Dragon Pass Pastimes

So, hows about a thread about pastimes in the Pass? Any topic,, jokes, games, grognardy or newbie friendly or just plain friendly in general. No wrong answers, just keep the arguments to one page or so and have them be... friendly. Kinda like canada, eh? Anyway todays credit and banana plated no-prize goes to Joerg. (ah man, I am sorry, I did not mean it, really. Please...)... ah c'mon man, let it go...

37 minutes ago, Joerg said:

There are other legitimate ways to beat the shit out of people related to you that you don't like very much - e.g. invite them and their friends to a "friendly" game of stick ball, aka full contact golf, as suggested by Roderick Robertson on the digest 25 years ago.

I suppose there is always a nice civilized game of trollball, eh...

digest from 25 years ago

Shinty (Full Contact/Combat Golf)

That sounds like a heck of a lot of fun worth a follow down the rabbit hole by clicking on it..., You know,  I played Lacrosse when I was a kid, and this sounds kinda like it...

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

So, a Sartarite vet of Argrath's liberation walks into the fallen on hard times but still open Lunar Embassy in Pavis. A clerk approaches in threadbare tattered robes of office, and weakly coughs and says what can I do for you.

I would like to speak to Tacitus the Bright, says the vet quite loudly.

The clerk again coughs and says. Tacitus the Bright, May the Goddess ever shine upon him.... is dead May I serve in some other way?... and his voice trails off wearily...

No that is fine says the vet, hey how's about my old buddy the sorcerous ol' Tacitus...?

I have already <cough> told you of his demise, now anything else before I have you run off you raggedy funny barbaric man.

He's dead?

He's Dead,

The vet turns and begins to walk away... 'and the clerk calls after him. You have come in here and ruined my day, by repeatedly asking the same question, Why? Why? You do not look addled, or appear to be deaf from the wars, Why do you have me repeat Tacitus is dead again and again? 

The vet without turning around says

I just can't hear it enough.

From John Hughs excellent page from years ago, Anyone know which great old one to attribute this joke to?

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

So, hows about a thread about pastimes in the Pass? Any topic,, jokes, games, grognardy or newbie friendly or just plain friendly in general. No wrong answers, just keep the arguments to one page or so and have them be... friendly. Kinda like canada, eh? Anyway todays credit and banana plated no-prize goes to Joerg. (ah man, I am sorry, I did not mean it, really. Please...)... ah c'mon man, let it go...

Sure, How about a friendly match with rubber foam LARP swords? With helmets, no stabbing, no magic, no audience support (aka water bombs), "blade" length and number your choice, otherwise pretty much as you like it. (Did I mention that I am more than six foot five?)

I suppose there is always a nice civilized game of trollball, eh...

You need giant referees for that. (My usual role in these games...)

digest from 25 years ago

That sounds like a heck of a lot of fun worth a follow down the rabbit hole by clicking on it..., You know,  I played Lacrosse when I was a kid, and this sounds kinda like it...

But without penalties for when your club happens to interact with other players.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

The Trolls in our RQ2 campaign used to play Duck Golf. You take a Duck, a Troll and a Troll Maul to the top of a hill and see how far the Duck flies ...

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

44 minutes ago, soltakss said:

The Trolls in our RQ2 campaign used to play Duck Golf. You take a Duck, a Troll and a Troll Maul to the top of a hill and see how far the Duck flies ...

but. but, but, ducks can't fly....

FOUR. thwack.... <QUACK!>

ohh... poor duck. :(

Edited by Bill the barbarian

Q:  How many Humakti does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: None -- the bulb has died, and death must not be denied.

Q: How many Storm Bull berserks does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: It glows without magic or fire? KILL CHAOS!!!!!!!

Q: How many Chalana Arroy Healers does it take to screw in  a light bulb?
A: One -- but you'll have to donate half your immediate income to the Hospital, and 10% of your earnings for the next year.

Q: How many Illuminates does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: How many light bulbs does it take to screw in an Illuminate?

Q: How many Broo does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: One -- a Broo can screw *anything*.

Q: How many Trollkin does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: (Crunch, gobble, munch) What light bulb, Master?

Q: How many Lunars does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: Twenty-three. Three Lunar spies to gather information about the bulb, nineteen priests and officials set up in an Imperially-mandated committee to analyze the findings and publish a report, and one hired barbarian mercenary to carry out their recommendations.

http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/ndaily/1993.08/1435.html by way of Google

• Haha 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Just had a thought, in Heortling areas there is a sliding scale of literacy and oral tradition. Most Heortling folk groups of size in the Pass seem to have a few private libraries (at least one) and LM temples. But an Orlanthi all seem to have most learning passed down orally. Seems to me that listing games would be popular, for fun, learning by rote, and to crush your opponents and to hear the lamentations of their women folk (HEY, Conan the Librarian, simmer down over there. )... The Learned and law speakers upon meeting might engage in a harmless if of good nature or friends battle, or meaningful if rivals, frenemies, enemies gets a bit more heated—listings of their knowledge either over beers, ritual first meetings ceremonial,  verbal joustings in court or... The stakes could be a beer or 

Diplomats or skalds would certainly have list battles lines of kings, princessess, family trees, or other such lore. Why leave the farmers out who will list lores of dates to plant barley (and amongst the old, grognardly, and unemployed whilst sitting in Greydog Inn) the various different names of said barley and their etymology. Who the previous owners and all who have dwelled in the haunted tower three hills and a valley over and speculations in their whereabouts now... back three generations might be another style of list battle though our modern ears would hear an evening of campfire spooky tales. The arena for this battle would have to be anywhere a few drinkers could meet for an evenings tilt (and of course... a fire even if in a hearth).

Just speculation.

Just read the above and it does not quite explains how memorizing stuff is a game and how it works A listing game would be a battle of endurance to see who knows more, and longer, points could be awarded possibly for more obscure lore (seeing as this is judged un-objectivly by the audience at hand points are awarded by what pleases this audience and this could range as widely as could the audience itself) The points mentioned are pointless really, the audience decides who wins and remember they might also be drinking.The person with the greatest knowlede (often judged by peers so definitely it's unfair and very subjective, sucks to be you) as the audience sees it, wins. No real rules that tare universal, you could trip up not knowing a regional point of order. 

A good modern example for sheer bloodthirstiness and devotedness in is its participants and audience. is spelling bees :) They are not quite as loosely umpired or run, though.

I could see Heortlings playing the theoretical ur-football. Everyone from bloodline x tries to kick a ball into the doors of the main longhouse of bloodline y and vice versa. Can scale down to families or up for the once a year match against another clan.

Fishing and hunting competitions, both informal personal challenges and occasional fishing derbies and of course the Great Hunt.

Annual fairs on Ernalda Holy Days including competitions for growing the biggest and best veggies, prize livestock, best pottery, baking contests, beauty contests, dance and singing competitions.

The Orlanth fair would include feats of strength like caber tossing, running, riding, jumping, climbing, archery or javelin throw, wrestling and sparring, plus an poetry recitation (traditional and new) and a storytelling contest (Orate).

Sacred time dances and songs are very important to get right so getting together to practice them would be popular. Practices could be small events (just family) or could be part of general hoedowns for bloodlines.

Barnraisings are fun for all and end up with a frame for a new barn or longhouse.

Anything that is a cultural skill probably has a “play” version.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RHW said:

and of course the Great Hunt.

Dp you feel the great hunt in Dragon Pass would be the thing it is say Balazar?

23 minutes ago, RHW said:

Sacred time dances and songs are very important to get right so getting together to practice them would be popular. Practices could be small events (just family) or could be part of general hoedowns for bloodlines.

There is a thread here in BRP Central about planning sacred time that makes it sound like passion plays and christmas pageants on the blue marble and the amount of work these entail. To think of it being fun makes me wonder... though to a bystander who is not in anyway involved just watching the farcical nature of the planning followed closely by the ceremonies execution (the poor sheep that goes the wrong way, the little Orlanth that just could not hold it anymore... (aww) could entertain the communities teens and the Eurmali immensely. No that is mean, I am sure there are teen romances that blossom into the real things that begin at these practices. Not to mention community bonding.

It all sounds pretty cool. Thanx.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RHW said:

I could see Heortlings playing the theoretical ur-football. Everyone from bloodline x tries to kick a ball into the doors of the main longhouse of bloodline y and vice versa. Can scale down to families or up for the once a year match against another clan.

I want to play this, it sounds like madness...

I feel I have to mention... snooker.

Snooker is one of—if not the—oldest published Gloranthan pastimes, dating back to Apple Lane (1978). There are those who would argue that snooker is an absurdity that has no place in Glorantha. They are, of course, entirely wrong. Quackjohn certainly thinks so, as I suspect he (Snooker 85%) spends a lot of his time hustling poor Gringle (Snooker 50%). And the image of ducks trying to reach up to lean over the table is immensely funny (albeit not to ducks, who take the game very seriously).

Mind you, I suspect Gloranthan snooker can be quite different in certain aspects. Sure, you'll have your finest elfwood cue and magical chalk gained from sacrificing to Chalk Man. But the balls will reflect the celestial orbs of the sun, moons and other planets. The Red Moon will be heavily represented, but will have black and red hemispheres and various restrictions on which sides you can hit when.

And there will be innumerable and tedious arguments over which deities the yellow ball(s) represent and how many points they're worth.

At least two of the pockets will represent the Gates of Dawn and Dusk. There may be one in the middle for Magasta's Whirlpool and corner pockets representing Krarsht's maws. Balls, when potted into certain pockets go to the underside of the table, black-baized Hell, where a parallel game is played (and balls can come back to the main table). This is perhaps why the little ducks like snooker, because they can play the undertable better.

The rules are utterly complex and people suspect ducks of making them up as they go along, depending on whether they're winning or not.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

You aren't telling the original variant, after the durulz were cursed by Yelm to lose their sky attributes this was a revenge game played with eggs. Some hard boiled, some raw...

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Found this years ago on Jane's Glorantha page, The link does not work but...

Quoted from there:

All references to "Sartar" were of course originally to "Scotland". Creek-Stream-River and Dragon's Eye references thanks to Nick Brooke.: much better than "shining river" and "purple islands", which didn't fit at all.

Original words by Cliff Hanley

Hark when the night is falling
Hear, hear the pipes are calling
Loudly and proudly calling down through the glen.
There where the hills are sleeping
Now feel the blood a-leaping
High as the spirits of the old Quivin men.

Towering in gallant fame,
Sartar my mountain hame
High may your proud banners gloriously wave.
Land of my high endeavour
Land of the Creek-Stream-River
Land of my heart forever
Sartar the brave.

High in the misty highlands
Out by the Dragon's Eye lands
Brave are the hearts that beat beneath Sartar skies.
Wild are the winds who’ll meet you
Staunch are the friends who’ll greet you
Kind as the light that shines in fair maidens eyes.

Sartar my mountain hame
Land of my heart forever
Sartar the brave.

Far off in sunlit places, sad are the Sartar faces
Yearning to feel the kiss of mountain rain
Where Praxian skies are beaming, love sets the heart a-dreaming
Longing and dreaming for the homeland again

Sartar my mountain hame
Land of my heart forever
Sartar the brave.

Land of my heart forever - Sartar the brave.

NB: The last verse is only found in the Pavis version of this song: it is unknown in Sartar proper.

If we are stepping on toes bringing this back to life or if Jane, Nick, BRP central or disgruntled musicians, music lovers, scots, humakti or orlanthi need this to be taken down because of copyright issues give a shout and we will see it happen. Or directly contact the management. (can't spell his name by rote for the life of me, you will have to track it down or ask me to.)

Bill

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Quackatoa said:

... go to the underside of the table, black-baized Hell, where a parallel game is played (and balls can come back to the main table). This is perhaps why the little ducks like snooker, because they can play the undertable better...

They WANT you to think it's just their stature.

Actually, the Undertable has a mythic link to the Underworld and to Death itself... And what do many Durulz have but a Death Rune affinity!

The SIZ certainly doesn't hurt, but it's not the key...

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

This is a real thing?¿? No, seriously?

You brits is crazy!
I want to play!

You think that is crazy?  Try this primitive heroquest as we try to chase Shepelkirt from the sky!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=36&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwje-_Cszr3iAhWPQxUIHYRMBOkQFjAjegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FCooper%27s_Hill_Cheese-Rolling_and_Wake&usg=AOvVaw3sjG914-RgptKOezQL1Tkx

Culled a coupled of decades ago for use in my campaign from the long dead issaries.com

So two trolls were eating a Trickster, and one says to the other, "Does this taste funny to you?"

Sent by W. Glenn & Leslee Kirkconnell

rune_hw_talor_20.gif

Q. What do Uz call half-elves?
A. Meat and potatoes.

Sent by Christopher W. Stetson

rune_hw_talor_20.gif

First troll: "Your brother is terrible."
Second troll: "At least eat the potatoes."

How do you provoke a Zorak Zorani?
Be born.

How can you tell if a troll is hungry? He's breathing and his heart is beating.

Sent by Dag Stålhandske