Teshnos and Mounted Soldiers

GianniVacca

20 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Well, clearly the Teshnan mahouts have "Stalwart Pachyderm" spells or something.

I don't think that pachyderms trained by the Teshnan fire worshipers are that easily scared by fire.

The topology  of Teshnos isn't that friendly for any grazing beasts, whether horses or Praxian beasts.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

I don't think that pachyderms trained by the Teshnan fire worshipers are that easily scared by fire.

Now you've got me imagining some kind of sacred elephants with fire altars on their backs or spewing fire from their trunk. Why not. Go wild. Some special temple-mount of an effigy of Solf or Somash or something.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Now you've got me imagining some kind of sacred elephants with fire altars on their backs or spewing fire from their trunk. Why not. Go wild. Some special temple-mount of an effigy of Solf or Somash or something.

Even under RQ rules, a howdah with spellcasters buffing the hell out of the elephant is extremely potent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joerg said:

The topology  of Teshnos isn't that friendly for any grazing beasts, whether horses or Praxian beasts.

This is why I was thinking something more exotic, like reptile- or running bird-based (fantasy) mounts.

16 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Sure in earth it is fire, maybe in glorantha it is darkness or .. or ... I never visited Teshnos and probably will never ^^

Darkness is the element to look for when you want to frighten someone, so yes - a Shade's fearshock (might require a really large shade if you need to envelop the entire beast, though) or even just the shade clouding its vision may be sufficient to make an elephant at least unsure. Madness or even Berserker may cause the beast to ignore any mahout control. But then it is likely that "Command Elephant" replaces the spike and hammer carried by real world mahouts to stop their beast in their tracks.

From the titles of the noteworthy people in Teshnos, it looks like Somash may be the cult with Command Elephant.

The Praxians love visiting Teshnos, and the souvenirs they can bring back, but they loathe the Fever Woods they have to traverse before entering. The God Learners fell in love with the place, too, and so did the Holy Country merchants with Melib. Haragalans are regular visitors, too. Oh, and Argrath and Harrek enjoyed their stay, too.

Argrath figured out how to deal with the pachyderms - " He discovered they were not so fierce if their noses were cut off." Easy peasy.

2 hours ago, GianniVacca said:

This is why I was thinking something more exotic, like reptile- or running bird-based (fantasy) mounts.

We know that the Loper mounts did reasonably well prior to the God Learner occupation.

I don't know how canonical this is any more, but the annual combat between a huge (draconic) serpent and a war elephant at pass across the Shan Shan suggests that the Teshnans distrust reptilian beasts.

If they used avilry (bird-like beasts), something like bolo lizards or small (birdlike) gazzam, I think we would have heard. OTOH they might use Beast Riders as mercenary cavalry.

Ttrotsky's "No space on the Ark" lists gaur bovines as native to Teshnos, possibly in addition to the water buffaloes that it mentions for the Kralori. Not as steeds, but as draft beasts.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 1/12/2020 at 4:50 PM, metcalph said:

However elephants are clearly better. 

Elephants can carry howdahs on their back, with archers. They can also wear plate armour on their legs and head. They can also wield a club in battle as well as attack with their tusks and stomp you. When they drink distilled spirits, they tend to get very drunk and go berserk in battle.

Elephants are clearly better.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 1/17/2020 at 2:53 PM, soltakss said:

Elephants can carry howdahs on their back, with archers. They can also wear plate armour on their legs and head. They can also wield a club in battle as well as attack with their tusks and stomp you. When they drink distilled spirits, they tend to get very drunk and go berserk in battle.

Elephants are clearly better.

It's when the elephants get together before battle to stomp and trumpet up a whole mess of spirit magic that you've really got to worry though