BRP Conan

christopherhouse

I am working on a BRP Conan, if you are interested let me know I am getting information off of web sights and books. mostly REH books and Marvel Comics

Savage sword of Conan and Conan Saga. these is where I well also pull the images for the PDF. WITH A WIDE DESCLAIMER of not Copyright infrindgement

any Ideals or offering let me know,

I am also going to include Techniques my version of BRP skill FEATS. I HAVE POSTED THEM IN THE DOWN LOAD AREA for view and comments. when I AM DONE i WELL post the BRP conan there with the first part CHaracter Creation.

then the background. I well not have in the note book more then the basics so if you do not have the BRP then this well nto work for you.

again thank you and if you have any ideals please post!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Great

I am doing this the hard way and staying way from Mongoose Conan as much as I can, but thier is a great d20 sight on Hyboria on the web call

Hyboria d20 , and I am converting thier stuff to the BRP version.

dose anyone know if Chaosium every had the right to conan I use to have a freach version of Conan done with BRPS. but that drive died a horrible death and I have not been abile to find it sense.

<failed save vs lighting>

I am also going to include Techniques my version of BRP skill FEATS.

Just had a look at them. I've always been very sceptival to feats & legendary abilities, but I guess that's more due to my d&d-anti-ism than logic, and I'm starting to see that it could work if embedded as part of the setting. How would it work, is it a pure skill or ability thing, or is it a gift from the gods? How accessible would you make it? Who could learn this?

I actually ran a Conan campaign using Stormbringer rules a couple of years ago. I'll post some of that stuff to the download area when I'm home.

That would be nice too!

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

I had them post on the download, but its real basic" pun intended"

the Techniques have prereg's that require specific skill and percentage before learning them, then you have to learn them form some one just like normal training. this is more in the game master areana so if they don't want the palyer running around gaining a technique all the time they can make them rare or if they want more jazzed up game they can be learned by encountering them being used on them!

its still based on a successful skill use- so you still have to hit, doge or parry for them to fuction. no more no less then those requirments!

right now I just have basic thing that a skill can't not do as an out and out task , like combination- " the coupling of two techniques togather such as double dodge and double strike, well you have to have double dodge and double stike first! this also allows for such moves as Cleave.

but not meta game stuff like power attack.

I may have not accomplish it but its just added a few extra choice to a player - its not for power gaming there is nothing that going to help if you really out numbered or already injured

but I have only worked on combat oriented Techiques so far going to play test them first and see if they even fuction with out messing the game up or laying too much game on a player!

I was highly disappointed when I fond out Mongoose's Conan wasn't a RQ based game and was D20.

That was a bizarre one.

The original game was done before they did MRQ, but after the publication of MRQ, they hinted on their forums that they were doing a MRQ version.

I spoke with Vincent Darlage, who'd even begun work on it. Then they made some announcement that they weren't doing it.

I swear they act like they are the only reason for the industry!

I think we oold timers and die hards of percentage should be reconized by the market share that we are a contending Market!

if BRP out sold 4E some one some where might clue in on what is marketible

plus I wish I could kNow hwo well RQ fars agienst d20, most likly not so good, or is it?

but here is where we get to strike back! buy BRP , BUY IT FOR YOU D20 FRIENDS BUY IT FOR YOUR SIX YEAR OLD TO COLOR IN-<LOL>

Buy it for your warhammer buddies and Wow GUILD MEMBERS!

and when you get evicted because you can not make rent because you went and bought all those bloody books! go and buy a few to your homeless shelter roomates!

because all these guys can see< silly buisness people> is profets and shares !

hey Jason thanks for the notes!

but now that brp is out i list these as occupations - sense to me Barbarian is not really an occupation, see what you thin and others !

Professions

Assassin

Athlete

Beggar

Craftsman

Entertainer

Explorer

Farmer

Gambler

Hunter

Laborer

Merchant

Noble

Occultist

Pirate

Priest

Sailor

Scholar

Servant

Shaman

Slave

Soldier

Spy

Student

Teacher

Thief

Tribesman

Warrior

any objections or imput, any ideals> ?

NO WIZARDS ARE NOT PROHIBITED

I like the concept that magic is a tool not a occupation

so priest shamans and scholers all can have magic , i AM TRYING TO FIGURE A MAGIC system that is more skill based then extra ability!

I am digesting some ideals right now . . . here are a few

sorcery is a skill

each percentage point of ten is a spell/technique< there sneaking thoses technique > when a person /player character chooses sorcery they choose a style under whitch style( i well list powers< this way i can take from powers psionics and spells, and list them under a style of sorcery.) a player character can always trade in a technique for a new style but like thier first style they still have to learn its techniques / spells.

example players character has sorcery at 50 and they have Divination as a style and they have learned four techniques/spells and the Player character want to take up Conjuration< i am just throwing names out thier I have not made the styles up yet> they can forfeat a technique to take up a new style conjuration < if they have material on it or a master or teacher to help them, in game play> and they can now learn five conjuration techniques or spells because thier sorcery is 50 , well they can learn up to 5 <sorcery 50/10=5>

now they still need to learn the techniques and they can raise thier sorcery to 60 or when they get to 5th technique/spell they can go find another teacher for another style. this give in game motivation and a game master controls the amount of spells they player can get in game.

not as a mechanic soly because that is thier slots!

Now magic points - I THINK POWER should be the score used for the maxium amount of energy you can channel at one time!

depending on the amount you channel determines the amount of fatigue you lose and hitpoint you can take and sanity it may cost you!

for example

amount channeled fatigue a rd sanity hitpoints time

1/4rd power 1 0 0 2 rds

1/2 power 2 1 0 4 rds

3/4th power 3 1d2 0 6rds

max 4 1d3 1 8rds

+1 5 1d4 2 10rds

+2 6 1d6 3 12rds

+3 7 1d8 4 14rds

typical sanity Checks are made and a sorcery skill check is made verse Channeling <how much power is in the are to tap into. > the more the harder to make it, if a failed channeling roll is a fumble then the sorcerier may not attempt again for 1d4 rounds. if it Critical fumble then its thier power verse the amount of the power channeled resistent roll failure is as if they did channel the power and could not direct it into a spell/technique and still suffer the effects of fatque sanity hitpoints and time!

this is real rough guys I know

did any one get it?

what is your oppinion?

too difficult?

or not right for Conan?

I was highly disappointed when I fond out Mongoose's Conan wasn't a RQ based game and was D20. Same for Starship Troopers. No excuse Mongoose!!!!

I agree...hence the reason I haven't purchased either of those games (although the movie-esque theme of Starship Troopers makes me wretch thinking about it...shudder).

Has anyone else had the following idea: Take the following settings and offset them by time/world...

Stormbringer AKA the First World

Hyborean AKA the Second World

Middle Earth AKA the Third World

Warhammer AKA the Fourth World

our own history...the Fifth World

near future...add a catastrophe = the Sixth World

Granted, each of the first four is a self contained "setting" all on it's own with approximately 10,000 years of history...and each ends with a catastrophe (Ice Ages, Super Volcanoes, Asteroids....Great Old Ones >:-> ) thus you could import/export/explore different settings and conventions a bit easier...

:focus:

Anyway, the more Hyborean goodness I can get, the happier I am...it all goes into the Cthulhu Mythos Smelting Pot O'Evil.

any objections or imput, any ideals> ?

Too many, some overlap, some are irrelevant.

What's the difference between Slave and Servant and Labourer? Or Tribesman and Warrior? Or Sailor and Pirate? Or Hunter and Explorer? Or Teacher and Scholar? Basically the same to me.

Also I think playing a student or teacher might well suck. This is Hyboria, not Miskatonic U.

And you are missing Whore/Serving Wench/Doxie. I'm assuming Shaman covers Witch as well?

In my proposed BRP Conan which I'll never write I was going to lift the cultural bonuses straight out RQ3 to represent the different nations/races.

Adam Crossingham
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief | Sixtystone Press Limited

I agree...hence the reason I haven't purchased either of those games (although the movie-esque theme of Starship Troopers makes me wretch thinking about it...shudder).

Has anyone else had the following idea: Take the following settings and offset them by time/world...

Stormbringer AKA the First World

Hyborean AKA the Second World

Middle Earth AKA the Third World

Warhammer AKA the Fourth World

our own history...the Fifth World

near future...add a catastrophe = the Sixth World

Granted, each of the first four is a self contained "setting" all on it's own with approximately 10,000 years of history...and each ends with a catastrophe (Ice Ages, Super Volcanoes, Asteroids....Great Old Ones >:-> ) thus you could import/export/explore different settings and conventions a bit easier...

:focus:

Anyway, the more Hyborean goodness I can get, the happier I am...it all goes into the Cthulhu Mythos Smelting Pot O'Evil.

Well, kind of. I use more of a parallel world approach, and ditch Middle Earth

and Warhammer, but add Newhon, Sanctuary/Ranke, and others.

Besides, Elric made an official trip to Hyboria once :)

-V

• 7 months later...

FYI there was also a GURPS Conan supplement. Unfortunately it's OOP because even if you don't use GURPS many of the supplements are pretty good for ideas and information.

GURPS Conan

When I checked for Conan RPGs and saw the char sheet of Mongoose Conan I quickly pressed alt + F4. I didn't know it was a d20 based system :shocked: and god those sheets look impossible! :eek:

Edited by Vorax Transtellaris
RPGbericht (Dutch)

dose anyone know if Chaosium every had the right to conan

No, they never did. TSR and SJ had them.

I use to have a freach version of Conan done with BRPS. but that drive died a horrible death and I have not been abile to find it sense.

It’s still available here:

RUNE - Rolistes Unis sous un Nouvel Embleme

I am also going to include Techniques my version of BRP skill FEATS.

Feats suck. They are actually the worst thing in Conan D20. Forget about them.

I was highly disappointed when I fond out Mongoose's Conan wasn't a RQ based game and was D20.

They produced good material for the setting anyway, whatever system you are using.

The original game was done before they did MRQ, but after the publication of MRQ, they hinted on their forums that they were doing a MRQ version. I spoke with Vincent Darlage, who'd even begun work on it. Then they made some announcement that they weren't doing it.

Indeed, Vincent has finished the book but it seems Mongoose doesn’t have any plans to publish it.

He toyed with the idea of printing and selling it via lulu or other internet printers, but it’s been a while since we had any fresh news. I know Mongoose is planning an independent Conan release through Flaming Cobra, but it looks like a more a collection of settings and adventures than the long awaited MRQ Conan.

Mongoose seems quite satisfied with the sales of Conan D20 and it seems they’ll keep going in that direction for at least the next two years, even if they gave up D20 for most of their lines, like Slaine which went MRQ and Judge Dredd which is about to get a new Traveller version.

Or maybe they got frightened by the pressure of some of the hard time D20 suckers from the mongoose forum who threatened Mongoose they would never buy a non D20 conan book…

How sad…

I swear they act like they are the only reason for the industry!

I don’t blame them for wanting to make some money out of their books. Actually, when you’re a publisher, things are quite simple: If you don’t sell your books, you stop printing them, or you’ll be waiting in the unemployment line in no time. And we poor players wouldn’t have new books anymore…

And if you want to make huge profits, you don’t print RPGs at all…

Besides, Elric made an official trip to Hyboria once

I still have the original Smith’s CTB buried somewhere, but I seem to remember that it’s Conan that goes into Elric’s world to fight Xiombarg along with the albino and not the contrary. But my memory may fail me (old age’s ransom…).

... and Kane visited the Young Kingdoms.

Didn’t read this one! Who published this?

Along with the GURPS version, TSR did some stuff for Conan in the eighties.

There have been three hyborian modules for AD&D, CB1 Conan Unchained, CB2 Conan Against Darkness, RS1 Red Sonja Unconquered. Of the three, only CB1 is really good, the others being pretty much crappy…

TSR also printed a Conan RPG back in 85. It contained some real nice ideas and a straightforward system, but the rules were pretty unfinished as they were. Three adventures were published for the game CN1 Conan The Buccaneer, CN2 Conan The Mercenary, CN3 Conan Triumphant. The first two are quite uninteresting dungeon crawls, but CN3 is an adaptation of Robert Jordan eponym novel and is quite playable.

The original system is still available on the net, check it here:

ZeFRS : Introduction

When I checked for Conan RPGs and saw the char sheet of Mongoose Conan I quickly pressed alt + F4. I didn't know it was a d20 based system and god those sheets look impossible!

We have to act in a more responsible way than the average D20 fanboy and give up our prejudices. Conan Mongoose proposes a real nice range of books, most being rather devoid of ‘crunch’. Actually, only a few of their books are really D20 oriented with loads of Feats, Prestige Classes, silly rules and all. Most of them focus on Hyborian Age background and are really worth the buy.

If people around here are interested, I could post a list of all Conan Mongoose products with a capsule review for each one.

I’ll also try to put my BRP notes in form and post my own version of Conan BRP. I’ll be interested by your advices and feedback.

Edited by Hervé

I talk to planets, baby.

It was mainly the impossible appearance of the character sheets that made me go alt + F4, not necessarilly the d20-system. I'm not even knowledgable enough about d20 to have a clear opinion about it. Let's say the sheet doesn't look to me as if the system makes for smooth play during combat situations. I also got the impression it works with character levels, which IMHO have to be one of the silliest inventions in roleplaying ever.

Anyway, a BRP version of Conan would be very nice for mixing it with Call of Cthulhu so bring it on! :thumb:

RPGbericht (Dutch)

... and Kane visited the Young Kingdoms.

Didn’t read this one! Who published this?

"The Gothic Touch" first appeared in one of the White Wolf Eternal Champion books - Tales of the White Wolf, If I remember correctly. It was reprinted in Exorcisms and Ecstasies and The Midnight Sun.

Of these, the cheapest is likely to be the WW anthology, as the latter two are extremely rare and out of print.

I don't know if I'd consider it to be worth spending a lot tracking down... the story is pretty slight.