Games that use BRP rules that are not from Chaosium

Joseph Paul

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, thanks! I thought that there were a lot more... it certainly seemed that way, but still, that is rather a lot.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)

I had no idea there was any similarity there... hmmm... I was mighty tempted by that game, back in the day

It has recognisable percentile skills, CUF (or coolness under fire) which is quite like sanity, and a point allocation system for generation.

If you managed to track down 'Twilight Nightmares' (like I did) which had adventures with monsters, ufo's, and zombies it was essentially 'Cthulhu At War'.

Another d100 game system is TSR's generic system called Amazing Engines. This came out in the early 1990s and had several worldbook/campaign settings published in the line. I rather like the system, but could not convince my D&D fanboy gaming circle to try it out even though it was published by TSR, lol.

BRP Ze 32/420

In Spain percentile-based games were quite popular years ago and several games were locally published, though only one of them remains in print nowadays:

- Aquelarre. The first professionally-published Spanish rpg, back in 1990, by Joc Internacional. Created by Ricard Ibañez, who would later design the Capitán Alatriste rpg, it was (and is, as a third edition is planned) a very gritty game set in the Spanish middle ages (13-14th centuries), during the Reconquista period. Quite deadly combat system. Magic and spells were taken from real grimoires of the time and Spanish, Arab and Jew folklore provide all supernatural creatures and monsters in the book.

Second edition was known for featuring terrible cartoony art which did not fit at all with the setting, but it is very complete and had all the background material (including several essays on medieval theology!) and info that you might need for years of playing with only the main rulebook (and maybe a good history book). It also included the background and rules changes necessary for playing in 17th century Spain as an alternate setting, previously published as a separate suppliment.

- Far West. A Western-themed rpg published by M+D Editores in 1994. Simple but fun. It used just three attributes (STR, DEX & CON) and percentile skills. Enough background information for having a good time gun-slinging and bank robbin' in the American Frontier.

- Superheroes, Inc. Out of print superhero game which also used percentile skills, published in 1994 by Ediciones Cronópolis. The rules were a greatly expanded and pulished version of those used in their generic rpg, Universo (see below).

- Universo (1993). Simple generic rpg, also published by Ediciones Cronópolis. Quite weak as far as rules go, and both the layout and the illustrations of the core manual were simply ugly.

Happy owner of number 226 of 420

Another d100 game system is TSR's generic system called Amazing Engines. This came out in the early 1990s and had several worldbook/campaign settings published in the line. I rather like the system, but could not convince my D&D fanboy gaming circle to try it out even though it was published by TSR, lol.

While percentile based, AE wasn't really very BRP-like; as I recall, it had experience points and only three skill levels (I could be confusing the latter with the second version of CHILL, which was also percentile based).

While percentile based, AE wasn't really very BRP-like; as I recall, it had experience points and only three skill levels (I could be confusing the latter with the second version of CHILL, which was also percentile based).

I don't know what you mean by three skill levels. It was similiar enough to me to warrant mentioning it.

BRP Ze 32/420

I don't know what you mean by three skill levels. It was similiar enough to me to warrant mentioning it.

I went back and looked, and as it turned out, I _was_ crossing AE and CHILL up. However, AE, other than being percentile based still wasn't that BRP like, since the only way to advance skills was to advance the underlying abilities with experience points. I suppose it turns on what's needed to make something like BRP, and I tend to think a little more than percentile based skills is required; if that was it, as I recall, Rolemaster would count.

I went back and looked, and as it turned out, I _was_ crossing AE and CHILL up. However, AE, other than being percentile based still wasn't that BRP like, since the only way to advance skills was to advance the underlying abilities with experience points. I suppose it turns on what's needed to make something like BRP, and I tend to think a little more than percentile based skills is required; if that was it, as I recall, Rolemaster would count.

That's your viewpoint, and your opinion is valid. Just as my opinion is valid.

BRP Ze 32/420

That's your viewpoint, and your opinion is valid. Just as my opinion is valid.

Well, I was just attempting to point out it was missing a lot of BRP features; I've personally found the BRP/RQ style advancement a more distinct part of the system than just being percentile skill based; the latter can be found in quite a lot of games to one degree or another (Palladium, outside its combat system is percentile skill as I recall), but the roll-to-advance is rather closer to unique.

• 1 month later...

- Aquelarre. The first professionally-published Spanish rpg, back in 1990, by Joc Internacional. Created by Ricard Ibañez, who would later design the Capitán Alatriste rpg, it was (and is, as a third edition is planned) a very gritty game set in the Spanish middle ages (13-14th centuries), during the Reconquista period. Quite deadly combat system. Magic and spells were taken from real grimoires of the time and Spanish, Arab and Jew folklore provide all supernatural creatures and monsters in the book.

Ricard Ibañez is the person who translated RQIII to Spanish, so no wonder that Aquelarre's rules look a lot like the Basic Role-Playing System! (BTW I love Aquelarre and I highly recommend it for any Fantasy Europe BRPS game)

Ricard Ibañez is the person who translated RQIII to Spanish, so no wonder that Aquelarre's rules look a lot like the Basic Role-Playing System! (BTW I love Aquelarre and I highly recommend it for any Fantasy Europe BRPS game)

Do you know if Aquelarre is available outside Spain, and in other languages?

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

Unfortunately my spanish is a little bit bad. :) Is Aquelarre available in englisch? (I dare not to ask in german or french)

Can I buy it somewhere except ebay?

thanx for the info

I personally :innocent: would prefer french, but I could accept english or german.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

The Harnmaster system is RQ derived. I know people who were involved in it's "playtesting". It has diverged somewhat but it's still recognizable.

Definitely. :thumb: I can see elements of RQ3 and ElfQuest in it. The system is mostly RQ with a different damage system and more attributes. Even the skills breakdown and arrangement is similar to RQ3 skill categories with Phsycial, Communication, and Lore (Knowledge) skills.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Sounds like the sort of thing that would really appeal to me...

.....do we have any Spanish speakers on board ? :lol:

Or games in general. I once read somewhere that a lot of the fantasy and science fiction writers of the 30s+ started out playing wargames (what we call miniatures now) together on someones' living room floor in New York during the Depression...like L. Sprague de Camp, Fletcher Pratt, Leigh Brackett, Poul Anderson, I don't remember who all.

As some one who started out playing miniatures wargames befor I moved into fantasy games I can answer that. Fletcher Pratt's Naval Rules are consider a classic set for those who play naval miniatures wargames.

Another classic set of wargame miniature rules is Little Wars by H.G Wells, who I also believe wrote a few Science fiction stories.

You have one here. I remember playing many years ago and it was quite similar o runequest. I cannot give details since I don't own a copy of the rulebooks, but as far as I can remember it was d100 with a medieval/mythological spain background. Quite cool.

Probably "The Tweaker" (Location: Near Madrid (Spain))

* BAMF * I think I heard my name invoked... :cool:

I am the proud owner of a copy of Aquelarre 2nd Ed. How can I help you? Anything you would like to know?

* BAMF * I think I heard my name invoked... :cool:

I am the proud owner of a copy of Aquelarre 2nd Ed. How can I help you? Anything you would like to know?

Hello Tweaker,

Kloster here.

I don't know what AgentOrange wants, but I'm very interested in knowing if Aquelarre is available in languages other than spanish (for me and Empeze, english, french or german).

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

(...) I'm very interested in knowing if Aquelarre is available in languages other than spanish (for me and Empeze, english, french or german).

I heard that an unofficial (and illegal) English version of the rules is supposed to exist. Unfortunately, I don't know much more or where it could be found. :( It's a shame, as it is a fine game which many of our English-speaking friends would probably enjoy.

I think that a French version was published years ago, but the translation was quite bad, apparently, and was considered a failure. Here is a link to an article about this editions and several reviews (in French).