Chaos & Catacombs

threedeesix

For people that enjoy D&D, though, it sounds fantastic! While I'm not a fan of D&D (in any form), I think I might grab this if only for your take on creature stats.

I am an old school D&D guy, started with AD&D 1E, got my own copies of D&D basic and expert sets (because my parents didnt knwo the difference that christmas, they just knew I liked D&D and wound up getting me D&D expert set, AD&D Legends and Lore and a Grey Hawk box set, none of which were not all really that compatible, but me and my friends didnt seem to care. Just try to find The Isle of Dread on the Greyhawk maps.)

I though 2E was just about perfect. Late in high school i discovered palladium games and Marvel heroes.

In college I discovered the whole CoC world, amongst other games like DC Heros and Warhammer Fantasy.

Now I would rate the games as follows.

1. DC Heroes/Blood of Heroes

2. Dark Heresy/Warhammer Fantasy Role Play

3. BRP games, especially CoC

4. D6 system (not legends though)

5. MERP

6. AD&D 1E and 2E

7. Old School BXCMI rules for D&D

8. SLA Industries

9. Cyberpunk

10. Conspiracy X

As you can see Im not fond of level systems, as MERP and all Variations of D&D are up there for nostalgic reasons.

What I really like in RPGs is sourcebooks. Each game listed up there (other then Dark Heresy, but that is a new game) have lots of sourcebooks or variations of the game that work well together.

And yet Palladium still doesnt make the list. Hmmm.

Rifts, great initial setting, crappy system should have ended after 4 or 5 book.

So I too am looking forward to Chaos and Catacombs to see two of my favorite games merged into one set of rules and to see what I can steal from it for ideas.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Morfiend,

Sorry I'm only getting back to you now. Work is very busy and I hardly have time to even check the forums, which is the problem actually.

Chaos & Catacombs is still being worked on, but slowly. If I had to guess I would say its about 75-80% done.

Heres an update.

New name is Sword & Spell.

Chapter 1: Introduction

Done: 4 pages

Chapter 2: Character Creation

Done: 39 pages

Chapter 3: Skills

Done: 9 pages

Chapter 4: Spells and Spellcasting

Partly Done: 20 pages, The rules are laid down, just have more spells to convert.

Chapter 5: Equipment

Done: 10 pages; May add some more stuff if theres room, but the basic stuff is all there.

Chapter 6: Spot Rules

Done: 20 pages; I personally like this chapter best, it covers everything from disbelieving an illusion and listening at doors, to marching order and tunneling.

Chapter 8: Monsters

Mostly Done: 47 pages; Just have more monsters to convert.

Chapter 9: Treasure

Nothing done: Will have typical treasure tables based on the monsters toughness, based in part on the rules in RQ2.

Chapter 10: Possible Sample Adventure

Nothing done: This will only be included if space is available, and to be honest, there probably wont be.

The page counts noted above are with 10 point type and unformatted with no art, so do not represent the finished product. Being a monograph, I will have to lay it out myself, which I have never done, and provide artwork which I either have to do myself of find some clip art for commercial use.

I wish I could give you an estimate on its release, but unless work changes in the near future I have enough time to but pick at it.

One final note, the playtesting is going well and while it has itself slowed down, the comments have been very helpful.

Thanks for your interest,

Rodney Leary

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

(Some people must have gotten fed up with angsty vampires. Now that is ripe for a spoof game.)

Just... had... to...

Optional rules used : Sanity and Allegiance.

Allegiance is to Angst and Monsterousness. Every time Monsterousness goes up, Sanity goes down. Every time Angst goes up, Sanity goes up. Essentially, if you're the kind of vampire that goes around indescriminately killing people and then bragging about it in seedy goth bars, you'll go mad. However, if you're the kind of vampire who goes around indescriminately killing people and then crying about it to your girlfriend afterwards, you'll be fine.

Superpowers are used for the powers, except that you use blood points instead of power points to activate them. You start with 10 points to spend on super-powers. You get one extra point to spend on them for every point of Monsterousness you gain (you can't lose Monsterousness, once you do bad things you've done them, period.). Blood points are also based on Monsterousness, you can have a maximum of 1/2 Monsterousness, rounded down.

Those damn power-gaming vampires can also use the magic rules.

Elders are all Monsterous to a high degree, but have varying degrees of Angst and Sanity (usually quite low).

You gain blood points by biting people and draining 1hp/round for 1 blood point/hp.

Occasionally, and mostly at random, your GM will get you to roll against your Monstrousness. If you pass, you enter frenzy and start killing everyone around you. This act can increase your Monstrousness. If it ever reaches 100, you enter frenzy forever. You can elect to roll against your Angst and if you fail you enter frenzy. Vampires that have a high Monsterousness and low Angst spend most of their time angrily slaying random people.

So as not to drive this totally off-topic, a dungeon-crawling, dragon-slaying classic fantasy supplement is one that is definitely needed for BRP and this one sounds particularly good. So good on you, 3D6. I like what you've done with magic, making similar spells the same just with varying power points - an excellent way to transfer classic D&D to BRP.

Edited by Byron Alexander

Chaos & Catacombs is still being worked on, but slowly. If I had to guess I would say its about 75-80% done.

What's the ETA?

New name is Sword & Spell.

Blurb updated.

Chapter 10: Possible Sample Adventure

Nothing done: This will only be included if space is available, and to be honest, there probably wont be.

Yes! We want Possible Sample Adventure! :)

Speaking of space, do you actually have a max word count you have to limit yourself to?

:beetle:

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

What's the ETA?

I hope it will be by summer, but I cant even tell you when I will be able to get back to writing it. Hopefully for a few hours on Monday as I have it off, but after that I don't know.

Yes! We want Possible Sample Adventure! :)

As do I. We'll see what I can do. At the very least maybe a free downloadable PDF at the time of release.

Speaking of space, do you actually have a max word count you have to limit yourself to?

Not a word count, but page count is limited to 200 from what Dustin told me.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

• 2 weeks later...

If you find yourself needing any more extra spot illustrations, PM me. I will donate a few pieces to a worthy cause. I am also a published illustrator.

But, when at the last the arm of Skarl shall cease to beat his drum, silence shall startle Pegana like thunder in a cave, and MANA-YOOD-SUSHAI shall cease to rest......Lord Dunsany

Responsible for: https://ancientvaults.wordpress.com/

another interested party here! can also shanghai my group for playtesting if need be.

I just freed up a little time and should be able to do a little writing again. Playtesting has pretty much slowed down except on the local level until I can be sure I have the proper time to take all suggestions into consideration. I will add you to the list for later though.

PK Games, if you read this, your first on the list as well.

Rod

If you find yourself needing any more extra spot illustrations, PM me. I will donate a few pieces to a worthy cause. I am also a published illustrator.

Thanks, I may take you up on that as I have nothing lined up yet. I'll let you know when I get closer to the layout stage.

Rod

• 1 month later...

Do you have an estimate of when you'll be submitting the manuscript to Chaosium? An ETA update for the blurb? :confused:

SGL.

Hope to turn Sword & Spell in to Chaosium late May/early June. Depending on how the editing and layout goes.

Rod

This guy spends way too much time on Xbox Live! If we could get his account banned he'd have things wrapped up by the end of March.

:D

I'm on there purely for inspiration. ;)

Sword & Spell, game controller sold separately. >:->

Rod

HOW ABOUT " Dragon Slayers & Dungeoneers

Meh - a bit long. Wouldn't shorter be better? "Dung & Drag" :)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

How about "Dee & Dee"

Rod

Even shorter - great! But who are these Dee Brothers, and why are they integral to the game? Your lawyers? ;)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Even shorter - great! But who are these Dee Brothers, and why are they integral to the game? Your lawyers? ;)

You don't need lawyers in this industry. We're one big happy family. :rolleyes:

Edited by threedeesix

• 1 month later...

Big change number two. Parody is gone, Homage is in. After discussing it with Dustin we came to the conclusion that it will sell better as a homage to classic dungeon delves and frankly I think that’s great. I wanted to make this change myself but wasn’t sure how to approach Dustin on it after being given the go ahead on parody. I had a lot of fun coming up with all the parody at the beginning, but now I’m at the “oh my god, how can I make this thing sound funny” and “wow, I cant think of anything funny to say about the frost giant, what am I going to do about the hill, fire, cloud, storm etc” stage.

I'm glad that the parody is out and homage is in. May Gygax the Great guide your hand and Almighty Arneson inspire your writing!:thumb:

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have Remove Curse and Cure Disease in C&C?

Remove Curse

Class: Magic-user, Cleric

Range: Touch

Duration: Instantaneous

Magic Point Cost per level: 1

Your character can use this spell to rid him or herself (or another target) of an ongoing negative effect, or curse. Like Countermagic, it must overcome the level of the curse on the resistance table. Remove Curse must be directed at a particular curse in effect on the target character. If the target is protected by Countermagic, it must get through the Countermagic as usual to have an effect on the target as intended.

Purify

Class: Cleric, Druid

Range: Touch

Duration: Permanent

Magic Point Cost per Level: 1

This spell can be used to remove the effects of poison or disease on one living creature, or to make contaminated food and water pure and suitable to eat or drink. This will not prevent further natural decay however. Each level of this spell, if cast within 5 minutes of being afflicted, will reduce the disease or poison by 3 POT points. This spell will not restore hit points already lost, however it will restore 1 temporarily lost characteristic point per spell level due to the affliction. Permanently lost characteristics require the spell Restoration. Each level can also be used to purify enough food to feed a half-dozen people or purify 6 water skins worth of contaminated water.

Thanks to Harshax for suggesting combining purify food and water and remove disease into one spell.

Edited by threedeesix