Cubicle 7 and Call of Cthulhu

MOB

As our friends at Cubicle 7 announced today, by mutual agreement with Chaosium, Cubicle 7's Call of Cthulhu license is winding up at the end of the year. Over the period of the license C7 produced top-notch Call of Cthulhu material, bringing the Mythos to the British Isles and WW2, winning a well-deserved slew of awards and critical acclaim. No doubt C7 will continue to delight fans in the new directions they are taking, and we wish the C7 team well!

https://www.chaosium.com/blog/call-of-cthulhu-and-cubicle-7/

2 hours ago, rsanford said:

I have been watching their Cold War books for a while but I just bought them all. I look forward to diving in!

Amen, I use their Cold War Cthulhu for  Delta Green. I'm reading American Cousins right now, great stuff!!! Love this series!

• Like 1

C7 has announced that they want to continue/reboot the respective game lines (Laundry Files, World War Cthulhu, Cthulhu Britannica) with some other rules system. It has been suggested they might do something similar to Delta Green by simply devising their own d100 system that would be closely compatible to CoC. It would feel strange, however - WWC is very close to what Chaosium is doing with CoC, anyway (and maybe that is one reason for terminating the license; with Chaosium becoming much more active, maybe they need to make sure that they are the ones who put out the products that are at the core of the CoC identiy). Having another d100 Cthulhu Mythos system next to CoC AND Delta Green that focuses on a strong integration of real world history/present and the Cthulhu Mythos just seems like one too much.

Personally, I'd love them to license Trail of Cthulhu, but that probably won't happen, and of course, there would be no compatibility ...

9 minutes ago, klecser said:

Harlem Unbound has both GUMSHOE and Basic rules.  I'm not sure I agree with "no compatibility."  Or are you referring to compatibility in a business-sense, rather than a game-sense?

I just meant in in a rules sense, as in "the stats in the books won't be usable for BRP games without some conversion hassle if they use Gumshoe". Of course, everything would still be compatible in a broader sense, expecially given the fact that actual Cthulhu games are usually played pretty rules-lite, in my experience.

EDIT: Anyway, I just noticed that Delta Green is OGL, so they could probably just build their own rulebook for their Cthulhu range out of that.

Edited by Jakob

6 minutes ago, Jakob said:

I just meant in in a rules sense, as in "the stats in the books won't be usable for BRP games without some conversion hassle if they use Gumshoe". Of course, everything would still be compatible in a broader sense, expecially given the fact that actual Cthulhu games are usually played pretty rules-lite, in my experience.

EDIT: Anyway, I just noticed that Delta Green is OGL, so they could probably just build their own rulebook for their Cthulhu range out of that.

Yeah, that's more my perspective.  Given that CoC is more setting and story driven, the amount of conversion is always minimal in my mind.

Agree that a version of BRP Delta Green OGL should be used. Minimal hassle to all, and still very much to the tastes of BRP GMs and players. Makes sense to do this.

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Personally, I hope they stick with something BRP(ish); whether that's CoC7ish or CoC1-6ish or DGish (or another flavor) ish less-important to me, because frankly I've never met a BRP* I didn't like.   :D

But honestly... I expect this is a launch into a new direction.  As noted above, there's a strong tradition to run CoC in a way that's heavy to the setting/fluff and low on the crunchy mechanics; so a ruleset more akin to HQ or Fate (or another more-narrative system) seems like it might be a better "fit" for the Mythos (tradition and backward-compatibilty notwithstanding).

<sigh>

:(

I feel like such a traitor ...  no no, wait... that's Paranoia.

* "BRP" in the sense of the broader family of related games from many publishers, not merely the (c)Chaosium ruleset of that name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig