Looking for Online Runequest: Glorantha game...new player

Hello, I’m new to Runequest Glorantha and this forum.  I’m looking for an online RuneQuest Glorantha game.  I’ve played once before at GenCon last year, and I own the books.  I’m located on the East Coast of the US.   If you would please point me to an online game that needs players, or a place where people post for players.  Thank you.

• Like 4

I wish you luck. I'd offer to let you join our group, but we play at about 1930GMT+0800 or so Saturday nights till about midnight, and I suspect that would be a very uncomfortable time for you to make weekly sessions. However I'm sure there are more US RQG players than there are in Western Australia, so hopefully someone will be able to help.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found it really hard to find an online game.  After the quickstart came out I looked for a long time but found nothing, so I gave up.  Then with the extended lockdown I decided to have another try, and just got lucky when @Trotsky posted on the Roll 20 LFG forum.  I've been looking on there since, just out of curiosity and there has been nothing for RuneQuest.  There must be a better way to group players up for online RuneQuest games.  I appreciate we're a pretty small audience, but the best way to support the game and help it grow at the moment is to ensure players can find groups.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, J_Noll said:

I decided to give GMing a try with RQ:G.   We start our game with a character building session today. Wish me luck.  I’m an experienced GM,  but not with RQ:G.

If you're  using Roll20, and have platform issues/questions, I'd be happy to try to help.

• Like 1

The existing generic on-line "looking for game" sites are not easy places to look for or to find Runequest games. 

Why?

First. because of D&D's market dominance, looking for "Runequest' or "Glorantha" on those sites is like looking for a needle in a haystack.  And as I posted yesterday, on Reddit (r/lfg), there isn't even a Runequest tag to search for, so Runequest would be buried in the "other" tags.   Many other minority share role playing systems have tags, but not Runequest.  And note that looking for a game or for players is forbidden on the Runequest Reddit, it's all theoretically pushed to r/lfg, so I don't think I was looking in the wrong place.

Second, there just aren't many needles in that haystack. From examining Reddit and Discord I get the feeling that Runequest players and GMs seldom thought of on-line games until COVID-19 had been around for months.   I may be wrong about that.  Chaosium may be gathering actual quantitative research on this for all I know, and that would be better than my feelings.  But I do know that when I looked for recent posts even mentioning Runequest in those fora I saw very few.

I was encouraged when Chaosium produced this new page on their web site: https://www.chaosium.com/runequest-online-play/

but it's only a good start in adapting Chaosium's marketing to the COVID-19 conditions.  So I hope there is more to follow.

21 hours ago, Videopete said:

The key issue is there is not a lot of developed tools specifically to jump right into runequest. I bought fantasy grounds but I'm struggling to learn to use it, mostly from I work nearly 11 hours a day.

Roll20 has some support and some people work on "personal" version of support for other VTT. I also own FG and no support was ever provided for it and developing a system is very time consuming.

Also seeing the community, Online RQG games fill very fast and often are not even advertised as GM already have contacts with prospective players outside forums

Edited by astaroth

On 8/16/2020 at 1:37 AM, Westnovote said:

I found it really hard to find an online game.  After the quickstart came out I looked for a long time but found nothing, so I gave up.  Then with the extended lockdown I decided to have another try, and just got lucky when @Trotsky posted on the Roll 20 LFG forum.  I've been looking on there since, just out of curiosity and there has been nothing for RuneQuest.  There must be a better way to group players up for online RuneQuest games.  I appreciate we're a pretty small audience, but the best way to support the game and help it grow at the moment is to ensure players can find groups.

I am trying to talk my partners in Wind Words to run a free "looking for games" "running games” I have “x”, but I wish "y” free classified  section in our Wind Whispers news letter but I am having a hard time (can’t figure out why, considering a thread like this comes up all the time) convincing them it is needed. So, @lordabdul and @Joerg. this is what I was referring to in putting in a simple classified section. Whatcha all think?

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

2 hours ago, CaptinDan said:

The more I read of this new edition the desperate I am to play. Any help finding a group would be much appreciated 

Where do you live?

There are Players all around the world.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

There are Players all around the world.

Except around here. :( It was devastatingly poor in the 80s and 90s and now... I have seen five board game/RPG cafes close in the past month that I had hoped to sell on trying RQ. Granted they mostly played Settlers and such as well as WOTC product like M:TG or D&D but I will now never know.

Looks to me that if one wants to play about here it will be with someone from Germany or France or perhaps Pellucidar or Barsoom!

Cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

People looking for a game can look at:

• Forums LFG areas:
    • ENWorld
    • RPG.net
    • There's no dedicated LFG area here on BRP but it might be worth it to ask @Trifletraxor to add one (which could be useful for both RQG but also HQG and Mythras and Magic World and everything else). Especially since most of these other forums don't have much for BRP games except CoC.
  • VTT LFG:
    • Roll 20
      • Note that many people mark their games as having "mature content" to avoid having kids join their game, or not have to think about watching their language. You'll get more hits if you check that box before searching.
    • Fantasy Grounds
  • Some sub-reddits:
    • Reddit LFG
      • It also has an official LFG Discord server.
      • There's no official flair for RQG (don't complain about it, ask the mods to allow it!), but you can still just look for "RuneQuest" and find a few hits in the past couple months.
    • RuneQuest sub-reddit
    • Glorantha sub-reddit
  • Some Discord servers:
  • Other social services
    • Meetup
      • Look for some kind of RPG meetup in your area. In mine, there are a few (a general one, a couple for D&D/PF, one for horror RPGs like CoC/Vampire specifically, etc.). This is where I've found most of my players!
    • Facebook:
    • MeWe
    • Some other classified/meeting service, like Craigslist.
      • I find that different cities have different "traditions" when it comes to online communities. This is especially true if you just moved from one side of a continent to another, or even moved continents completely. It's also true if the last time you looked for a group was 10 years ago! It's possible everybody has moved to a different platform!

Look up any gaming stores in your area and see if they have any resources for you. Like I said above, some of my gaming stores have Discord servers themselves where they help gamers meet. Ask the owners and staff! Put the "friendly" back in "friendly neighbourhood gaming store"!

For Reddit, Discord servers, and forums, use the search feature to find games. Everybody is online these days so it doesn't have to be local! Sort by newest instead of by relevance. I've seen the most LFG posts on Discord, these days. It's probably because a lot of people are using Discord for voice chat, and they probably figure they'll get the most replies there. There's one such post seemingly every week or so on the Chaosium/RQ/Glorantha Discord servers linked above.

Last, actively post somewhere that you're looking for a game. If 20 people are looking for a game, don't find anything, shrug and go away, none of them will ever get anywhere. Post online to show your interest, so the other 19 can find you and each other!

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !