Vermin!

Darius West

I was scratching my head about this.  What counts as vermin in Glorantha, i.e. what fills the role of rats, mice, cockroaches, pantry moths, ants, weevils, moles, gophers, and other assorted pests (yes, I mean apart from Ducks and trollkin)?  I ask this because apart from things like rubble runners there isn't a lot of vermin style species, and while we can assume that there are smaller versions of Gorakiki's immense troll insects, you just don't hear about annoying small furry mammals and pest species of bugs, and other swarmers.  Now admittedly the rules normally devote themselves to critters that can actually inflict reasonable damage, but swarms can.  I am also interested if people think there are stray dogs and cats in Gloranthan urban areas that feed on the vermin and human scraps?

These pests do exist, in sizes we would recognize as normal, too.

You don't hear much about them because it isn't very heroic to fight single-hit-kill small beasts, unless you happen to be a feline predator only a few times their size.

The existence of trash pandas in Peloria is well established, and they will have infiltrated the civilized lands around Vanch, both human and furred thieves.

Stray dogs in poor urban environments are a type of food, and cats had better be wary, too. There will be rat-catchers.

Feeding on scraps is a role for the urban pigs. These omnivores reduce the food options for vermin quite a bit. (Trollkin are another such option.) Urban fowl will take an interest in wiggly stuff.

Small furry beasts have to face alynxes, snakes of all calibres, and probably ferret-like exterminators, too. There is a good reason why the Rubble Runners gained size and ferocity.

Some small furry beasts will have become more or less domesticated, like guinea pigs or Polynesian rats, and serve as poor folk's meat.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

There are rats and mice, because Orlanthi use Shadowcats to keep grain stores free of them.

Trolls have giant ants and cockroaches, so there could well be smaller versions.

Gophers exist in Pent, the Gord'Un are Gopher Hsunchen.

Weevils were associated with the navy, but Gloranthan navies are not very well formed. perhaps they are waiting for more ships to take to the waters.

I can't think of any evidence for moles, but why not? I can see a PC on a chair with a crossbow, Jasper Carrott-style, waiting for a mole to appear one night.

RQ3 had Insect Swarms, so presumably RQG has the same. I haven't checked the Bestiary in detail yet.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

8 minutes ago, The God Learner said:

I have heard rumours of Rodents of Unusual Size. 

ROUSes, I don't think they actually exist.

Sadly, on a related note William Goldman passed away yesterday.

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Sad 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

16 minutes ago, The God Learner said:

What a pity, and what a coincidence. Apart from his movies he also wrote a number of books on Hollywood that I thoroughly enjoyed. 

Looking at his Wikipedia Page, he wrote an awful lot of good stuff, outside of his films. Anyone who could write the book and screenplay for both Marathon Man and Princess Bride deserves a lot of praise.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

The Bat Hsunchen might fit your proposal well, and at least some of them like the vampire bat variety fit the description of vermin.

There are a few rodent hsunchen - the gopher pygmies of northern Pent, and the beaver folk of Ralios, and porcupines in Fronela and Teshnos. These seem to be the lower edge of the size range that produces hsunchen humanoids (although the above-mentioned bat hsunchen may undercut this significantly).

The non-Hsunchen Siwafu army ant people are possibly another form of vermin folk, but living in the Errinoru jungle, they are unlikely to thrive in cities.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

26 minutes ago, womble said:

Are there any equivalents in Glorantha of the "D'ivers" from Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series? Basically, shapeshifters whose shifted shape is a 'swarm' of (usually) small creatures.

The Siwafu (Guide p544) who can transform themselves into Army Ants.