Guide To Glorantha - A new printing with new art?

Paid a bod yn dwp

I wondered whether Chaosium might entertain a new printing of the Guide to Glortantha updated with some of the wonderful new art we've seen from the RuneQuest line, and other new products such as the Gloranthan sourcebook?  There's some cool images in the Guide to Glorantha for sure,  but I feel with the new art in products such as RuneQuest, there's an even stronger presentation & feel and for the setting.

I imagine that many Gloranthan fans have already bought their hardcopies, but perhaps some may be persuaded to look again with a new presentation, and maybe new Gloranthan fans maybe persuaded to invest with an even richer presentation? The new Chaosium books have been so well done, and I think it would pay (at least artistically) to revisit the guide at some point with the library of new artwork now at hand.

Are you speaking of the big 2-volume set? If so, I don't know about that... that's kind of pricey just for new art and not new content. As I understand it, the GoG was supposed to be the be-all-and-end-all of what Glorantha is and is not.

If so, I thought there was a lot of new art in it. Especially art with a newer direction than previously [the artwork depicting the various peoples for example]. Maybe it was new to me or something. This isn't to say that there isn't some extraordinary art coming out lately, there absolutely is.

Were I to suggest something, I would like to see some more art depict the gear of the various societies. In the RQG main rules I really enjoyed the Heortling artwork showing Farmer, Thane, Noble, Rune Lord, and Priest and I'd like to see some depictions of Esrolians, Dara Happans/Pelorians, Praxians, etc.

Yes the big two volume edition.

I’m sure it’s a tall ask for those with the guide already, but to me it seems like the ultimate coffee table book and worth a revisit at some point. There is some excellent art in there, and they did a great job at the time , but what Chaosium are producing now has stepped up a notch or two. 

Maybe in a year or two when the library of art work for Glornatha is even greater perhaps a new edtion of the GTG would be more tenable? I just feel that the artists they’re using now are really producing a consistent and very powerful presentation of Gloranatha that appeals to me much more. I still have favourites from the GTG (the Red godess depictions for instance). 

I'll grant you that the Guide is definitely a tome. Digging that SOB out to reference can be a chore when you're trying not to tear the dustcover, etc.

As to a new edition of the same material, I'd rather prefer to get a glimpse of what Glorantha looks like after the fall of the Red Moon. I mean, what does Dragon Pass look like after Heortling culture is nearly exterminated and Orlanth only survives by the skin of his teeth?

But more art, especially more GOOD art, is always welcome. Maybe a Visions of Dragon Pass book with juried and authorized art and illustrations. You know, now that I think of it, a couple of books of art that depict the scenes from the travels of Biturian Varosh and Paulus Longvale could be good.

58 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

If we ever substantially revise the Guide to Glorantha it will be to make it a 4 book set of 8.5" x 11" books of about 256 pages each.

Easier on my back , not so good for killing zombies with a head hit in the real world.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

6 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

If we ever substantially revise the Guide to Glorantha it will be to make it a 4 book set of 8.5" x 11" books of about 256 pages each.

Thanks for the info. I’d be interested in a revision at some point when time allows, though as others have said, new stuff is priority. Though maybe new Chaosium could do both? :)  Keep up the good work 👍

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rather than a GtG v.2, how about just an art-book; possibly done in a manner to supplement the existing Guide...  e.g. a Dragonewt pic with caption not only describing the specific scene, but page-numbers in theGtG (and maybe the Bestiary).

C'es ne pas un .sig

13 hours ago, g33k said:

Rather than a GtG v.2, how about just an art-book; possibly done in a manner to supplement the existing Guide...  e.g. a Dragonewt pic with caption not only describing the specific scene, but page-numbers in theGtG (and maybe the Bestiary).

The scenes are described for the most part in the GtG, in the grey boxed text on either the same page or the adjoining page.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

2 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

The scenes are described for the most part in the GtG, in the grey boxed text on either the same page or the adjoining page.

Oh, yeah, I know!

I was just suggesting, per the OP sentiment of "new ed of the GtG with some of the amazing new art" that maybe the new art (and maybe some of the old) might be instead be collected in an "Art of Glorantha" book.

My suggestions for captions (or an endchapter, as I see in art-books often) Xref'ing the text in other books would be in regards to NOT making it a new printing of the Guide, but fundamentally an art-book, very text-lite.

Querying the OP/community if such a book might suit the request, might have a market... I presume most of the audience would ALREADY own all the art in the extant books, after all!

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 minutes ago, g33k said:

Oh, yeah, I know!

I was just suggesting, per the OP sentiment of "new ed of the GtG with some of the amazing new art" that maybe the new art (and maybe some of the old) might be instead be collected in an "Art of Glorantha" book.

My suggestions for captions (or an endchapter, as I see in art-books often) Xref'ing the text in other books would be in regards to NOT making it a new printing of the Guide, but fundamentally an art-book, very text-lite.

Querying the OP/community if such a book might suit the request, might have a market... I presume most of the audience would ALREADY own all the art in the extant books, after all!

I tend to disagree about the "very text-lite" bit, and would prefer to have such illustrations with at least fragmentary prose detailing heroic moments or mythical events, in the style of Biturian, Paulis or Vasana at least, or in King of Dragon Pass/Six Ages style.

Getting a KoDP/6A art-book (or several) would be a good project, too. Rather than through the in-game multiple choice, many of those stories could be narrated in one of the possible resolutions (although I have no idea whether I would choose the Triceratops Miltary Charge over the Triceratops Plow Team illustration if these were to be in one definitive story, and probably the same for many other such stories). Getting that Tusk Rider returnee saga in full, or the side sagas like the Grazer exiles, could be a good way to make Glorantha alive to a non-gaming public.

Telling how it is excessive verbis