Fate of BRP

Kesendeja

19 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Yeah. It seems the vast majority of GMs want to run pre-generated adventures in some licensed or otherwise official setting. Writing up your own adventures and setting have become more the exception than the rule. 

The average age of roleplayers are getting higher. As a young nerd I could spend hours and days making and preparing adventures and campaigns for our once weekly full day sessions, now I game around 3 hrs. every week (which I'm pretty satisfied with all considering) with minimal preparation. Pregenerated adventures have become an absolute necessity for me.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

1 hour ago, Trifletraxor said:

The average age of roleplayers are getting higher.

That's because it's a dying hobby. So you have people who've been playing for years continuing to play, and not as many younger people picking up "paper & pencil" RPGs, or sticking with them as opposed to computer games.. It's odd because, on the other hand, RPGs are probably more well known and ore people familiar with them than ever before, yet fewer people are playing them.  

1 hour ago, Trifletraxor said:

As a young nerd I could spend hours and days making and preparing adventures and campaigns for our once weekly full day sessions, now I game around 3 hrs. every week (which I'm pretty satisfied with all considering) with minimal preparation. Pregenerated adventures have become an absolute necessity for me.

I know the feeling. I don't even get in 3 hours a week these days. I work 3rd shift, and so usually can't coordinate my schedule with anyone else do do much of anything. Getting a chuck of several hours at the same time as several of my friends is difficult to pull off, especially at the frequency required to game. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

When I was in my teens and twenties I would tend to go through long stages of having months and months of having absolutely no one to game with, interspersed with periods of regular session-playing, during which we would play anywhere from tri-weekly thru to fortnightly. So for me it was often a drought for months, but when it did eventually rain then it tended to bucket down.

Now I have had a regular group playing for almost the last decade, for which I count myself very lucky. However due to all our vocational and domestic commitments we only aim for a monthly session, although this can easily stretch to double and sometimes triple that. We do use a chat channel and play an online MMO on a weekly or fortnightly evening, but that's purely to maintain our social connections, it pales in comparison to when we actually sit down face-to-face for a tabletop rpg session. 

As the main GM, I appreciate having published campaign material I can read in prep in the month or so prior to our session, although I sometimes import other scenarios or make my own up in between the major published episodes. I think if I had both more actual time and more 'mental' time, then I wouldn't really care too much for published scenarios. However being time-poor I can say that a good published campaign is a great structure for me to use as a foundation for our own games.

I agree that it is an odd era. On one hand the concept of tabletop rpgs is no longer viewed as a nerdy activity, and indeed the concept of 'nerds' seems to have almost disappeared. Now it's replaced with the less derogatory notion of 'geekdom', and also due to the film industry, fanzine genre and gaming is also viewed much more mainstream now. Certainly the industry's publishing standards have also really picked up, so I find it is the best time for rpg products overall.

On the other hand, actual tabletop rpg remains a fringe hobby within the larger fanzine hobby scene. In Australia I tend to find rpg books on the outer shelves in fanzine shops (predominantly D&D), with graphic novel comics, premium board games, trading card games, and miniature games populating most of the shop space. These fanzine shops were never big in rural or regional areas, but in our larger urban cities these shops are getting harder to find as well, with a large number of people who are attracted to the fanzine genre flocking to the electronic games shops for their PC and console games.

So I guess this trend is everywhere to an extent. It is quite unusual, as the online presence of tabletop rpgs probably keeps the entire industry from going under I think, as the actual physical presence of the hobby seems to be dwindling. Time will tell if this trend continues I guess.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I am in the lucky position to have a new established RPG group. We started as a Tabletop Wargaming group, and then I announced a one-shot Horror RPG. We played the introductory game from 'Dark Matter', but used the Cypher System.

Now we are playing a monthly game of Dresden Files (with the Cypher System), but I am about to change that to RD100. Not because I want to, but because of the players. They more or less ignore all the 'Abilities' (rules) the Cypher System offers - and play it more free-style. And free-style is better (smoother) handled with RD100, IMHO.

Also, I think I can emulate the DresdenVerse better with any BRP game, than with a rigid class-based system. This is where the BRP system shines most: you have Skills, Attributes and a Power system. That's it. Everything can be incorporated into these three parts. But that was always my opinion anyways. ;)

Get the dice rolling!

• Like 1

Cipher is not a bad system, but I think BRP still plays much better. In BRP I really like how the core % mechanic is so logical, and how the game mechanics fade into the background, letting the actual storytelling take centre stage.

Let us know how your experiences with RD100 go!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

On 6/4/2017 at 0:08 PM, soltakss said:

From a personal point of view, I bought the RuneQuest Classics as PDFs and will buy the RQ3 supplements if they are brought out in a similar way.

Has there been any more word about a potential Kickstarter for a "deluxe" version of RQ3, in the same vein as RQC? I remember seeing something about that a while ago.

8 hours ago, K Peterson said:

Has there been any more word about a potential Kickstarter for a "deluxe" version of RQ3, in the same vein as RQC? I remember seeing something about that a while ago.

I think it's still a likely option, but Chaosium is prioritizing completing on existing KS's before lauching another; and I'm betting on RQG to also come before such a KS...

C'es ne pas un .sig