Magic Worlds Questions

Scout

This is a book I made for a religion supplement for MW

Shields allow to roll a parry via skill with shield against melee attacks

Edited by tooley1chris

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

4 hours ago, Scout said:

I'm not very good at maths. 

1/5 of a number is the number divided by 5?

1/20 of a number is the number divided by 20?

You got it. Before long you'll have specials and criticals figured out in your head before the roll ;)

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

1 hour ago, Scout said:

Page 15:

STR /2 for dodge don’t seem right. Wouldn't it make more sense under DEX /2? Would it break anything if I opted for DEX?

Agreed. I home brewed it this way in my campaigns. Didn't break anything except poor heavy armor wearing tanks who get a penalty anyway. 

5 minutes ago, tooley1chris said:

Agreed. I home brewed it this way in my campaigns. Didn't break anything except poor heavy armor wearing tanks who get a penalty anyway. 

<heh>

Though arguably if you're wearing heavy armor, STR is actually more-relevant than DEX in moving all that mass at speed...  :D

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

12 hours ago, Scout said:

1/5 of a number is the number divided by 5?

To do this quickly, double the original number and place a decimal in the one's place.

For example. Skill 65%. Doubled is 130. Place decimal 13.0.

1/5 of 65 is 13.

• Like 4

70/420

I want something akin to 'Feats' for my MW campaign (I'm the GM); it's an area I think d100 games could really benefit from. To that end I've found this game:

Sabre

It has something like 200 'Talents' in it and I'm slowly converting them over to Magic World. 

One thing though, what does Magic World use for an 'Acrobatics' skill?

Edited by Scout

I think if I wanted something like 'feats' in Magic World I'd look to Mythras and its Combat Maneuvres... or DCC and its Mighty Deeds mechanic. I'd kind of rather avoid a menu though... just encourage trying odd things and have some consistent way to adjudicating them.

1 hour ago, Simlasa said:

I think if I wanted something like 'feats' in Magic World I'd look to Mythras and its Combat Maneuvres... or DCC and its Mighty Deeds mechanic. I'd kind of rather avoid a menu though... just encourage trying odd things and have some consistent way to adjudicating them.

I've thought about this some myself. I think the arete system in Advanced sorcery lends itself well to some kind of "Mighty Deed of Arms" mechanic (in the spirit of DCC RPG) In practice this could be extended to the rule of 'halve your skill and try to do something cool' not specifically covered by the spot rules even for characters without combat skills in excess of 100.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tobarstep said:

I've not heard of that before. I'll have to take a look at that product. It sounds interesting.

This may be of interest to you..

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?808382-The-Sabre-Rpg-(d100)

Say no to censorship

• "Did he say he was a Rune Lord or that he knew one?"
  • "Go, and never darken my towels again."
  • "Ach Crimmens! Ye smited me...ye craven. Worra, worra. What would me Mum say?"

I reckon Feats are easy, if you want a pulpy game.

Firstly, as a default rule, allow any character be able to attempt almost any cool maneuver by declaring that they need to make a Special Success with a relevant skill (occasionally a Critical Success, depending upon the action). This applies to everyone. Its kind of implied in most BRP rules anyway (CoC 7E is more explicit with this)

If you want to have a Feat system, you just describe whatever Feat you want  (or just come up with a narrative description related to the character concept).

Then any maneuvers relevant to the Feat/Concept are made at half skill% (instead of Crit or Spec%), at the cost of 1PP (representing luck or effort). Perhaps using 2PP reduces two degrees of difficulty, bringing this up to normal skill %.

That's a consistent mechanic to portray feats/stunts etc. 

Feats should rarely provide skill bonuses, otherwise there is no reason to advance in skills. However reducing difficulty modifiers in specific circumstances does the trick well.

Edited by Mankcam
bad grammar - I typed orignial post via my phone, and amended the grammar later on my PC
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

For example, a Feat called 'Trick Shot' might be used to decrease the difficulty modifiers with missile weapons for particular hard shots (ie trying to shoot thru cover, or trying to hit via ricochet, for example).

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2017 at 1:49 PM, Scout said:

Page 15:

STR /2 for dodge don’t seem right. Wouldn't it make more sense under DEX /2? Would it break anything if I opted for DEX?

Dodge is an interesting one. Since the base skill is Dex x2. So Dex has more impact on Dodge than Str anyway RAW.

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

On 10/08/2017 at 3:41 PM, Scout said:

I want something akin to 'Feats' for my MW campaign (I'm the GM); it's an area I think d100 games could really benefit from. To that end I've found this game:

Sabre

It has something like 200 'Talents' in it and I'm slowly converting them over to Magic World. 

One thing though, what does Magic World use for an 'Acrobatics' skill?

Craft (Tumble) would be MW's equivalent of Acrobatics

But (if I'm reading this correctly) the way that Acrobatics is used in Xd20 games in combat is to avoid attacks of opportunity and similar; so you'd probably use the Dodge skill

I've seen other attempts to graft Xd20 feats onto xd100 games. To me they go for a different approach or philosophy. Not wrong, just different

In d100 games anyone can try anything

In d20 games, characters have niches and roles and you must have specific skills to try specific things

(Interestingly the newest d20 game D&D5e goes the d100 route, many things which WERE feats can now be done by anyone i.e. anyone can finesse)

I do however agree that the current baseline is a bit clunky and unsatisfactory (the rules for aimed shots leap out to me in this light)

The three attempts which I think have been successful are:

PenDragon Pass had a lovely idea where if you wanted to do a stunt or feat you described it and then rolled against half the skill. Success is a critical and Failure is a fumble.

In RQ6/Mythras rolling a Special or Critical allows you to choose a stunt. I think that the authors gave us what we asked for rather than what we wanted by listing so many of them.

In RQ LoN Ki skills almost worked (I'm being superficial here) allow you to spend a magic point to achieve a Critical success but you then had to have an additional Ki-skill for each skill over 90%

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

4 hours ago, Al. said:

I do however agree that the current baseline is a bit clunky and unsatisfactory (the rules for aimed shots leap out to me in this light)

What don't you like about the aiming rules? An additional 7% to skill for each 5 dex ranks spent, IIRC... or do you mean 'called shots'... as in trying to hit a specific body location?

4 hours ago, Al. said:

Dodge is an interesting one. Since the base skill is Dex x2. So Dex has more impact on Dodge than Str anyway RAW.

This.

We had this debate back when Ben was revising Elric! to create Magic World. Dodge gets a BASE score directly derived from DEX, and is in a GROUP of skills that are improved by having a high Strength. DEX is by far the dominant factor in Dodge, but being strong is of benefit.

Its a BRP game - no one sub-system is so tightly couple to any other to make changes dangerous to the whole, so one can change things with relative impunity. But there WERE reasons for the various decisions.

Part of the point of Arete rules I devised for Advanced Sorcery was to provided "feat like" / "ki-skill" like abilities for characters with high skills. The original idea was to adapt the LoN ki-skills to be generic, but Ben's brief to me talked about "arete" in the Greek sense and that sent me off in a rather different direction (although the building blocks are an adaptation of some ideas from LoN).

But as another way of looking at the idea of "exceptional" abilities in Magic World, I'd say its worth a look - and the other material in Advanced Sorcery is a useful adjunct to the base Magic World game as well.

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 3