Gods' War board game

Steve

Inspired by Andrew Jones' post on G+ here are some major news updates on the upcoming God's War boardgame, direct from Sandy Petersen on the Boardgamegeek forums:

"We have traveled some distance down the road of how much Gods War will cost, at least on the Kickstarter. So, first off, let me say that everything I say here is subject to change! I cannot be held to it, in case our manufacturer or our sculptors or for that matter our concept artists suddenly increase costs. But our plan is to price it in this way, subject to the vagaries of fate and economics. Also note that we do keep our eyes on whether or not we can reduce prices - which we would do if our costs unexpectedly lowered. 

We are believers in the theory that if we can reduce our prices, we will increase our sales by more than the proportional difference, so while this is a selfish theory from our point of view, it also benefits y'all. However, at no point will we decrease quality of the game components. Making it "cheaper" is only acceptable if it goes along with unchanged or even improved material. 

Again note that these are estimated Kickstarter campaign prices - everything will be more expensive on store shelves. 

THE CORE PLEDGE $100. Contains the core game, with everything needed to play. Also entitles you to all stretch goals. 

THE EVERYTHING PLEDGE $350. Contains ALL of the stuff being produced for this kickstarter, a total of 9 boxes. At the moment it includes 166 figures. Once all stretch goals are met, it will include 198 figures by my estimate. 

This is a significant drop in cost from Cthulhu Wars, yet it contains figures that are, on the average, larger than Cthulhu Wars – many of the figures in Cthulhu Wars were cultists. In Gods War, we have no cultists. The factions have no “universal” unit, though buildings come close. "

Also, Jonathan Geere posted the following on G+, though I can't find the BGG source for this:

"Update also from BoardGameGeek:
Q) Are you still on track for an April Kickstarter for Glorantha: The Gods' War?
Sandy – we just bumped it to a final firm date of May 9th, to ensure all of our ducks are in that row."

Edited by Steve

Thanks. Going to start putting money aside so I have a few coins come April.

My wife for some reason think paying for the House and feeding the kids is more important then me buying games so it takes me  a while to make a big purchase. I don't understand women.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Steve said:

Also, Jonathan Geere posted the following on G+, though I can't find the BGG source for this:

"Update also from BoardGameGeek:
Q) Are you still on track for an April Kickstarter for Glorantha: The Gods' War?
Sandy – we just bumped it to a final firm date of May 9th, to ensure all of our ducks are in that row."

The link to the source (which took me a while to find again!) is at the end of the page:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1477780/ask-sandy-8/page/8

Edited by jongjom
clarification
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TRose said:

Thanks. Going to start putting money aside so I have a few coins come April.

My wife for some reason think paying for the House and feeding the kids is more important then me buying games so it takes me  a while to make a big purchase. I don't understand women.

I totally get where you're coming from mate heh heh

• Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

No Praxian faction, but Genert is part of the Earth faction. Sea, Earth, Lunar, Malkioni are player faction expansions, and get their war god/magic god/other god in the respective expansions. Ducks, dragonewts, Vadeli, and I guess ´aldryami and mostali are independent factions in the Elder Races expansion that can be allied.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

will there be any way to play it over Internet (pbem or whatever ). I'm not talking about a computer version, but about mechanics allowing at least to play per mail. I think board games designers should think about all these poor players spread all other the world without enough partners. And it would increase the sales, since every player would need a copy of the game ?

• Like 1

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

4 hours ago, Zit said:

will there be any way to play it over Internet (pbem or whatever ). I'm not talking about a computer version, but about mechanics allowing at least to play per mail. I think board games designers should think about all these poor players spread all other the world without enough partners. And it would increase the sales, since every player would need a copy of the game ?

I don't think that anything delaying the game would be that much fun to play. A single game doesn't run that long, and it is fun when played at a good pace. Dragging out the player turns could reduce the enjoyment quite a bit.

The gather phase could be done by an administrator who manages the board that is streamed e.g. via webcam(s - one for the total, and a second zooming in on actions). The action phase has a couple of interactive steps, like trading (e.g. the Black Market heroquest of the Darkness faction which can trade away a rune once per turn) or combats, or non-interactive ones like placing a unit on the board or moving the units from one area (or, if Yelm makes it out of hell, all of the Solar units regardless where they stand - possibly only after placing a heroquest, I only played Chaos and Darkness so far). Combat consists of counting the dice for each size, rolling them and counting the kill and hurt results, and applying special rules like automatic kills or hurts, then applying these results to the units in the area. The player moving a hurt unit out chooses which unit, the player having caused the hurt chooses where it goes. Rolling the dice could be done via an app, or simply under the eye of a webcam. Assigning losses and acting those out is probably best done by talking to one another.

A hangout with webcam coverage and a master board doing all the moves would be possible, I guess. That takes some work for the host, though.

Copying all the moves to your own physical board at home would create differences sooner or later. An adaptation to a virtual game board could be done, I guess, or score cards, possibly printed, with the units shown as symbols. Not manhandling those miniatures takes away the haptic component of placing your units.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

7 hours ago, Zit said:

There are a lot of excellent board game adaptations to PC and tablets these days.Seems the best way to make it playable over the Internet is to make it an awesome game that gets good reviews and sales, then take it to an established company and make a deal to get it made. Given the success of King of Dragon Pass on mobile devices, I don't think licensing another Glorantha game in that market would be the toughest sell in the world.