CharloixBrooKiller

CharloixBrooKiller

Found this site by accident and was amazed that Glorantha and RuneQuest is alive and well.

I started playing RQ back in the 1970's, indeed not sure what Borderlands quite looks like now but I was the original victim of Tarnak!  Borderlands was built around adventures played in our local campaign.  FWIIW, I still from time to time break out my original copies of White Bear/Red Moon and Plains of Prax.   Good luck to all of you.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CharloixBrooKiller said:

Found this site by accident and was amazed that Glorantha and RuneQuest is alive and well.

I started playing RQ back in the 1970's, indeed not sure what Borderlands quite looks like now but I was the original victim of Tarnak!  Borderlands was built around adventures played in our local campaign.  FWIIW, I still from time to time break out my original copies of White Bear/Red Moon and Plains of Prax.   Good luck to all of you.

Hello & welcome to the site!

Quick recap...

RQ is alive and well, in a GLORIOUS new edition.  Bestiary + GM-Pack also out, with a slipcovered set of the trio, if that;s your fancy.  Lots more content coming along, some of it really soon!

2 other official Glorantha RPGs -- HeroQuest (a very-narrative game engine) and 13th Age (a descendant of a D&D variant) each have "Glorantha" core rulebooks (although each has independent non-Gloranthan books too).

Borderlands itself isn't currently in print, but "Borderlands & Beyond" includes virtually all of the original Borderlands... plus a bunch of other relevant content!

If you love the world of Glorantha, but have been out of the loop for years...  there's a real treat in store for you:  the Guide to Glorantha, in 2 massive oversized volumes.  No game mechanics, but the setting-bible to overmatch EVERY other setting-bible for any RPG, ever.  😁    More recently, the Glorantha Sourcebook (also mechanic-free) added its own wonderful myth-centric (anbd somewhat more accessible) variation...

It is an amazing time to be a fan of RQ & Glorantha!

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

9 hours ago, CharloixBrooKiller said:

Well cheers That is heartwarming. I had the same story a couple of years ago (RQ what, now, really! COOL)... when RQ 6 came out. Loved Borderlands and would love to hear about your tales on it. Like, did Daine die as a result of your actions or due to the author’s need/cruel whim?

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 7 months later...

So, cue the laughter.  When I started with Runequest there was no number...Just RQ   (now called 1) although it wasn't long until 2 came out.

One thing you should know about Borderlands, it was not universally pulled from one 'real' campaign like Steve's Pavis campaign or Greg's Sartar one.

A number of folks submitted material to Chaosium for individual scenarios.   Five Eyes Temple came from our group, although somewhat modified by the time it came to print.

Some of the Chaosium folks (I seem to remember Tadashi being very active but don't think his name is anywhere in the credits) got the idea to  mold them into the 'campaign' set of scenarios that Borderlands became.    Here's the part you'll consider sad........my character (Daine) and Tarnak (the mayor) were never in our RQ campaign.

They and the betrayal of Tarnak actually occured in our D&D campaign.  In fact, my Daine, dwarf fighter, originated in "3 book, boxed D&D".   Adding those characters was done to flesh out the story and (for which I'm appreciative) a 'shout out' to me for helping the author work on Five Eyes.  I can close my eyes...and picture myself at his kitchen table coming up with Newtling names.....Roy...Foy...Soy....Zoy....:)

I was fortunate that while we did not play in the Calf. RQ groups, we knew all the principles.  Through my work at a (now defunct, then famous, gaming store in the mid 70's to early 80s while I was in high school then college I got to move in all the RPG and Wargame circles.  Played D&D with Greg and Ernie Gygax..... I used to have a 3box D&D ruleset in which Dave Arneson wrote "May you always make your saving throw!"    pretty cool times.

It was neat to have 'inside info' which made our RQ games quite different than some of the others.  Just great memories.

I even posted somewhere else in here, and it made me laugh, because I reference Tada's High Tumulas and said something along the lines of "wonder how he is".....

And I got several folks answering in terms of Tada and Glorantha.....including the "Ta Da Shi"  when I really simply meant I wonder how the person Tada Ehari is doing these days?  ROFL

You guys do know that a LOT of the geography of Prax and Dragon Pass are named after real people, right?

Edited by CharloixBrooKiller
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I posted this a year or so ago. Please feel free to add to it.

In the early days of RuneQuest, around 1975 and 1978, Greg put the names of a number of the WB&RM contributors and RQ playtesters as the names of cities and towns on the William Church maps of the Dragon pass and Prax boardgames. They include such places as Pimper's Block (Jeff Pimper), Wilm's Church (William Church), Jonstown (Bill Johnson), Tada's High Tumulus (Tadashi Ehara), Biggle Stone (Clint Bigglestone), Swenstown (Steve Swenston), Tourney Altar (Art and Ray Turney), Cam's Well (Cam Stafford), Hender's Ruins (Steve Henderson), Hendriki (Hendrik Pfeifer), and of course Duck Point.

Duck Point was named by Greg's co-publisher of Wyrd magazine, Brian Crist. Brian was a huge fan of Carl Barks, author/artist of Donald Duck comics from 1942 to 1966, and inventor of most of the characters in the strip. ("I'm a big Barks fan too," said Greg, "Want me to list the characters he invented?") Brian wanted Duckburg, from the comics, but since the Air Pirates had just been successfully sued by Disney Greg was worried about the same thing happening, and changed it to Duck Point for copyright reasons, which was OK with Brian.

Laca, "the city of brown air" derives from Los Angeles (LA), California (CA). It looks better shown in all caps, like on the Church map. LACA

Naming stuff in honor of key players and contributors continued on other maps, like the wonderful map of the Holy Country found in the RQ Companion. Kenstone island (Ken Kaufer) for example. 

Nochet City got its name when Rudy Kraft asked Greg if he had named that unlabelled city on the map and he said "not yet".  

• Like 5

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

10 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

Laca, "the city of brown air"

That's one I didn't know!  Does a haze of brown air actually hang over it?

12 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

Kenstone island (Ken Kaufer) for example.

Oddly in my mind I always read that as Keystone Island.  But there it is in RQ Companion as Kenstone!

1 hour ago, Rick Meints said:

I posted this a year or so ago. Please feel free to add to it.

The origin of the Pairing Stone at the north edge of Prax is revealed in Pegasus Plateau. (I hadn't heard that one before, and I keep an ear out for these things)

I got my own place-name in the Guide to Glorantha, thanks to Jeff's generosity, and am immensely proud to be the genius loci of Red Badger, in far-distant Ralios.

• Like 2

It's a neat concept.  Many of the 'named leaders' in ASL are from AH folks, regular playtesters, etc.

I know that Harry from Australian Design Group was doing something with the newest printing of World  in Flames where you could pay to get customized counters that referenced deceased folks or something along those lines.

We don't game but I'm in touch with some of my RQ friends from the 70s/early 80s and none of us have heard from the guy that was Tarnak in 40 years...but anytime we look at  Borderlands we stop and think "wonder how Ed's doing?"  It's a nice touch.

If I recall, WIlliam Church, who did a lot of the art, was actually a carpenter or builder or something full time.  I seem to recall it always being tough for him to squeeze in time. Any idea Rick how he's doing.  He's gotta be in his 70s I'd think.  I'm just about at  60 and I swear everyone was 10 years older than I.  :)

Edited by CharloixBrooKiller
  • Like 2

Ok, sorry, but just thought of this since we're running down memory lane.  Rick..DO copies of STOMP exist?  is it still out there in a Chaosium closet?

It was a fun little, non dice, game that Tad did where one side was just 'giant feet' (ok, no quotes, liberally the feet) and your elves were trying to run around doing something I can't remember.

Anyone remember this fun little game?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CharloixBrooKiller said:

Anyone remember this fun little game?

I have a copy of STOMP! right here, right next to an original copy of Kill Doctor Lucky as it happens (from Cheapass Games, not Chaosium).  Lost my wine-stained copy of Credo, though, ages ago, so if Chaosium can push that re-release through the pipe anytime soon I'd be very grateful.

!i!

• Like 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

23 minutes ago, CharloixBrooKiller said:

If I recall, WIlliam Church, who did a lot of the art, was actually a carpenter or builder or something full time.  I seem to recall it always being tough for him to squeeze in time. Any idea Rick how he's doing.  He's gotta be in his 70s I'd think.  I'm just about at  60 and I swear everyone was 10 years older than I.

I believe William Church is still alive, and I did sort of track him down, but haven't been in contact with him. I have tracked down a lot of other people to talk to them to gather stories before they are lost to the ages. I'm happy to share what I know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hope that Helps,

23 hours ago, CharloixBrooKiller said:

Rick..DO copies of STOMP exist?  is it still out there in a Chaosium closet?

Yes, I have a few copies of the original in my collection. Chaosium reprinted it in their house magazine, Starry Wisdom, in the mid 90s as well. It's a cute little game.

Hope that Helps,

15 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

I have tracked down a lot of other people to talk to them to gather stories before they are lost to the ages. I'm happy to share what I know.

I hope you recorded/wrote down everything before you forget it :)  I'm still crossing my fingers so that in a distant future there's a Chaosium anniversary celebration that features a "History of..." book of some kind.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, CharloixBrooKiller said:

Rick, hope you see this.  Was not sure how to respond to you directly...

You can either use the PM feature (upper right, envelope-logo) -- a Private Message, not visible to the forum in general; or the "@" sign followed (without space) by typing the local username, such as @Rick Meints  (this should pop a contextual menu of names, that cuts down as you enter more letters).

1 hour ago, CharloixBrooKiller said:

... I was able to catch up with the mighty Tada!   Found him through facebook and caught up a bit.

Glad to see he's doing well.

Great news!  I don't think I ever gamed with him, but always glad to hear good things about other long-ago Chaosium folk !

C'es ne pas un .sig