Hearts in Glorantha - Call for contributions

Newt

Hi all,

I'm putting together a new Gloranthan fanzine called 'Hearts in Glorantha' and I'm looking for articles and art work.

Article wise I'm looking for a diverse selection of topics that are light and fun. Background, homelands, GM/Narrator advice, Fiction, NPCs, scenario seeds and full adventure write ups, all these things will be considered.

What system you use is up to you. The license that Greg and Jeff Richards have kindly sorted out for me, covers HeroQuest, old RuneQuest and Mongoose RuneQuest in the 2nd Age. If you don't use one of the 'official' systems, you can even be a heretic and send in your ideas and rules conversions. As long as its set in Glorantha I don't care.

Contributors as well as having the pleasure of seeing their work in print, will also receive the issue of fanzine their work appears in.

I'm aiming to get the first issue out by the beginining of August, just in time for the mighty Continuum convention. The second issue will then hopefully emerge just before the end of the year. The fanzine will be available in both print and Pdf formats.

If you are interested in contributing or helping out in any way please email me off list, at mrnewt AT gmail DOT com.

• Like 1

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

I will email you as I have some stuff tucked away, but It might rally some support here if people see that others are going to contribute.

I would be willing to help in some way, proof reading and stuff.

Anywho what ever happens good to see a fanzine comming about.

Adrian.

I'm putting together a new Gloranthan fanzine called 'Hearts in Glorantha' and I'm looking for articles and art work.

I have a bit of a problem here, in that I think I've gone off Glorantha a bit recently. Not more barbarian culture articles, please! I'd prefer a BRP fanzine. But if BRP stuff is allowed, it's probably worth supporting. (Rules for converting HeroQuest to BRP? >:-> No, I don't have the HQ knowledge to do any, just exploring the limits of heresy... ;))

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I have a bit of a problem here, in that I think I've gone off Glorantha a bit recently. Not more barbarian culture articles, please! I'd prefer a BRP fanzine. But if BRP stuff is allowed, it's probably worth supporting. (Rules for converting HeroQuest to BRP? >:-> No, I don't have the HQ knowledge to do any, just exploring the limits of heresy... ;))

I'll be leaving the job of doing a dedicated BRP fanzine to someone else :) Saying that I've already got a few offers of some BRP stuff in its RQ version for issue 1.

As for endless Barbarian-loving articles, HiG won't be delivering that since I want to make each issue diverse. Besides as a Lunar-lover there's only so much I can take of those Sartarite skumbags :P

As for HQ -> BRP thats more a system issue, rather than a Gloranthan one. My personal opinion is while you could graft on various bits of HQ onto BRP, they are such different systems in terms of scale and scope that its better to use each for where its good. In terms of systems heresy I was thinking using Burning Wheel for Sun County, Savage Worlds for Prax and Unknown Armies for Lunar Intrigue.

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

In terms of systems heresy I was thinking using Burning Wheel for Sun County, Savage Worlds for Prax and Unknown Armies for Lunar Intrigue.

This is an excellent break-down of the tone each of these parts of Glorantha has. The systems you map to each culture/area definitely give a different "feel" to what goes on in each place.

The system support for the setting's tone is one of the most overlooked aspects of modern game design, IMO.

On the other side of the argument, I do believe there are ways to use BRP to support non-adventure games. Very much looking forward to HiG, despite being somewhat disenchanted with the setting. Please let me know if we on the other side of the pond might get our hands on your 'zine!

Regards -

Emerging from my Dark Age...

• 2 months later...

So this is the cover I have done for Newt for the first issue of 'Hearts In Glorantha'.

I am pleased with it, especially the letters in the main title as they are my own design from many years ago. I hope to make them into a proper font once I have found a font making software package for the mac.

I am by the way the un-official Art Director for HiG so I will be producing more artwork and trying to source new artists for the future issues.

CoverHiG-01.jpg

Cheers, Darran

Continuum 2014. John Foster Hall, Leicester University. UK.

Friday 25th - Monday 28th July 2014.

http://www.continuum.uk.net

So this is the cover I have done for Newt for the first issue of 'Hearts In Glorantha'.

I am pleased with it, especially the letters in the main title as they are my own design from many years ago. I hope to make them into a proper font once I have found a font making software package for the mac.

I am by the way the un-official Art Director for HiG so I will be producing more artwork and trying to source new artists for the future issues.

CoverHiG-01.jpg

Now thats vera vera purdy!

SDLeary

Current plan for distribution is make it available as a low cost pdf via RPGnow and similar sites and as a print on demand version from Lulu.com.

Lulu also offers pdf downloads. Don't know if your planning on a profit margin, but if not you can make it available for free at Lulu.

• 12 years later...
23 hours ago, coffeemancer said:

wellp. thats what happens when you have a "skip to last page" button next to the "next page" button while phoneposting.

Extra points for an enthusiastic LBQ!

Hey @Newt, In Wind Words a couple of episodes ago I got all excited about your announcement of an issue planned for summer of 2020. Any news?

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

18 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

That being said, always good to see artists willing to contribute!

Indeed!

And it's not as if Newt has abandoned all HiG plans...  The new offer may be newly relevant!    🙂  

C'es ne pas un .sig