Uleria in Solar Cult

Haimji

Hi

In Satar books, there is data about Uleria as Subcult for Esrola, involved in sacred Prostitution, with 3 Temples only : Apple Lane, Boldhome and Pavis. Her 2 others aspect : Communication and Reproduction seems to not been worshipped. Issaries takes her place as God of Communication, and Esrola, (her subcult like Uralda) is involved into Reproduction.

I m searching for datas about Uleria in Solar Cults, and Yelmite culture. Do you thing Yelmalions pay visit to Ulerian temple at pavis? Do they have another idea about Uleria? More romantic one? They do not worship Esrola, so perhaps they use Uleria as fertility goddess?

5 hours ago, Haimji said:

I m searching for datas about Uleria in Solar Cults, and Yelmite culture. Do you thing Yelmalions pay visit to Ulerian temple at pavis? Do they have another idea about Uleria? More romantic one? They do not worship Esrola, so perhaps they use Uleria as fertility goddess?

Yelmalions certainly visit Uleria temples - see Sun County by MOB. Approximately one in a hundred women in Sun County are members of Uleria's cult, and the High Priestess of Uleria in Pavis is an orphan of the Yelmalion 'quarter' Sun Town. Her temple in Pavis lies within the borders of Sun Town. In Sartarite and Yelmalion custom (at least in Pavis) attending her priestesses is not adulterous and does not violate marriage contracts. Sartarites view Uleria as a guise of Esrola.

The Solar cults of Dara Happa recognize Uleria but don't like her. In the Guide, she is present upon the Gods Wall but described thus: The Goddess of Lust, Lewdness, Nakedness, and Fertility. She was allowed into Heaven because she had been Love, a member of the Celestial Court. But when the rest of Glorantay rightfully fled she remained behind and so was perverted by the world and destroyed it. She is also called Celestial Body 69. She is also called by many names unfit for ink and papyrus. However, as a recognized goddess, she has temples in Dara Happan, but probably very discrete ones off the main streets.

The sources you need to look at are: The Guide to Glorantha, Pavis: Gateway to Adventure, and the long out-of-print Sun County.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 2

Whipping out my handy dandy Sun County, there are a number of references to Uleria.  Only one of them seems relevant to this discussion, other than that there's a shrine to her among Lightbringer shrines in one of the towns in the county (and an acolyte who figures slightly in one of the scenarios):

...(though bachelor [Yelmalio] cultists may worship with Uleria priestesses who travel a regular circuit through the larger villages of the county)...

(p. 7)

Not surprisingly, Ernalda appears to be the most popular Earth goddess in the county.

(Thanks MOB, or whoever wrote that particular section.)  :)

Edited by Yelm's Light
  • Like 1

Thank you very much, both of you !

One of my player come back at my table. She plays a worshipper of Uleria (as Esrola Subcult) and my new campaign is in Pavis. So i really need as much datas as i can find :)

I don't have "The Guide to Glorantha" but i have "pavis : gateway". Sun county is the original book translated into "Les Guerriers du Soleil" in french? I have got this one but i didn't remember this part about Uleria, thank you for your helpful quotes ! :)

Interestingly enough, we never used Ulerian cultists in our games until someone suggested later that they could be modeled after Firefly's/Serenity's companions. 

After that, the cult became more used in games.

• Like 3

Say no to censorship

• "Did he say he was a Rune Lord or that he knew one?"
  • "Go, and never darken my towels again."
  • "Ach Crimmens! Ye smited me...ye craven. Worra, worra. What would me Mum say?"

9 hours ago, Iskallor said:

Ha my pcs need to travel into Sun County. Pretending to be an Ulerian priestess and her guards would be the way..... :D

Then, they may encourter all the horny bachelors

6 hours ago, killian68 said:

Hello,

yep, this is the translation of the sun county sourcebook.

thank you !

14 hours ago, Sayerson said:

Interestingly enough, we never used Ulerian cultists in our games until someone suggested later that they could be modeled after Firefly's/Serenity's companions. 

After that, the cult became more used in games.

I think the model would be the "hetaera/hetaira" -- clearly, Firefly hearkened back to that itself!  Note that the translation of that term to English is, in fact, "Companion."

But certainly Firefly offers a more vivid and accessible presentation... ;-)

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

l had 3 players who want to play a Uleria whorshipper.

One was focused on the Reproduction thing, acting more like a modwife than a prostitute.

Another was inspired by Firefly (great TV show by the way). Her character was a courtesan, a companion.

The last one plays more like a hooker :lol: and her character gonna worship Uleria at Pavis.

• Like 1

I always got the impression that fertility rune cults often knew something of Uleria.  Consider poor Norayeep trying to get Biturian to buy Morak by "whispering of Uleria's arts" (not that Biturian listened overly hard).  Uleria initiation is not difficult compared to most cults, and one might suppose that even warriors could see the value in being skilled lovers.  There is after all no reason why Uleria would be an exclusively female cult, or exclusively based around prostitution.  As any player of Pendragon knows, there are more facets to the arts of love than merely banging away like ZZ berserker.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Darius West said:

There is after all no reason why Uleria would be an exclusively female cult, or exclusively based around prostitution.

I agree, i can imagine a menestrel from Donandar cult also whorshipper of Uleria as Goddess of true Love. Or a worshipper of Issaries want to share Peace by trade and Communication. Or even a Healer from Chalana Arroy wants to be a better midwife.

• Like 2

A male Donander Priest who is also an Initiate of Uleria:

For some reason I am picturing a happy-go-lucky rogue with the song 'Just A Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody' playing in the background.

Or perhaps a 1960s style Tom Jones-like character strutting his thang with the fair maidens swooning off his every word...

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 08/10/2016 at 8:16 PM, M Helsdon said:

There's a full write-up of the cult of Uleria in Different Worlds #38.

Thank you. I checked but its not a write-up but a preview from "gods of glorantha".

i 've got another question : what is the official costume for an ulerian priestess?

does she wear a green dress like a esrolian priestesss? a white dress? a yellow one?

9 minutes ago, Mankcam said:

I think perhaps a skimpy one heh heh :P

Actually, I was thinking "whatever fits into the local culture, and makes the worshipers most comfortable."  Their sacred duty, after all, is not to be provocative/titillating (unless maybe in such a sexually-repressive culture that Uleria call them to provocation/titillation) but to elicit worship...  And they get more worship if they DON'T challenge the local mores too sharply...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Note that Uleria in Peloria is disapproved as (as noted) by Dara Happans solar cults, but approved of by Pelandans and probably by the peasant religions worshipped by most people across Peloria (eg I think Uleria is considered friendly by Lodril and Oria and their variants such as Turos). The mentions of Uleria in the Entekosiad are much more positive than the ones in GROY. So the nobles frown on the Ulerians, but there are probably many in less exalted circles. 

The Lunars probably have no issues with Ulerians either. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, g33k said:

Actually, I was thinking "whatever fits into the local culture, and makes the worshipers most comfortable."  Their sacred duty, after all, is not to be provocative/titillating (unless maybe in such a sexually-repressive culture that Uleria call them to provocation/titillation) but to elicit worship...  And they get more worship if they DON'T challenge the local mores too sharply...

That's what i thought.

But on "Pavis : gateway to adventure" : "Uleria priestesses are easily recognized by their distinctive costume."

So, what is this costume? Do they have another one for anothers coutries?

And yes Dave, that's why i'm thinking costumes are not the same in all countries. But i still wondering what is the costume they use in pavis?