Questions About Hit Points By Location

Old Man Henerson

Hi everyone, I have a few questions about the the rules for hit points by location.  My first problem is how do you keep track of each limbs hit points? Since they do not work with the hit point chart on the character sheet I do not know where to place them. Problem number two is what value do hit points by location have over the major wound rules, and which kind of games would you this rule over major wounds?

Typically, I'd use either the "major wounds" rules or HP-by-location, but not both together:  I see them as two different ways to make damage into something more-interesting than "big meatsack of HP's."

That said, one could integrate the two systems.

For by-location HP's, a sheet with the relevant spaces is invaluable.  There's a fan-made sheet here:   

(There may be other BRP sheets with hit-locations in the D/L section, too; I'm not sure.)

I'm very partial to the RuneQuest style sheets, where there's a little graphic of a person, with spaces on the graphic for the points.  The old RQ2 "Sapienza mk iv" sheet is primitive, but functional; the new RQG sheet is more evocative... and ALSO functional (the RQG special "artisinal" sheet it even MORE evocative... IMHO, too much so, too distracting from the core functionality & legibility of the sheet).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

29 minutes ago, g33k said:

Typically, I'd use either the "major wounds" rules or HP-by-location, but not both together:  I see them as two different ways to make damage into something more-interesting than "big meatsack of HP's."

That said, one could integrate the two systems.

Yeah. I was planing on only using one of the systems for my game, I just did not know which one would be more appropriate for the game I am planing to run.

29 minutes ago, g33k said:

For by-location HP's, a sheet with the relevant spaces is invaluable.  There's a fan-made sheet here:   

(There may be other BRP sheets with hit-locations in the D/L section, too; I'm not sure.)

I'm very partial to the RuneQuest style sheets, where there's a little graphic of a person, with spaces on the graphic for the points.  The old RQ2 "Sapienza mk iv" sheet is primitive, but functional; the new RQG sheet is more evocative... and ALSO functional (the RQG special "artisinal" sheet it even MORE evocative... IMHO, too much so, too distracting from the core functionality & legibility of the sheet).

Thanks for the suggestion, I think this sheet will do nicely if I decide to go for hit points by location.  I love that it is so nice and clean, even though I like the normal character sheet it can still be a bit cluttered.

Edited by Old Man Henerson
Spelling

On 11/30/2019 at 8:46 PM, Old Man Henerson said:

Yeah. I was planing on only using one of the systems for my game, I just did not know which one would be more appropriate for the game I am planing to run.

„It ain’t d100 if you can’t lose a limb.“

Can‘t quite remember right now where that wisdom comes from, but it’s accurate. HP per location is not necessarily deadlier than an overall HP pool per se, but it can be much quicker to inconvenience and hamper characters, leading to potentially deadly situations faster. Case in point: a character that, through an unlucky crit, gets reduced to 0 HP in the groin hit location loses control over his legs (which might both be hale at the time) and falls prone, putting him at a severe disadvantage towards his opponent.

So yeah, it’s a good idea to think about which system to use beforehand. 😉

• Like 2

On 11/30/2019 at 6:51 PM, Old Man Henerson said:

My first problem is how do you keep track of each limbs hit points? Since they do not work with the hit point chart on the character sheet I do not know where to place them.

What I do is to have a box beside the Hit Location and keep track of the Current Hit Points. So, the box might have 6 HP and i keep track by writing 4, 2, -3, 1, 6, crossing out, or erasing, the previous value.

Some people have a hit Point Tracker, so they have 10 09 08 07 06 05 04 03 02 01 and 00, then mark off where they are. this has several disadvantages for me:

• It takes up far too much space
  • It doesn't cope with PC with more than 10 HPs
  • It doesn't handle negative values very well
On 11/30/2019 at 6:51 PM, Old Man Henerson said:

Problem number two is what value do hit points by location have over the major wound rules, and which kind of games would you this rule over major wounds?

Generally, you use either Location Hit Points or Major Wounds. I can't see much point using both together, unless you use a system such as Legend, Mythras or Revolution D100.

Personally, I never really liked the idea of rolling where a wound happened only if it's a Major Wound, it just feels wrong to me.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, foolcat said:

Can‘t quite remember right now where that wisdom comes from, but it’s accurate. HP per location is not necessarily deadlier than an overall HP pool per se, but it can be much quicker to inconvenience and hamper characters, leading to potentially deadly situations faster. Case in point: a character that, through an unlucky crit, gets reduced to 0 HP in the groin hit location loses control over his legs (which might both be hale at the time) and falls prone, putting him at a severe disadvantage towards his opponent.

So yeah, it’s a good idea to think about which system to use beforehand. 😉

Mmm. Yeah, that might be a problem to look out for. Thanks for the tip

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

What I do is to have a box beside the Hit Location and keep track of the Current Hit Points. So, the box might have 6 HP and i keep track by writing 4, 2, -3, 1, 6, crossing out, or erasing, the previous value.

Some people have a hit Point Tracker, so they have 10 09 08 07 06 05 04 03 02 01 and 00, then mark off where they are. this has several disadvantages for me:

• It takes up far too much space
  • It doesn't cope with PC with more than 10 HPs
  • It doesn't handle negative values very well

So do you draw these boxes on the side of the character sheet next to hit points? You are right about the hp tracker though, it sounds too complicated for my tastes.

4 hours ago, soltakss said:

Generally, you use either Location Hit Points or Major Wounds. I can't see much point using both together, unless you use a system such as Legend, Mythras or Revolution D100.

Personally, I never really liked the idea of rolling where a wound happened only if it's a Major Wound, it just feels wrong to me.

Sorry for the confusion, I was never intending to use both systems at once, I was just curious what the advantages of each system has and what kind of games each one would be best suited for.

36 minutes ago, Old Man Henerson said:

Sorry for the confusion, I was never intending to use both systems at once, I was just curious what the advantages of each system has and what kind of games each one would be best suited for.

You could combine the two systems... 

Rather than use the location values as actual tracks to tick points off of,  you use  them as threshold values, instead of the Major Wound value. 

If you take between one and two times the value: limb is useless; both legs are useless (abdomen hit); falls down and can only crawl or lie still (chest);fall unconscious (head). Between two and three... basically just following the "Damage and Hit Locations" option box on p204 of the BGB.

Only tick points off of general HP. 

Issue with this is that you really have to be using Heroic HP, otherwise values can be so small that Major Wounds happen all the time.

SDLeary

• Like 1

I prefer (and I'm not alone in this) tracking the ACTUAL hp's per-location, rather than Major Wounds (those folk are heathens I tell you, HEATHENS!!!).

It's a bit grittier, because while "major" effects are similar in both system, an unlucky series of minor wounds to one Location can be equally disabling.

But I enjoy those narrative results.  The rising tension, as couple of minor wounds render a location vulnerable to even 1-2 unlucky HP's of damage.  The OMG as a solid (but not decommissioning) hit does the same.

It doesn't always happen that way... But there's always that risk!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, foolcat said:

My fave is 

t'ain’t punk 'til there’s blood!

Might well work for Storm Bulls and here in BRP land, berserks and bikers—oh and punks (is cyberpunk BRP a thang?).

On 11/30/2019 at 11:51 AM, Old Man Henerson said:

Hi everyone, I have a few questions about the the rules for hit points by location.  My first problem is how do you keep track of each limbs hit points? Since they do not work with the hit point chart on the character sheet I do not know where to place them. Problem number two is what value do hit points by location have over the major wound rules, and which kind of games would you this rule over major wounds?

Seriously:

• have not seen a BRP sheet ever. (whenever I played BRP i just used lined paper and pencil). so can not answer that specifically. I would imagine that they would be best placed near the body part in the pic that has the APs and HPs in  it ( a stick figure with 7 distinct body parts sufficed in proxy for this in paper and pencil games).
  • I love the grit, others hate the paperwork.and I am not sure about the second part of the query.

Cheers

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

combining the 2 system was what I was doing with Runequest 3 in 1989.. but I have seen no such rule in BRP (2011 edition or is  it 2014?), Mythras (2nd edition), Runequest 6 or Legend.
Nor I think it's worth the bother.

I found that localised HP help you survive better against many small cut or even big one if you have a big armour (since if each damage is on different location it really multiplies your overall HP).
But it's really much weaker against big damage, such as 2H weapon, or spell that typically ignore armour in many D100 systems... (though in BRP it is a bit confusing seem text seem to indicate elemental damage is blocked by armour, while some other page say the contrary)

I personally like the Revolution D100 system. It has localised HP (slightly higher too) but it has Toughness! which make over all the character much more resistant

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the help guys. This should be some very useful for my game. I am still sort of torn between major wounds and hit locations. On the one hand, I think hit locations would to some extent, be less damaging to my PCs and perhaps easier to work with in a narrative sense. On the other hand however, the normal HP system seems easier to comprehend mathematically, but it sounds like the major wounds would be more damaging, and it is not as evocative to the narrative as the other one

3 hours ago, Old Man Henerson said:

Thanks again for all the help guys. This should be some very useful for my game. I am still sort of torn between major wounds and hit locations. On the one hand, I think hit locations would to some extent, be less damaging to my PCs and perhaps easier to work with in a narrative sense. On the other hand however, the normal HP system seems easier to comprehend mathematically, but it sounds like the major wounds would be more damaging, and it is not as evocative to the narrative as the other one

What might help is to think about which method to use is how you want to handle armor. Do you want generic suits of armor,  or pieces that cover specific parts of the body?

• Like 3

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

18 hours ago, Old Man Henerson said:

So do you draw these boxes on the side of the character sheet next to hit points?

Normally, yes. Alternatively, if the Character sheet has a section for Hit Points by Location, with a number, I just cross that out in pencil and write the current number of HPs and erase it when I change it.

Some people like little humanoid charts with D20 Location/AP/HP and a box for the current HPs.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Bel;ow are a creature hit table summary I made when I was playing mythras, I quite like it in fact.... mm... maybe I should still use it ha!

Hit Points CON+SIZ                                              
Locations   1-5 6-10 11-15 16-20 21-25 26-30 31-35 36-40 41-45 46-50 51-55 51-60 51-65 51-70 51-75 51-80 51-85 51-90 51-95 96-00 +5pts          
Leg     1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 +1          
Abdomen   2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 +1          
Tail     1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 +1          
Chest   3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 +1          
Arm     1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 +1          
Wing     1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 +1          
Head     1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 +1          

Minor Wound                                                    
[ 1, HP [ Bruise and scratch                                                

Serious Wound                                                    
[ HP, 2HP [ No attack for D3r (pain), permanent scar                         Psilon              
    Limb: Endurance save fail => limb useless. (constructs/undead immune)               D20 Location            
    Chest, Abdmonen, Head: Endurance save fail => unconscious (dmg-HP)', first aid to awake           1-3 Right Leg            
                                        4-6 Left Leg            
Major Wound                                   7-8 Abdomen            
[ 2HP & up Character incapacitated                             8-9 Chest            
    Limb: shattered / rip off.                             11-12 Right Upper Arm          
    Limb: Endurance save fail => unconscious, dies in Healing Rate * 5r. (insect/droid/demons/constructs/undead immune)   13-14 Right Lower Arm          
    Chest, Abdomen, Head: unconscious                         15-16 Left Upper Arm          
    Chest, Abdomen, Head: Endurance save => die.                       17-18 Left Lower Arm          
    Chest, Abdomen, Head: Endurance success => Healing Rate * 2r for Healing or die.. (constructs/undead immune)     19-20 Head              

Humanoid       Quadruped, Winged   Insect       Arachnid       Centaurid              
D20 Location     D20 Location     D20 Location     D20 Location     D20 Location            
1-3 Right Leg     1-2 Right Hind Leg   1 Right Rear Leg   1-2 Right Rear Leg   1-3 Right Leg            
4-6 Left Leg     3-4 Left Hind Leg   2 Left Rear Leg   3-4 Left Rear Leg   4-6 Left Leg            
7-9 Abdomen     5-7 Hindquarter   3 Right Middle Leg   5-6 Mid Right Leg   7-8 Hindquarter          
10-12 Chest     8-10 Forequarter   4 Left Middle Leg   7-8 Mid Left Leg   9-10 Forequarter          
13-15 Right Arm     11-12 Right Wing     5-9 Abdomen     9-10 Fore Right Leg   11-12 Right Front Leg          
16-18 Left Arm     13-14 Left Wing     10-13 Thorax     11-12 Fore Left Leg   13-14 Left Front Leg          
19-20 Head       15-16 Right Front Leg   14 Right Front Leg   13-14 Abdomen     15-16 Chest            
          17-18 Left Front Leg   15 Left Front Leg   15-16 Front Right Leg   17 Right Arm            
Biped, Tailed     19-20 Head       16-20 Head       17-18 Front Left Leg   18 Left Arm            
D20 Location                         19-20 Cephalothorax   19-20 Head              
1-3 Tail Tip     Quadruped, Tailed   Insect, Winged                                
4-5 Right Leg     D20 Location     D20 Location     Arachnid, Tailed     Draconic              
6-7 Left Leg     1-3 Tail       1 Right Rear Leg   D20 Location     D20 Location            
8-10 Hindquarter   4-5 Right Hind Leg   2 Left Rear Leg   1-2 Tail       1-2 Tail              
11-14 Forequarter   6-7 Left Hind Leg   3-4 Metathorax     3 Right Rear Leg   3-4 Right Hind Leg          
15-16 Right Arm     8-10 Hindquarter   5 Mid Right Leg   4 Left Rear Leg   5-6 Left Hind Leg          
17-18 Left Arm     11-14 Forequarter   6 Mid Left Leg   5 Mid Right Leg   7-8 Hindquarter          
19-20 Head       15-16 Right Front Leg   7-10 Protothorax   6 Mid Left Leg   9-10 Right Wing            
          17-18 Left Front Leg   11-12 Right Wing     7 Fore Right Leg   11-12 Left Wing            
Biped, Winged     19-20 Head       13-14 Left Wing     8 Fore Left Leg   13-14 Forequarter          
D20 Location               15-16 Right Forelimb   9-12 Thorax     15-16 Right Front Leg          
1-3 Right Leg               17-18 Left Forelimb   13-15 Right Pincer   17-18 Left Front Leg          
4-6 Left Leg               19-20 Head       16-18 Left Pincer     19-20 Head              
7-9 Abdomen     Serpentine                 19-20 Cephalothorax                    
10 Chest     D20 Location     Pachyderm                                  
11-12 Right Wing     1-3 Tail Tip     D20 Location               Dorsal Finned Aquatic          
13-14 Left Wing     4-5 Mid End-Length   1-2 Right Hind Leg             D20 Location            
15-16 Right Arm     6-7 Fore End-Length   3-4 Left Hind Leg             1-3 Tail              
17-18 Left Arm     8-9 Rear Mid-Length   5-8 Hindquarter             4-6 Dorsal Fin            
19-20 Head       10-12 Mid Mid-Length   9-12 Forequarters             7-10 Hindquarter          
          13-14 Fore Mid-Length   13-14 Right Front Leg             11-14 Forequarter          
          15-16 Rear Fore-Length   15-16 Left Fron Leg             15-16 Right Fin            
          17-18 Mid Fore-Length   17 Trunk               17-18 Left Fin            
          19-20 Head       18-20 Head                 19-20 Head              
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 10:10 AM, Atgxtg said:

What might help is to think about which method to use is how you want to handle armor. Do you want generic suits of armor,  or pieces that cover specific parts of the body?

Most likely I will be going with full body armor, amusing the PCs hang on the the armor they get in the beginning. The rest of the peoples in my game are either semi primitive, medieval, level of armors at best with only a small percent having modern or advanced armors.

On 12/7/2019 at 1:00 PM, soltakss said:

Normally, yes. Alternatively, if the Character sheet has a section for Hit Points by Location, with a number, I just cross that out in pencil and write the current number of HPs and erase it when I change it.

Some people like little humanoid charts with D20 Location/AP/HP and a box for the current HPs.

On 12/7/2019 at 8:02 PM, Lloyd Dupont said:

Bel;ow are a creature hit table summary I made when I was playing mythras, I quite like it in fact.... mm... maybe I should still use it ha!

Hit Points CON+SIZ                                              
Locations   1-5 6-10 11-15 16-20 21-25 26-30 31-35 36-40 41-45 46-50 51-55 51-60 51-65 51-70 51-75 51-80 51-85 51-90 51-95 96-00 +5pts          
Leg     1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 +1          
Abdomen   2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 +1          
Tail     1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 +1          
Chest   3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 +1          
Arm     1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 +1          
Wing     1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 +1          
Head     1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 +1          

Minor Wound                                                    
[ 1, HP [ Bruise and scratch                                                

Serious Wound                                                    
[ HP, 2HP [ No attack for D3r (pain), permanent scar                         Psilon              
    Limb: Endurance save fail => limb useless. (constructs/undead immune)               D20 Location            
    Chest, Abdmonen, Head: Endurance save fail => unconscious (dmg-HP)', first aid to awake           1-3 Right Leg            
                                        4-6 Left Leg            
Major Wound                                   7-8 Abdomen            
[ 2HP & up Character incapacitated                             8-9 Chest            
    Limb: shattered / rip off.                             11-12 Right Upper Arm          
    Limb: Endurance save fail => unconscious, dies in Healing Rate * 5r. (insect/droid/demons/constructs/undead immune)   13-14 Right Lower Arm          
    Chest, Abdomen, Head: unconscious                         15-16 Left Upper Arm          
    Chest, Abdomen, Head: Endurance save => die.                       17-18 Left Lower Arm          
    Chest, Abdomen, Head: Endurance success => Healing Rate * 2r for Healing or die.. (constructs/undead immune)     19-20 Head              

Humanoid       Quadruped, Winged   Insect       Arachnid       Centaurid              
D20 Location     D20 Location     D20 Location     D20 Location     D20 Location            
1-3 Right Leg     1-2 Right Hind Leg   1 Right Rear Leg   1-2 Right Rear Leg   1-3 Right Leg            
4-6 Left Leg     3-4 Left Hind Leg   2 Left Rear Leg   3-4 Left Rear Leg   4-6 Left Leg            
7-9 Abdomen     5-7 Hindquarter   3 Right Middle Leg   5-6 Mid Right Leg   7-8 Hindquarter          
10-12 Chest     8-10 Forequarter   4 Left Middle Leg   7-8 Mid Left Leg   9-10 Forequarter          
13-15 Right Arm     11-12 Right Wing     5-9 Abdomen     9-10 Fore Right Leg   11-12 Right Front Leg          
16-18 Left Arm     13-14 Left Wing     10-13 Thorax     11-12 Fore Left Leg   13-14 Left Front Leg          
19-20 Head       15-16 Right Front Leg   14 Right Front Leg   13-14 Abdomen     15-16 Chest            
          17-18 Left Front Leg   15 Left Front Leg   15-16 Front Right Leg   17 Right Arm            
Biped, Tailed     19-20 Head       16-20 Head       17-18 Front Left Leg   18 Left Arm            
D20 Location                         19-20 Cephalothorax   19-20 Head              
1-3 Tail Tip     Quadruped, Tailed   Insect, Winged                                
4-5 Right Leg     D20 Location     D20 Location     Arachnid, Tailed     Draconic              
6-7 Left Leg     1-3 Tail       1 Right Rear Leg   D20 Location     D20 Location            
8-10 Hindquarter   4-5 Right Hind Leg   2 Left Rear Leg   1-2 Tail       1-2 Tail              
11-14 Forequarter   6-7 Left Hind Leg   3-4 Metathorax     3 Right Rear Leg   3-4 Right Hind Leg          
15-16 Right Arm     8-10 Hindquarter   5 Mid Right Leg   4 Left Rear Leg   5-6 Left Hind Leg          
17-18 Left Arm     11-14 Forequarter   6 Mid Left Leg   5 Mid Right Leg   7-8 Hindquarter          
19-20 Head       15-16 Right Front Leg   7-10 Protothorax   6 Mid Left Leg   9-10 Right Wing            
          17-18 Left Front Leg   11-12 Right Wing     7 Fore Right Leg   11-12 Left Wing            
Biped, Winged     19-20 Head       13-14 Left Wing     8 Fore Left Leg   13-14 Forequarter          
D20 Location               15-16 Right Forelimb   9-12 Thorax     15-16 Right Front Leg          
1-3 Right Leg               17-18 Left Forelimb   13-15 Right Pincer   17-18 Left Front Leg          
4-6 Left Leg               19-20 Head       16-18 Left Pincer     19-20 Head              
7-9 Abdomen     Serpentine                 19-20 Cephalothorax                    
10 Chest     D20 Location     Pachyderm                                  
11-12 Right Wing     1-3 Tail Tip     D20 Location               Dorsal Finned Aquatic          
13-14 Left Wing     4-5 Mid End-Length   1-2 Right Hind Leg             D20 Location            
15-16 Right Arm     6-7 Fore End-Length   3-4 Left Hind Leg             1-3 Tail              
17-18 Left Arm     8-9 Rear Mid-Length   5-8 Hindquarter             4-6 Dorsal Fin            
19-20 Head       10-12 Mid Mid-Length   9-12 Forequarters             7-10 Hindquarter          
          13-14 Fore Mid-Length   13-14 Right Front Leg             11-14 Forequarter          
          15-16 Rear Fore-Length   15-16 Left Fron Leg             15-16 Right Fin            
          17-18 Mid Fore-Length   17 Trunk               17-18 Left Fin            
          19-20 Head       18-20 Head                 19-20 Head              

Thanks for the tips and materials. My character sheets don't have any stick figure boxes, but I think I can use these well enough. These should all help a lot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Old Man Henerson said:

Most likely I will be going with full body armor ...

Expect people to ask -- if you have per-location HP's -- why they cannot (for example) just put on a heavier helm, to protect the head.

If disabling any body-part will disable the whole character (instead of, for example, making them drop a weapon (arm), or fall (but still maybe spell-cast) (leg)), then better armor where it really matters will become something they care about.

If per-location armor feels like too much overhead, maybe Major Wounds is your better choice...?

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

Expect people to ask -- if you have per-location HP's -- why they cannot (for example) just put on a heavier helm, to protect the head.

Good point. I f you are going to go to the trouble of having hit locations, then location specific armor sort of follows, especially with the head.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 5:02 AM, Lloyd Dupont said:

As for myself, I prefer to use the following formula than such a huge table :

Location Hit Points = (CON+SIZ)/5 (round up)

Abdomen: +1

Chest: +2

Arm or Wing : -1 (minimum 1)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, g33k said:

If disabling any body-part will disable the whole character (instead of, for example, making them drop a weapon (arm), or fall (but still maybe spell-cast) (leg)), then better armor where it really matters will become something they care about.

If per-location armor feels like too much overhead, maybe Major Wounds is your better choice...?

That could definitely be a problem with collapseing all the time. I am leaning towards major wounds now, especially since keeping track of each limb's hit points sounds rather tedious. Although I wonder if location system could be used on enemies rather than PCs.

34 minutes ago, Old Man Henerson said:

That could definitely be a problem with collapseing all the time. I am leaning towards major wounds now, especially since keeping track of each limb's hit points sounds rather tedious. Although I wonder if location system could be used on enemies rather than PCs.

One system I used a long time a go was to use locations but not track location hit points. Instead I used major wounds, with the locations determining where. It actually worked out fairly well, since  it's not like 1 point of damage is going to disable a limb or anything.

I wouldn't advise in making  NPC damage any  more complicated that PC damage, as  no one except the GM will usually care.

• Thanks 1