Scout

Magic Worlds Questions

21 posts in this topic

What settings have you brought to life with MW?

What have you ported from other d100 games into your MW?

I would like to include cleric type spells, what could I port over to do this?

How are shields used in MW?

Thanks all.

This is a book I made for a religion supplement for ME.

Shields allow to roll a parry via skill with shield against melee attacks

7 hours ago, tooley1chris said:

This is a book I made for a religion supplement for ME.

Shields allow to roll a parry via skill with shield against melee attacks

Thank you tooley1chris

1 person likes this

I'm not very good at maths. 

1/5 of a number is the number divided by 5?

1/20 of a number is the number divided by 20?

4 hours ago, Scout said:

I'm not very good at maths. 

1/20 of a number is the number divided by 20?

You got it. Before long you'll have specials and criticals figured out in your head before the roll ;)

Page 15:

STR /2 for dodge don’t seem right. Wouldn't it make more sense under DEX /2? Would it break anything if I opted for DEX?

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Page 15:

STR /2 for dodge don’t seem right. Wouldn't it make more sense under DEX /2? Would it break anything if I opted for DEX?

Agreed. I home brewed it this way in my campaigns. Didn't break anything except poor heavy armor wearing tanks who get a penalty anyway. 

5 minutes ago, tooley1chris said:

Agreed. I home brewed it this way in my campaigns. Didn't break anything except poor heavy armor wearing tanks who get a penalty anyway. 

<heh>

Though arguably if you're wearing heavy armor, STR is actually more-relevant than DEX in moving all that mass at speed...  :D

I'd buy that. You could make it a versatile skill. Player chooses which stat gives Dodge a bonus. 

Think of the Mountain vs the Viper. :)

12 hours ago, Scout said:

To do this quickly, double the original number and place a decimal in the one's place.

For example. Skill 65%. Doubled is 130. Place decimal 13.0.

1/5 of 65 is 13.

2 people like this

On 08/08/2017 at 9:42 PM, Chaot said:

To do this quickly, double the original number and place a decimal in the one's place.

For example. Skill 65%. Doubled is 130. Place decimal 13.0.

1/5 of 65 is 13.

That's clever - thank you

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I want something akin to 'Feats' for my MW campaign (I'm the GM); it's an area I think d100 games could really benefit from. To that end I've found this game:

Sabre

It has something like 200 'Talents' in it and I'm slowly converting them over to Magic World. 

One thing though, what does Magic World use for an 'Acrobatics' skill?

Edited by Scout

I've not heard of that before. I'll have to take a look at that product. It sounds interesting.

I think if I wanted something like 'feats' in Magic World I'd look to Mythras and its Combat Maneuvres... or DCC and its Mighty Deeds mechanic. I'd kind of rather avoid a menu though... just encourage trying odd things and have some consistent way to adjudicating them.

1 hour ago, Simlasa said:

I think if I wanted something like 'feats' in Magic World I'd look to Mythras and its Combat Maneuvres... or DCC and its Mighty Deeds mechanic. I'd kind of rather avoid a menu though... just encourage trying odd things and have some consistent way to adjudicating them.

I've thought about this some myself. I think the arete system in Advanced sorcery lends itself well to some kind of "Mighty Deed of Arms" mechanic (in the spirit of DCC RPG) In practice this could be extended to the rule of 'halve your skill and try to do something cool' not specifically covered by the spot rules even for characters without combat skills in excess of 100.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I reckon Feats are easy, if you want a pulpy game.

Firstly, as a default rule, allow any character be able to attempt almost any cool maneuver by declaring that they need to make a Special Success with a relevant skill (occasionally a Critical Success, depending upon the action). This applies to everyone. Its kind of implied in most BRP rules anyway (CoC 7E is more explicit with this)

If you want to have a Feat system, you just describe whatever Feat you want  (or just come up with a narrative description related to the character concept).

Then any maneuvers relevant to the Feat/Concept are made at half skill% (instead of Crit or Spec%), at the cost of 1PP (representing luck or effort). Perhaps using 2PP reduces two degrees of difficulty, bringing this up to normal skill %.

That's a consistent mechanic to portray feats/stunts etc. 

Feats should rarely provide skill bonuses, otherwise there is no reason to advance in skills. However reducing difficulty modifiers in specific circumstances does the trick well.

Edited by Mankcam
bad grammar - I typed orignial post via my phone, and amended the grammar later on my PC
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

For example, a Feat called 'Trick Shot' might be used to decrease the difficulty modifiers with missile weapons for particular hard shots (ie trying to shoot thru cover, or trying to hit via ricochet, for example).

Edited by Mankcam
1 person likes this