BRP Starships pdf - comments welcome

clarence

Maybe. And Maybe he did!  ;)

Wait a few days and try again. If you still can't message him, I'll try to send him an email. I think I still got his email somewhere.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Triff's been in the UK visiting Scotland and attending Continuum 2014. AFAIK he should be back now but it might be sensible to wait until the later part of the weekend to be sure.

BTW I found Jason Durall's Game of Thrones for BRP files to be messed up as well but I mailed Jason through PM and he sent the files to me direct.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay, but I hope the download is working now. Please try it (in Downloads, Science Fiction) and let me know if there are still any problems. The tag "Broken" in the file list can hopefully be removed, but I'm not sure how. 

I'm also to add a two-page, rather minimalistic, character sheet that I have been using for galaxy explorers recently. I hope you'll enjoy it.

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

A character sheet is now available in downloads. Let me know what you think about it.

I have also added a second download site for BRP Starships 2.0 in the first post of this thread, in case the file is still broken in downloads.

http://ge.tt/9acymz12?c

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

BRP Starships 2.1

Updated version of the generic sci-fi rules for BRP.

Changes in 2.1:

- Hit Locations for starship combat added.

- Re-arranged the rules to have everything related to characters in a separate chapter.

- New entry for world building called Foreign Policy.

- Character Sheet included.

I'm especially interested in what you think about the hit location system. It's a bit fiddly to set up, but I think it runs quite well in play. Any comments welcome as usual!

• 3 weeks later...

Corrected a slightly embarrassing error on the character sheet (the text box with all perception skills had fallen out…). Sorry about that. Version 1.1 is hopefully more useful.

1.1? Shouldn't that be 2.1?  :P

• 5 weeks later...

I just uploaded a new version of BRP Starships (2.2).

What's new in 2.2:

- Gorgeous interior art by Matthias Utomo!

- New chapter on Alien Creation. Starting with universal body plans and traits for planet-wide systems of organisms, then boring down to individual species, their advantages, disadvantages, behavior, preferred form of communication and so on, and ending with guidelines for calculating characteristics.

- Alternate technological paths. Rules for societies evolving technology in ways differing from the standard Tech Levels. 

- Classic star mapping. Easy to use with Hexographer.

- Occupations listed with skills for convenience. New occupations: Belter, Bounty Hunter, Colonist, Diplomat, Mercenary & Pirate.

- Some vehicle samples.

I also have had a few requests about making the pdf available as a print-on-demand book. Would anyone else be interested in this?
  • Like 1

I forgot: There is also an offer to get the cover painting as a print on http://jadrienc.deviantart.com. I ordered a medium-sized print a few days ago for about $7, which I find very reasonable.

The artist, Jadrien Cousens, is a professional matte painter and has very kindly let me use the image for free. I think he is one of the most talented sci-fi artists on DeviantArt and if you enjoy his work and have the opportunity, please support him.

I just uploaded a new version of BRP Starships (2.2).

What's new in 2.2:

- Gorgeous interior art by Matthias Utomo!

- New chapter on Alien Creation. Starting with universal body plans and traits for planet-wide systems of organisms, then boring down to individual species, their advantages, disadvantages, behavior, preferred form of communication and so on, and ending with guidelines for calculating characteristics.

- Alternate technological paths. Rules for societies evolving technology in ways differing from the standard Tech Levels. 

- Classic star mapping. Easy to use with Hexographer.

- Occupations listed with skills for convenience. New occupations: Belter, Bounty Hunter, Colonist, Diplomat, Mercenary & Pirate.

- Some vehicle samples.

I also have had a few requests about making the pdf available as a print-on-demand book. Would anyone else be interested in thisI

I would buy a book.

Daniel

Ok, I have investigated a few alternatives for a 116 page paperback (210 x 210 mm) with color cover as a print-on-demand title.

Lulu: Full color $23, shipping $5 (very approximate - it depends on where you live). Total: $28

Lulu: Black & White $5, shipping as above. Total: $10

Publit: Black & White with 16 color pages $6, shipping (from Sweden) $9. Total: $15

Lulu was my first option, but unfortunately they can't print just a few pages in color. It's either all B&W or all color. That's why I checked with the biggest print-on-demand service here in Sweden (Publit, very good I believe), as they offer mixed color/B&W.

Then there is the question of shipping rates. With Publit it's a bit more expensive (but fixed within EU/USA), but Lulu on the other hand is very secretive about shipping costs, so it's a very rough estimate above. It can be lower, and it can be higher.

Now you might wonder how interior art holds up in black and white. Surprisingly well, I must say after running a few tests in Photoshop. I guess it says something about the quality of Matthias' work. Naturally you lose some clarity and vividness, but the images are still very good.

I would also very much like someone to check the writing before it goes to print. As English is not my first language, I'm sure there are some things I've got all wrong. Does anyone volunteer?

What do you think of all this? Any option that looks more promising than another?

Edit: Would it be impolite of me to consider adding a dollar or two to the price, to re-invest in adding one more interior artist? I have had discussions with one very talented sci-fi draughtsman, but he really wants to get paid. Let me know what you think.

Clarence, I do not know Publit, but I have bought from Lulu before and sometimes they have deals, where you can get either free shipping or % off on books. Right now they have a deal where if you buy $50.00 or more you can get free shipping until 22 December. However, that is just an example, during the year they have similar deals or etc.

In regards to colour vs. B/W, my preference would be a colour cover with B/W interior. Next would be B/W. Then all colour. I don't know if Lulu would do that. If they don't I would be willing to go with Publit.

In regards to more art, that would be OK, but doing without it would be OK too. A dollar or two would not make that much difference to me. However, interior art, I really like B/W. Colour interior plate art (Full page art) and some partial page color art tends to detract from the book itself and I tend to skip over it when reading whereas B/W blends in with the writing and is easier on the eyes. (My preference) I know there are plenty of good artists at www.deviantart.com and http://www.elfwood.com.

In regards to proofreading, I could do it, but I also have other projects that I am working on, so I would not be able to guarantee how long it would take me to finish it. But if no one else volunteers, I can try it.

There are two things that I would like you to consider for publishing. One is in the formating of the manuscript. I took the pdf down to FedEx to see how much it would cost to have it printed in hard copy and the cost from them was $65.00. Stables is supposedly cheaper but you posted this before I went there and this sounded like a better option. The reason they said that it would cost so much (besides the color) is the fact that the manuscript is in 12 x 12 format. I do not know how that came about. I took one of the earlier versions to the local library and it printed out in 8 1/2 by 11". So you might want to check the formating before printing.

Two is you have a lot of empty space in the spread of the manuscript. (at least it looks that way in the pdf when I look at it.) I edit a newsletter for small organization here. Saving space while being as informative as possible is important (financially for the organization and cheaper for the members helps). You might consider removing some of the empty space, say using older spread patterns, such as two columns (or three) per page rather than one so that charts and art can be compressed into ???. Your choice, just a suggestion. Microsoft word and LibreOffice (a free program) both have capabilities to do that.

Anyway I like the idea of having a hard copy and await eagerly the opportunity of showing it to my players. Please keep on with this project.

Thanks, Daniel

• Like 1

Thank you Daniel for your comments!

I'm also in favor of a black and white version with color cover, I think it will be a good start. And Lulu seems like a safe choice. I also found out that Publit has a $35 starting fee per book project - not a deal breaker, but not ideal either.

Regarding more interior art, I'm also a fan of B&W art, especially if it's mixed in with the text. My thought was to keep the color spreads (as I think they work quite well as chapter dividers) and add B&W sketches on the other pages. And that perhaps explains one of the other questions you have, about the amount of white space: I have a a WIP copy of the InDesign file with sketches (not the final one's though) already in it. And it looks very good : ) The pdf you have is the same, only with the art removed.

About the formating of the document, I don't think I'm willing to alter it. Lulu has a "preset" square book that's 8.5x8.5 inches, and it's not more expensive than the other options I think.

If proofreading would be ok for you, that would be perfect. Take your time - but I also think you will find it a quite fast read. You can send me a chapter at a time if it feels more manageable that way. Is pdf a working solution for you to annotate?

I usually get books like this printed at Kinkos. That can do a color cover, B&W interior, with clear plastic cover (that prtects from spills), and a sprial binding that allows you to lie the book down flat. Not too expensive either. It's about 10-15 cents per page, plus $1 for a color cover, and another $4 or so for the binding.