Coming Storm prep

jpk

Hi everybody,

I'm preparing to run the cool-looking Red Cow campaign from CS/11L, and I have two questions if anyone can help (I've tagged this with 'Spoilers' on the off-chance it reveals deep dark secrets)

1) What's "the Bag" marked on the Jonstown Trail ? (Red Cow Lands map, p.28). The great Glorantha Wiki refers to the "Stagland Bag", but with no other detail I could find.

2) P.21 has the Red Cow Ferry as part of the King's Road <-> Stonegate trail, with the Creek being 80' wide at this point. From my reading though, the Creek seems to be about 500' wide at Red Cow Fort, and the trail could happily run over the wooden bridge (p.30) between Green Meadows and Brannagh's Farm instead avoiding the 'danger of the waters'. Is the ferry located elsewhere, or am I missing something ? 

Many thanks !  (and apologies if these are obvious, or have been answered elsewhere)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jpk said:

What's "the Bag" marked on the Jonstown Trail ? (Red Cow Lands map, p.28).

The map denotes it as a "landmark" (same as "the Finger"). It is not detailed in either Coming Storm or Eleven Lights, and there's no other reference even in Ian's old Book of the Red Cow. I'd assume both were notable rock formations. Perhaps it's a rocky sinkhole?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Ha! That works for me. 🙂 (and could have some interesting connection for Willandring the giant)

Alternately, they could have a connection with Bergilmer and prove to be of use in the Red Cow quest.

I mentioned Lant Ulfar first from memory but then I checked p.18 of DP:AGoK/ DP:LoT (2003) & discovered that both the Bag & the Finger were related to a certain unknown (?) Heda Brad according to the map of Cinsina lands there.

Edited by Christoph Kohring
Added link to the Vault as well as date of publication.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Christoph Kohring said:

I mentioned Lant Ulfar first from memory but then I checked p.18 of DP:AGoK/ DP:LoT (2003) & discovered that both the Bag & the Finger were related to a certain unknown (?) Heda Brad according to the map of Cinsina lands there.

Nice digging Christoph!

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

2 hours ago, Christoph Kohring said:

& discovered that both the Bag & the Finger were related to a certain unknown (?) Heda Brad according to the map of Cinsina lands there.

And rather hidden references even there! They are shown only on the map and referred to in the Index in association with Heda Brad. The index of myths in the back notes: "Vingkot slays Heda Brad", but the index for Heda Brad only links back to p.18, i.e. the Cinsina map, not to any actual text.

Feels like it must have come from someone's campaign, but not finding any further references.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jajagappa said:

The index of myths in the back notes: "Vingkot slays Heda Brad", but the index for Heda Brad only links back to p.18, i.e. the Cinsina map, not to any actual text.

Where is this index of myths?!? Can't find it in my copy of Dragon Pass: A Gazetter of Kerofinela, Land of Thunder!

16 minutes ago, Christoph Kohring said:

Where is this index of myths?!? Can't find it my copy of Dragon Pass: A Gazetter of Kerofinela, Land of Thunder!

p.86.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

17 minutes ago, Christoph Kohring said:

Thank you very much, Joerg! My 1st ed. copy from SJG has only 72 pages. 😂

In that case, you really should get the pdf from Chaosium. At 5$ it is a steal...

https://www.chaosium.com/dragon-pass-a-gazetteer-of-kerofinela-pdf/

• Thanks 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 8/28/2019 at 1:25 PM, jpk said:

Hi everybody,

Hi and welcome to the site.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:25 PM, jpk said:

Many thanks !  (and apologies if these are obvious, or have been answered elsewhere)

No problem. Feel free to ask any questions.

If they have been answered elsewhere, someone will point you to a link or will answer them again. Nothing is too obvious, some things appear really clear to writers but are not clear to readers.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 8/29/2019 at 5:59 AM, Christoph Kohring said:

Thank you very much, Joerg! My 1st ed. copy from SJG has only 72 pages. 😂

On 8/29/2019 at 6:18 AM, Joerg said:

In that case, you really should get the pdf from Chaosium. At 5$ it is a steal...

...and sell your 1st edition for millions!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

43 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

...and sell your 1st edition for millions!

Yeah, who kows!?! I'll wait until the MIG3 is out. Maybe @Rick Meints will include prices in this edition... Kidding aside, I am suprised that there were two (?) printings/ editions of DP:AGoK/ DP:LoT.

How many more pages are there, by the way & what more does it include? @Joerg? @jajagappa? Anyone?!?

On 8/28/2019 at 2:25 PM, jpk said:

2) P.21 has the Red Cow Ferry as part of the King's Road <-> Stonegate trail, with the Creek being 80' wide at this point. From my reading though, the Creek seems to be about 500' wide at Red Cow Fort, and the trail could happily run over the wooden bridge (p.30) between Green Meadows and Brannagh's Farm instead avoiding the 'danger of the waters'. Is the ferry located elsewhere, or am I missing something ?

Good question! IMOPG (In My Own Private Glorantha) I would say that the road does indeed go through the bridge between Green Meadows & Brannagh's Farm. Let's wait & see if @Ian Cooper has anything to add.

1 hour ago, Christoph Kohring said:

How many more pages are there, by the way & what more does it include? @Joerg? @jajagappa? Anyone?!?

19 pages of indices. Starts on pg.70, runs through pg.88. includes references for:

• Illustrations
  • Map Listing
  • Listing (of entries)
  • Alternate Place Names
  • Geographic Features (further subdivided into: Hills & Mountains; Bodies of Water; Forests, Woods, Groves, & Sacred Trees; Valleys, Vales, ...; Other Areas & Landmarks)
  • Socio-Political Features (subdivided into: Political Regions; Settlements; Roads, Trails, & Passages; and Ruins)
  • Myths & Heroquests (subdivided into: Conflicts & Contests [including Dragonslayings & Giantslayings]; Geographical; Heroquest Paths; and Other Myths)
  • Mytho-Religious Features (subdivided into: Essence Places; God/Theist Places; Spirit Places; Other Places)
  • Artifacts
  • Divinities, Heroes, & Monsters (subdivided into: Ancestors & Heroes; Essences; Gods, Daimones; Spirits; and Other Entities including Chaos entities, quakebeasts, dragons, giants, and other entities)

A lot of extensive cross-referencing.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2019 at 2:08 AM, Christoph Kohring said:

The map of Cinsina Lands on p. 18 with the Remains of Heda Brad (The Bag & The Finger) as well as the remains of Lant Ulfar (Red Rock, The Head, [Drum Point,] Greentree & Baretree) can be found here.

Cinsina_map.jpg

Added map itself.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all (and Ian !), that Cinsina map and Lant Ulfar is very helpful. I'm feeling sympathetic to Willandring the Giant now - on a clear day, he can see the ruins and trappings of his ancestors in every direction. I'm thinking too that the Red Cow Ferry may suffer some catastrophic issues from Wandle's escalating ire in "The Missing"

I had two other questions :

Are there any specifics on how Orlmakt Nine-Winds accidently broke the spear "Ferfal's Fire" while on diplomatic mission ? He is described as "Clumsy", so was it simply a case of "Yeah, yeah, I swing it twice above my head before I hand it over, I know what to do ..." followed by "Ooops" ? I was wondering if it come up from something fun in actual play :)

Also : I see Red Cow clan chmapion Jordarn was killed in a duel the year before campaign start, and I can't see if the position was filled. Would the role default to head housecarl (Jaranil the Thunder), or is this position up for grabs, potentially by a PC ?  I can imagine Broddi is reluctant to assign someone new .. which would put them square in Rostakus's sights. Further to that - are many intra-tribe problems in Sartar resolved by Champions ? Feels like the path of least blood-shed.

Thanks again

7 hours ago, jpk said:

I see Red Cow clan chmapion Jordarn was killed in a duel the year before campaign start, and I can't see if the position was filled. Would the role default to head housecarl (Jaranil the Thunder), or is this position up for grabs, potentially by a PC ?

As other clans like the Two-pines clearly note a Champion, I suspect that Broddi has not yet filled the role and it is defaulting to the head housecarl as you note.  I'd make it available to a PC if they can earn it.