch had some crazy ideas about taking that adamantium rod, and someone running a suicide mission right down the Bat's throat with it. We figured that the Bat would destroy the guy's soul, but the anti-magic effect of the adamantium would give it Hell's own stomach ache, and it would probably go berserk, at the very least. Go back to it's own plane, and need to be resummoned by Moonson, at the best.

Is this the first Law Staff? Does anyone know anything about Old Rod in Brolia? It appears on the maps in FS & Entekosiad but isn't mentioned in the body of either text.
I've some ideas as to what it might be but it would be nice to know if there is some secret "official" lore about it of which I wasn't aware.

Digest 2000 - Extended contact with Truestone will destroy any Chaos creature so some manner of attack or containment might be worked out with an incredibly
generous GM... don't count on this.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Looking to list the adamantium items that are known. (Please post if you know of more even if non canon.)

Unbreakable Sword - broken

Spike - Griffin Mountain

Rod - mentioned in Digest 2007 post below

Column - Rainbow Mounds

Rockmolder's Axe - not canon but who hasn't enjoyed that in some campaign somewhere?

Dwarvish Gatling Gun - https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/GloranthaDigest/vol05/5687.html

Question, could smaller pieces of Truestone not be used as arrowheads? Has anyone done this in their games? Sling bullets I think I recall but not where...

From the Digest in the 90's: possibly weaker chaos beasts would die simply by touching an adamantium item. I like that maybe they need to roll their Con on a die 20 or less or be paralyzed or something... that would be interesting. I agree that Truestone is refined law and should have some antichaos powers...

Also from the Digest - Bill Thompson - 1997

Adamantium then is Truestone that has been taken by the Mostali and tempered. In effect they have taken and strengthened the order within it. The conclusion here is that Law is not the antithesis of Chaos, Order is. Eurmal was not a chaotic God so much as he was a dis-ordered God. Magic is a weakening of the ties of order which allow Chaos to act in the world (a microcosm of the God world) and from the Chaos comes the true power of magic creation. Adamantium as a refined source of order reinforces the order of the world around it and hence becomes the bane of magic. Acting to tie together that which magic loosens.

Digest 2000 - Now, the Mostali take this truestone which already has pretty heavy >cultural significance and they place there strongest magics upon it, reforging it and making it purer. The end result is Adamantium which is focused Stasis. Another note different source: Maybe pure Law is solidified Stasis.

Digest 2007 - Way back when we were playing up in Balazar, our bunch had some crazy ideas about taking that adamantium rod, and someone running a suicide mission right down the Bat's throat with it. We figured that the Bat would destroy the guy's soul, but the anti-magic effect of the adamantium would give it Hell's own stomach ache, and it would probably go berserk, at the very least. Go back to it's own plane, and need to be resummoned by Moonson, at the best.

Is this the first Law Staff? Does anyone know anything about Old Rod in Brolia? It appears on the maps in FS & Entekosiad but isn't mentioned in the body of either text.
I've some ideas as to what it might be but it would be nice to know if there is some secret "official" lore about it of which I wasn't aware.

Digest 2000 - Extended contact with Truestone will destroy any Chaos creature so some manner of attack or containment might be worked out with an incredibly
generous GM... don't count on this.

 

I think the defining characteristic of adamantium would be incredible rarity?  Otherwise everyone would have some, next to their gallon jug of Styx water. Like PCs never get their hands on it?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2024 at 3:34 PM, Snugz said:

I'd think that it would not, as Chaos destroyed the Spike? Yet The Block made a mess of Wakboth so maybe it's a draw.

The thing is, we don't know how Chaos destroyed the spike.  It obviously exploded.  That's all we know.  I suspect the Mostali, realizing that Chaos was storming the structure, and all was lost, made their adamantine boilers in the basement of the Spike all go over pressure and explode.  The Spike was, after all, the linchpin of the World Machine, so Mostali presence is one of the few other certainties we have.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

If you like that general idea, maybe Law is crystalline and Stasis is (or can be) amorphous. Pointy, regular :20-rune-law:. Blunt, aperiodic :20-power-stasis:.

Crystalline_vs._Amorphous_solid.png.bf4cb5107b31d065b68c7dadace9c700.png

I like the relation but see Law as more of a fractal which I assume dwarves would love the strong repetition and patterns but maybe only those that are apostate?

Fractal Geometry in Design: A Complete Guide

9 hours ago, Darius West said:

adamantine boilers

I suppose they could be used as high pressured steam projectile weapon and so if mounted on a wagon could be weaponized?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jajagappa said:

They are the inherent but unseen flaws in the Spike.

I had a glass wok lid which one day just shattered into a thousand pieces. (Not while in use, thankfully.) I guess the handle was screwed on too tightly.

I imagine the Spike going like that.

Then you have a bunch of Chaos gods peering through the hole and waving embarrassedly. “That hole wasn’t there a minute ago. Uh, hi, guys. What are you doing? We were playing catch, but Krarsht and Kajabor swallowed all the balls.”

  • Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...