BRP has arrived!

paladin3970

Alrighty!

Received my copy of BRP in the mail today.

Obviously it will take a little bit to even start to digest this but a couple of observations. Firstly, this is the dragon's trove of role playing info - I can tell I'm gonna like this. Second, REALLY wished this would have come in a hard cover. Seems to me that as much use as something like this might get, perfect bound softcover is kind of lacking in durability.

I would however hope to see a condensed version for players who do not necessarily need the whole book - something like the CoC quick start but more generic.

Overall though, I am really pleased with this purchase.

Yeah, I just got my copy today as well, and so far I feel like I've finally come home after a really long journey (I've been gaming for over 30 years and have been longing for a system like this). My only fear is that it won't be deservedly supported. How soon are we going to see supplemental material with more powers, spells, and whatnot I wonder...

I second the notion regarding a hardcover edition (at the very least). I think it deserves full-color art.

I dig it.

Edited by LivingTriskele

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

So.... what's the first game going to be?

y'know, I have actually been thinking about that while waiting for BRP to arrive. After running across Deadlands and Dogs in the Vineyard, I am actually leaning towards something set in the Old West. I am thinking about trying my hand at converting the GURPS Deadlands setting to BRP - seems that someone posted converting some GURPS magic stuff to BRP with minimal effort.

I agree with LivingTriskele regarding supporting materials. Seems to me that BRP is just simply elegant and it would be a shame if we went too long with out proper supporting materials.

What think is very keen for BRP is that a lot of the support material that is slated on its way is fan created (with help from Charlie and Dustin of course) so as long as Chaosium keeps the fans involved there will be supplements available.

Plus Im sure they have a few instore themselves. Im looking forward to Pulp Cthulhu and the Morocco book. Now Cthulhu is its own game, but it is BRP at heart and I imagine they will update all their books to go with BRP as the main book or reference.

Anyway, I believe BRP has along future ahead of it.

Now I would like to see some sort of customizable GM screen.

Why Chaosium designers haven't thought to introduce the "disadvantages" concept in the character's creation chapter? In all universal roleplaying games is the norm by now and enrich still more the character history. For the rest is a great system and the absence of the disadvantages' rule doesn't make it complete :ohwell:

Why Chaosium designers haven't thought to introduce the "disadvantages" concept in the character's creation chapter? In all universal roleplaying games is the norm by now and enrich still more the character history. For the rest is a great system and the absence of the disadvantages' rule doesn't make it complete :ohwell:

Someone before mentioned another BRP related system (Runemaster? or was it the SPQR?) having disads in it.

Id find some similar system with disads and just translatet them over. I also think the Pulp Cthulhu book coming out is having a similar thing added to it.

I'm one of those who is glad it doesn't have the whole advantage/disadvantage thing going on...

If I really wanted that I'd go play GURPS (which I like just fine... sometimes).

It's true in part because if we use BRP in a superhero setting (a modern one, not Superworld dated 1984!) how we explain, for example, the weakness of Kal' El to kryptonite or the pain that Venom suffer when he comes in contact with ultrasonics? These are disadvantages, these don't exist in the new edition of BRP and, at the same time, this system is very suitable for the superheroic genre due to its simplicity.

It's true in part because if we use BRP in a superhero setting (a modern one, not Superworld dated 1984!) how we explain, for example, the weakness of Kal' El to kryptonite or the pain that Venom suffer when he comes in contact with ultrasonics? These are disadvantages, these don't exist in the new edition of BRP and, at the same time, this system is very suitable for the superheroic genre due to its simplicity.

Actually cahracter failings and power modifiers can be found on pages 142-142 of the BRP book. THey are very generic and not very detailed, but the basis is there to start from.

Also read the ad blurp for Pulp Cthulhu about traits.

Chaosium.com: News - Pulp Reanimator

Speaking of support material, I downloaded the free BRP Character Generator 4.10, but after a quick glance was left with the impression that it's actually for RuneQuest (without a lot of the options BRP offers). Granted I haven't had a chance to mess around with it. Anyone know if there is, or will be a good character generator for BRP?

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

My private group of playtesters and the official playtest group were heavily opposed to such a system.

Advantages/Disadvantages of the sort you describe had never been a part of a BRP game previously, and as the BRP rulebook was intended to be a collected and consistent version of the existing BRP corpus, it made no sense to add such a system.

These are disadvantages, these don't exist in the new edition of BRP ...

Incorrect. Character Failings are described on pages 141-143.

My private group of playtesters and the official playtest group were heavily opposed to such a system.

Advantages/Disadvantages of the sort you describe had never been a part of a BRP game previously, and as the BRP rulebook was intended to be a collected and consistent version of the existing BRP corpus, it made no sense to add such a system.

Incorrect. Character Failings are described on pages 141-143.

I never cared for character advantages or disadvantages--assuming they were merely personality flaws--either. And to my knowledge, neither did anyone I played with. Everybody I played with managed to give their characters persistent personality flaws as a matter of course. And it was simply a matter of paying particular and persistent attention to how someone played their character. However, flaws and advantages that were physical, or beyond, were always interesting.

Personal opinion aside, I think the inclusion of an optional Advantage/Disadvantage system might help to make the system more attractive to people who appreciate such things.

~Albert Einstein~

It makes even more sense to include those in setting- or genre-specific books, though.

Is that the direction Chaosium plans on taking (genre-specific books and whatnot)? My biggest concern regarding BRP is that it ends up not getting the attention it deserves. I really hope they support this to the nines.

~Albert Einstein~

Absolutely.

It makes even more sense to include those in setting- or genre-specific books, though.

Ok, I'm agree with you. Then have you programmed a future reprint of Superworld, updated to 21st century? (in this monograph, as I've seen, advantages/disadvantages are permitted and, with the rules' support of BRP, is a very successful superheroic settings ) ;)

Edited by The Scarecrow

Is that the direction Chaosium plans on taking (genre-specific books and whatnot)?

I have no idea. I just wrote most of the core book, and am working on a sourcebook. I am unaware of the specifics on the master plan for the line. I suspect that it will evolve with the nature of submissions they receive, publish, and sell.

I really hope they support this to the nines.

As do I

As a reminder, though, Chaosium's release schedule is driven almost entirely by outside writers, so if there's something you really want to see, I encourage you to propose it to them.

Ok, I'm agree with you. Then have you programmed a future reprint of Superworld, updated to 21st century? (in this monograph, as I've seen, advantages/disadvantages are permitted and, with the rules' support of BRP, is a very successful superheroic settings ) ;)

I would love to see someone revisit Superworld, though I am not so sure that there's a huge market for a superhero game that's not Mutants & Masterminds or Champions.

Having worked on one of the less-successful attempts (Silver Age Sentinels), I have some idea of how hard a share of the market that is to succeed in.

I am not so sure that there's a huge market for a superhero game that's not Mutants & Masterminds or Champions.

I've looked at both of these games pretty extensively. They have dedicated followings but I think that a well-supported series of BRP superhero supplements could easily give them a run for their money. Champions (or rather Hero System) is simply too complex for a lot of people, not to mention that combat takes forever. M&M is solid and simpler than Champions (not to mention beautifully produced) but I have a vague recollection of encountering some arbitrary rule elements, like Strength being a factor in energy projection (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

~Albert Einstein~