Winter Adventures in Dragon Pass

Bill the barbarian

@Bill the barbarian

@JonBolds

Wait I was wrong, it is Xiola Umbar, not Argan Argar. Ugh. I knew it was something about enlo...

I'm less brain than headcheese right now because I'm mid-move. Apologies.

this is how headcheese I am from moving: it's what spurred my thread: 

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

2 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Wait I was wrong, it is Xiola Umbar, not Argan Argar. Ugh. I knew it was something about enlo...

No worries, thanks for the correction, I look for a half hour and found nothing corresponding to that, so resolution is good.

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

7 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

No worries, thanks for the correction, I look for a half hour and found nothing corresponding to that, so resolution is good.

For those who like things tied up nicely with a pretty bow (and really, what barbarian doesn’t?) RQ 3's Trollpak>Troll Cults Book>XIV. Notes on page 68 says a Xiola Umbar must be present at any Trollball game, but they can not sponsor a team. RQ 2’s Troll Pack>Book of Uz> Miscellaneous Notes on page 34 contains the same text

Cheers 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

This move is very difficult so my head is melting like an ice cream cone in a cheesy movie, as evidenced that this specific detail was the reason for my thread. So yeah, many apologies.

Just now, Qizilbashwoman said:

This move is very difficult so my head is melting like an ice cream cone in a cheesy movie, as evidenced that this specific detail was the reason for my thread. So yeah, many apologies.

No worries, I just figure good info is hard to find elsewhere, so here where we have all these great  brains (somedays not so much as you say, so others have to lend a helping lobe when needed) in what Trilfleaxor likes to call the hive we might as well strive for accuracy.

Good luck with the move.

Cheers

Thank you for the input, everyone! Here's a summary of updates to my scenario idea:

23 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Well here follows a few of the rules.

Just check out Bill's great post for the general rules of trollball.

On 9/26/2019 at 11:48 AM, Qizilbashwoman said:

That's the only rule I know. I think someone with the Exchange rune would do in a heroquest, absolutely. You are suggesting a literal game, though, aren't you? I think a heroquest game would be fairer: you can't honestly play IRL trollball with trolls on one side and humans on another, even if you only fielded enlo.

Given what everyone has said, trollball is pretty much a powerful magical ritual/Heroquest. So our game of trollball, when it starts, should be like a Heroquest that would take place in a god's temple. The uninitiated wandering by, who are not initiated into either Clan involved in the magic, would just see pretty normal stuff happening. (Though humans would inexplicably be holding their own in trollball.) To those in either clan, the referees would become Giants, the humans ancient, heroic Vingkotling ancestors (Getting a big temporary STR boost, I think.), the magic troll ball  etc.  

Since our quest hearkens back to the Storm Age, pre-curse, the ball(s) is a (likely very angry) badger. Someone should absolutely have to go into the woods and pry a badger out of its winter den as part of this scenario. As befits a Heroquest, anyone "slain" or "maimed" during the game comes back at the end whole, hale, and hearty.

It's a bit of a comedic relief scenario, but one of the great things about Glorantha is that it has comedy, tragedy, and epic in equal measure.

• Like 2

I have run Winterfall before, as a HeroQuest. Basically, the Forces of Winter come down from the mountains and fight the Forces of Summer,. to see who will rule the next couple of Seasons. Normally, cultists of Inora, Valind, Gargarth, Himile and other darkness cults come down and fight cultists of Orlanth, the Thunder Brothers, maybe Yelmalio or Lodril and other Summery Cults. They either fight in a battle or engage in a series of contests to see who will be victorious.

In my River Voices/Arganauts campaign, the Great Winter had fallen and the powers of Winter were strong, so they came in force. Normally, Orlanth opposes them, but Orlanth was Dead, so the Lunars stepped in to take his place, with their Kalikos HeroQuestor and some Lodrili, with some Oakfed-wielding Agimori. The PCs were annoyed that the Lunars were interfering, so fought on the side of Winter, as they were Giant-Friends and they assumed that giants come from the mountains so should like Winter. After a vicious battle, Winter was victorious and increased the strength of the Great Winter.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, JonBolds said:

So our game of trollball, when it starts, should be like a Heroquest that would take place in a god's temple.

Seeing as the Red Zone is a sacred place where all the sacrifices and pregame prayers take place, this will do quite nicely in lieu of a temple. 

4 hours ago, JonBolds said:

o those in either clan, the referees would become Giants,

I would really recommend a giant at least though two are usual. Seeing as kicking a malefactor of the field is not a euphemism, but really trying kicking a troll off a field with yer size 14 mukluks? Better call a giant (or two hopefully if you want the game to have any kind  of control). 

Happy Trollballing! 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Caras said:

(SPOILERS)

During Great Winter... How does it affect areas outside the circle? If our adventurers are sailing the seas. How does it affect their Runemagic? Ernalda and Orlanth adventurers are onboard.

Guided Teleport into the Windstop won't work. Most other rune magic may work, but you'd be justified to impose a penalty on the rune magic while the Windstop lasts. Like after a failed inspiration roll.

The weather patterns are disrupted all over Glorantha, and it cannot have been Tatius' intention to keep that up as it harmed his own resources back home, too. Letting the worst of the Wind Stop subside probably was part of his plan, and the battle of the Aurochs Hills may have coincided with a new phase in the startup effects of the temple.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 9/22/2019 at 2:52 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

. I mean, with the exception of our antipodean friends, I’m looking at you MOB, most of us come from or live in colder climes some of us even like it.

On 9/24/2019 at 10:21 AM, davecake said:

Actually Melbourne (where MOB lives) is regarded as pretty cold by Australian standards! Still warm for most of you - ie does not get snow - but nothing compared to a Perth summer, and then there are the really hot parts of the country, some of which make Death Valley look comparitively lush. 

Melbourne city rarely gets snow, but the outer suburbs sometimes do, especially in the hills. A little further north are the Snowy Mountains - not ironically named. 

I was going to say as an attempted joke - you have to fight the cold. But being Glorantha, that can be literally true.

12 hours ago, Caras said:

During Great Winter... How does it affect areas outside the circle? If our adventurers are sailing the seas. How does it affect their Runemagic? Ernalda and Orlanth adventurers are onboard.

I don't believe all Orlanth and Ernalda magic is dead outside the circle (Ralian Orlanthi would be super surprised to learned that all temples to Orlanth have been supposedly shut down), but it's presumably not fun either. An easy solution (might have been Joerg's - I asked this for my campaign) might be to double all Rune point costs for Rune spells coming out of Orlanth and Ernalda rune points.

Probably colder weather all around, as well. At sea, wind patterns will have been seriously disrupted.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Caras said:

Is it possible to cross the boundary of the Wind Stop? And what is happening just in the borders? Some kind of hurricane? Does it destroy places? Is it possible for my adventurers to inside from outside during Great Winter?

Thanks for the resurrection of what I thought should have been a great thread Caras. Sorry I have not been around putting in more thoughts but this winter has sucked, (all the more reason to get into fantasy winter I suppose). Ah well, cheers Caras. 

The liminal areas of the Wind Stop. I am looking forward to seeing the wise weigh in on this as I am thinking there could be some interesting adventuring to be had at the edge of this kind of madness. 

• 3 months later...

Well, here we are again, indeed, a little over 6 months since i started this thread Once again a beautiful snow is falling. i have just hung up my coat, poured myself some cocoa and as I watch the snowflakes lazily falling I think of the differences since the last day so like today. The last time I posted how mellow the snow had made me, I had not gone for a 40 minute walk, Hell I have not had a 40 minute walk for pleasure and needed exercise on a snowy day since I left my mountains over 25 years ago and then it would have been a ski. Hmm, what else is different, almost no traffic on the streets in this busy capitol of over a million souls. Odd indeed!. Smiles, I have not been smiled at by strangers and waved at by strangers in... since I left my mountains over 25 years ago!

Other differences, well the world faces a pandemic and economic collapse, that’s different. Hmm, and now one similarity! I am on topic In two ways, one I talk about winter (still!), two, I talk about adventure. I have not walked in winter time though my neighbourhood, as I said, in over 25 years and then it was quite a different neighbourhood. So on topic, eh? Well, that was an adventure! Streets I have never seen before in my beautiful river valley neighbourhood, hell a beautiful river valley neighbourhood I did not even know about yesterday. What a discovery, what a successful adventure. My calves are sore, my breathing slowly returns to normal (I wonder if I will ever see normal again in this new normal we face) due to unexpected exercise. I heard songbirds, I have not heard this in a while, well since... dare I repeat myself, since I left my mountain home 25, well you know....  The ground was white, not grey or black as is it’s wont in this normally traffic heavy city. Hell the air smelled and tasted good, that’s different!

A little over 6 months later, I spend a lovely morning speaking with my german friend Jörg, Hi, @Joerg, let’s chat again tomorrow, mien freund. Shall we talk about the entire span of human civilization again? Why not, eh? A couple of pages of editing done, plans laid for a new podcast (I am looking forward to a scheduled chat with both of my compatriots Hi, @lordabdul). Yes, things have changed. Tomorrow more people will die, Tomorrow will be as uncertain as today could have been, Maybe a good walk to exercise, maybe Skyping with friends, maybe being in awe of the wonderful world we live in, maybe having a wonderful adventure... maybe these will help. Was it only 6 months and another world ago I started this thread?

Stay healthy, stay sane. Be compassionate! Be well! Let’s talk again!

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1