Gloranthaites Assemble

Y Mab Darogan

The HeroQuest Sartar books and Pavis books contain alot of localised information, and the HeroQuest stats make up less than 10% of the content.

Even if not playing HeroQuest, you will find a wealth of knowledge in these books.

• Like 3

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

22 minutes ago, Mankcam said:

The HeroQuest Sartar books and Pavis books contain alot of localised information, and the HeroQuest stats make up less than 10% of the content.

Even if not playing HeroQuest, you will find a wealth of knowledge in these books.

I'll add them to my list :)

“Fe Godwn ni eto”

”Yma o hyd”

”Cymru rydd”

In the Sartar books, just bear in mind that many of the illustrations of Sartarites may not be consistent with contemporary depictations (which is a return to earlier inferences from the RQ2 era).

From the Guide To Glorantha onwards, Orlanthi are less celtic/saxon influenced, and are more closer to a Mycenaean Age culture (think possibly Thracians meet Minoans and Achaeans).

Other than that, the content remains current. 

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

15 hours ago, Mankcam said:

In the Sartar books, just bear in mind that many of the illustrations of Sartarites may not be consistent with contemporary depictations (which is a return to earlier inferences from the RQ2 era).

Or some of us think of it as a 'Gregging' of the Orlanthi, because someone spotted a look and feel they preffered.

They was virtually nothing in is saw in RQ2 which pitches the Orlanthi and Satarites as Mycenaean Age culture.

Actually RQ2 was much more pseudo generic fantasy/medievil in terms of culture described and technology used.

It was RQ3 that really go the bronze age feel right but that was in Prax, the first published in depth works to do with Satar and the Orlanthi. Was King of Satar and some of the later RQ3 stuff based round Dorastor, and to my mind the celtic/saxon/viking thing was very apparent then.

The celtic/saxon/viking things is consistent from that point onwards through the heroquest, and King of Dragon Pass eras.

Then hard to turn towards Orlanthi/Satar being Mycenaean era, Urban focused and pushing the celt/saxon/viking thing away is very recent.

Edited by Jon Hunter
  • Like 2

A lot of the artwork from the RQ2 era hinted at being very ancient world, perhaps more vaguely Hellenic or generic sword n sorcery than anything.

However it was all very non-specific and quite inconsistent, esp books like Pavis & Big Rubble which had a very ancient flavoured setting but some of the tavern patrons looks like late medeival from memory. However it did get more consistently ancient flavoured as more RQ2 products came out.

RQ3 core book also felt quite ancient, but it wasnt Glorantha. Yes I think it was the pics of Orlanthi in the Glorantha box and later in the Dorarstor book that really headed things down the celtic/saxon flavour that was much more prominent from the HW/HQ era onwards.

Yes really pinning the Orlanthi down to a Mycenaean Age style culture is recent, but I feel it does pay homage to some of the inferences from RQ2.

Edited by Mankcam

Depicting different Gloranthan cultures in the style of ancient Earth cultures is all well and good, but IMHO the best Gloranthan art looks like it depicts a Gloranthan culture and is completely un-Earthly (e.g. Gene Day's art).

Now that is to accept that certain armour / weapons etc. could look similar to this or that Earth era. However, great RQ art should have definite non-Earthly aspects (forex: Gene Day's Eternal Battle; the more recent Vale of Flowers snippet) that takes the reader's mind away from drawing Earthly parallels. For me, The Coming Storm drawings were very well drawn, but missed a trick in this respect.

• Like 1

Yes the Gene Day art was great, hearing that name makes me want to go find my old RQ2 Companion that I have in storage somewhere.

That art really felt quite ancient and sword n sorcery, and it really didnt lock onto any real world historical culture.

Now I'm off to search for my RQ2 Companion...

On 6/8/2017 at 8:34 PM, HorusArisen said:

So I've got King of Sartar and the Guide to Glorantha. Planning to get the Glorantha sourcebook but what else does one need for a complete collection of Glorantha lore?

Glorantha Classics, in particular Cults Compendium, also Sartar and Sartar Companion.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

22 minutes ago, HorusArisen said:

Some great recommendations but given that I have King of Sartar and the guide what should I get first?

Are you just picking up books to read or are you looking to game within Glorantha? 

23 minutes ago, HorusArisen said:

Some great recommendations but given that I have King of Sartar and the guide what should I get first?

Cults Compendium - It has a lot of mythology and God Time background, basically the ones from Cults of Prax, Cults and Terror and bits from Borderlands, Griffin Mountain and Pavis.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

14 minutes ago, Zac said:

Are you just picking up books to read or are you looking to game within Glorantha? 

For now just to read. I had a Mythras game set to go but real life has forced my gaming into hiatus.

After the Mythras one and with RQG hopefully released I was looking to getting to start a game in Glorantha.

“Fe Godwn ni eto”

”Yma o hyd”

”Cymru rydd”

My favourites have been the Cult books as well as the new Pavis: Pathway to Adventure book. 

As much as people like Sartar, I have a soft spot in my heart for Pavis so anything to do with it is always a favourite. 

• Like 2

I get fed up with the "Viking" meme toted about for each and every sword-wielding fighter dressed for cold weather. While I agree that the skin color of at least some of the warriors ganging up with the blue Orlanth could be several shades darker, our heroine and her tone of skin have been established since the cover of RQ2.

We know that the Heortlings come in a number of skin tones. Some bear a stronger Helering ancestry, others share the same skin tone as the Pentan horse riders through Hyaloring ancestry, others may have different admixtures, even from western influences (e.g through Arkat's companions).

It appears that even under the new art direction some families like e.g. Fazzur's favor a western tone of skin (remember the series of portraits of Argrath's companions, with Annstad being real pale compared to e.g. Elusu).

Celts belong as much to the cold Atlantic shore as they do to the Mediterranean - as in northern Italy or Anatolia.

Edited by Joerg

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Just now, Joerg said:

I get fed up with the "Viking" meme toted about for each and every sword-wielding fighter dressed for cold weather. While I agree that the skin color of at least some of the warriors ganging up with the blue Orlanth could be several shades darker, our heroine and her tone of skin have been established since the cover of RQ2.

We know that the Heortlings come in a number of skin tones. Some bear a stronger Helering ancestry, others share the same skin tone as the Pentan horse riders through Hyaloring ancestry, others may have different admixtures, even from western influences (e.g through Arkat's companions).

It appears that even under the new art direction some families like e.g. Fazzur's favor a western tone of skin (remember the series of portraits of Argrath's companions, with Annstad being real pale compared to e.g. Elusu).

Not that I mind but you sure this is where you wanted to post this?

“Fe Godwn ni eto”

”Yma o hyd”

”Cymru rydd”