What price for Dune?

TrippyHippy

So, if a giant steps on a shielded Arrakisian warrior,

a)  the giant squishes the warrior

b) the giant shoves the warrior and his shield into a newly created depression in the earth

c)  it doesn't matter since a skyscraper-sized sand worm immediately swallows them both

39 minutes ago, seneschal said:

b) the giant shoves the warrior and his shield into a newly created depression in the earth

c)  it doesn't matter since a skyscraper-sized sand worm immediately swallows them both

Depends on how fast, slow enough, and it could get through the shield.

55 minutes ago, seneschal said:

I think enough pressure may be able to break shields but I'm not sure. If not option b would probably be more likely unless the giant was moving really slowly which would just give the warrior time to run away.

14 hours ago, jeffjerwin said:

In medieval legend (and in Italian dialects even today), Orc[h]i meant a kind of wild man or satyr.

And in the southern Alps, especially in Tyrol, an Ork is a kind of mountain spirit.

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

On 8/8/2018 at 10:54 AM, Atgxtg said:

(snip)

Not quite. There is the sword Orcist. Tolkien already had his Elvish languages, inclduing the word "orc". He just decided yo go with something more well known "goblin" as the  Hobbit was a Children's book. Goblin is also a bit more of a "G-rated" monster, having been toned down over the years. 

He already had orcs worked up in his notes , that became  the Silmarillion. He even notes that Man-Orc and Elf are really all the same species (that's why they can interbreed). You basically have Man, man in a "state of grace" and man that has been corrupted).  Much like how Trolls in LOTR are corrupted (Gi)Ents). But Orc and goblin in Tolkien are interchangeable, at least initially.  The same is probably true with his Half-Orcs and his HobGoblins. It gets more cofusing with the interbreeding and the ability of Maiar (supermnatural spirits) to take a physical form.

But most of the humanoid monsters in LOTR are really just a mix of man, (gi)ent,  embodied spirit (maiar) , and divine grace or corruption.  

Actually, given Tolkien's education, I'm fairly sure that "orc" comes from the Latin source because it made it into Old English as orcþyrs, orcneas and Old English is just one of the sources Tolkien mentioned.  In fact one word origin source comments that it was revived by Tolkien's writings after being discarded.  Interesting point on the use of "goblin" in The Hobbit, from the timeframe of when it was published and when I first read it in 1967-68ish.  I had some idea of what a goblin was, but would have been totally clueless about what an orc was.

As for Tolkien's notes....yes, we can read some of the alternates that he wrote, discarded, revised, reused, etc., but they are a mess and apparently not totally explored.  Remember that Christopher gave us an edited version that usually chose among multiple written versions by J.R.R.  I'm actually not sure that anyone has actually finished going through all of his linguistic, let alone the literar,y notes.

I was skipping the Christian nature of Tolkien's work for this discussion, but yes, to be complete it has to be acknowledged. as does the fact that it is more Roman Catholic that Protestant in its point of view.

17 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

Ooh, I'm excited, Modiphius has done a good job with their current licenses.

I agree, I playtested a couple of their games and I liked what they did with them. 

What is interesting to me is that GF9 is apparently trying to develop a tabletop wargame for Dune, which would probably be a lot of fun or a botch job.  I'd say they need to stick to pre-Paul (or pre-spice awakened Paul) for the timeline, otherwise you get weirding way trained Fremen splattering everyone OR wimped out Fremen.  For example, a platoon of IG will slaughter a squad of SM in 40k tabletop, but a squad of SM will slaughter a platoon of IG in lore and the RPG.  The reason for the tabletop problem is for "balance" and if SM were actually that tough, then GW couldn't sell as many minis for SM because lore accurate Marines would cost vastly more than they do.

• 3 months later...
On 12/13/2018 at 6:15 AM, Kloster said:

Lyonesse has an official RPG, published in french by swiss company "Men in Cheese". I don't know if their license is still valid.

Kloster

I don't believe that publisher still operates; I think that should be, "Lyonesse had an official RPG..."

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 11 months later...