Elfquest & Ringworld.

On 5/30/2020 at 9:36 PM, HeartQuintessence said:

, since in the elfquest RPG apparently you can fail to telepathically talk to others... ( which is fine if you're an elf who's never done it, but for some elves its a matter of survival to do that... soo.. you shouldn't be able to fail unless impaired in my opinion.)

As far as I remember, nothing prevents you from re-trying. It will just cost you more MPs to activate it, and Elves have a high base skill.

If the rules are really identical to the BGB Psychic powers rules, MP cost may be a issue, though. It requires 1 MP per combat round, which means a character with POW 18 will only be able to endure a little less than 4 minutes contact before falling inconscious. Far from the 1 MP for 5 minutes of RQ's Spirit Magic spell.

On 5/30/2020 at 8:36 PM, HeartQuintessence said:

...If people are interested I'd be willing to  see about Veritas-- though I think the Elfquest RPG is hard to find (its definately out of print, but there are dozens of other systems that might work better for EQ, since in the elfquest RPG apparently you can fail to telepathically talk to others... ( which is fine if you're an elf who's never done it, but for some elves its a matter of survival to do that... soo.. you shouldn't be able to fail unless impaired in my opinion.)

Wolf-rider elves have a starting POW of 2D6+6, and the Sending (basic telepathy skill) at POW x 4, and whilst a failed sending costs 1 MP if they were paying MP (See later) , a character with poor skill can BOOST their chance by spending extra MP (+10% per MP).

A message costs  a base of 1 MP per 1000yds range, but for every 10 percent skill, you get 1000yds "free"... so an Elf with 10% Sending  trying to send a message within 1000yds (i.e. for free) can fail, but it costs them nothing and they can add to their chance of success by spending MP... 

A typical  Wolf-rider (Sending 52%) who isn't that fussed about how quickly they get through  can try  free sendings to folk within ~2.8 miles for no cost (barring fumbles, which always cost 1 MP) and  one in every two attempts will get through - a fair game representation of the "telepath pauses and screws up their face in concentration" - but if they want minimal chance of error, they spend 5MP to boost their success chance to 102%.

I rather like that it puts limits on what can be achieved related to skill, whilst implying sufficient reliability that casual usage need not bog play down, but for certainty the player will need to commit some resource. 

Cheers,

Nick

1 hour ago, HeartQuintessence said:

Good point. I've never actually had an encounter with the physical book. and pdfs probably do not exist if this was published... *wikipedia* 1984...

No legit ones. The pdf format didn't even existed when the licenses lapsed.

• Like 1

I remember seeing Elfquest and its supplements around but ended up getting Toon instead.  Have a Warp Graphics copy of Issue 1, caught a bit more of the story via the Marvel reprints but never was able to follow the twists and turns of its overall plot.  Given what I now know about my gaming group at the time, Toon was the right choice.  Stone Age savage elves just weren't in their wheelhouse, although Wolfriders as native opponents might have made a good Classic Traveller encounter.  Still, it would be interesting to find a copy.

On 5/28/2020 at 6:21 AM, Lloyd Dupont said:

Thanks for this in depth explanation...

Right now and forever I have been using Homebrew vaguely prepared games.. but as I struggle to come up with a well prepared original new genre (for me) I am thinking to myself... maybe I should have another go at pre made adventures, so much easier.. and you sold me the RingWorld quite well! :)

I created a Known Space/Ringworld adventure for RadCon 2020 but didn't get any players for it.  The thing about adventuring on Ringworld is the insane size.  Giving the players the options to go anywhere on it seemed too daunting to me, so I was always reluctant to run it. Honestly, the crashed ship onto Ringworld is really a nice way to limit how far they can go and see.  You could prep a number of different scenarios and use them no matter where they PCs go (visiting the other great ocean for example) but they always have an easy exit with advanced vehicles. 

Here's a Ringworld character sheet I created from the River of Heaven OpenQuest RPG sheet.  One of the more simplified versions of a BRP-type system. 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7420fdvpd70vpx8/Ringworld_BRP_Character_Sheet_v2.pdf/file

Edited by ORtrail
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

Can not see a reason to open a new thread, so move over Delicti, It’s necro-thread casting time!

Just reading the original EQ series for my third time...woohoo, I was not aware of just how rereadable this puppy (see what I did there, huh?) was.  Just as thrilling and heartbreaking and surprising as it always was! And i had a copy of the game and sea elves (?) in my sweaty hands at a 2nd hand book store 20 years ago and said, nah,  I will get it tomorrow!

Waugh!

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 12/14/2020 at 9:21 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

Can not see a reason to open a new thread, so move over Delicti, It’s necro-thread casting time!

Just reading the original EQ series for my third time...woohoo, I was not aware of just how rereadable this puppy (see what I did there, huh?) was.  Just as thrilling and heartbreaking and surprising as it always was! And i had a copy of the game and sea elves (?) in my sweaty hands at a 2nd hand book store 20 years ago and said, nah,  I will get it tomorrow!

Waugh!

My father and I thoroughly enjoyed the comics, many moons ago. If he could see all of this, know that those comics and that RPG he brought home for me have had this kind of lasting effect, I think he'd be quite happy.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 7:21 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

So, just finished and a few stray tears dry on my cheeks. But it is time to type.
Wow and again I say wow. Wendy and Richard Pini (the Warp of WaRP Comics...) created one of the great tales and myths of our kind. A Quest certain to bring tears and mirth to eyes, sobs and chucked to throats and chill and warmth to hearts... If you have not read this excellent series do so! If you have, read it again!

Brilliant!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

Just the original EQ series? The World of Two Moons has a lot of epic, and the sequels are worth reading, too. Personally, I am partial to the spacefaring future of the world where the elves are remembered vaguely by the humans, and where the Neverending (that species that the original inhabitants of the Palace chased across the galaxy) have finally arriived at the World of Two Moons. Those graphic novels hint at some world building that should be fun to explore.

But yes, the original quest for the palace is a classic. The rules are based on the first quarter of that saga mainly, and already need some re-adjustment for the encounter with the Gliders.

But they also apply to the human SF setting if you add the technology rules from the BGB.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

33 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Just the original EQ series? The World of Two Moons has a lot of epic, and the sequels are worth reading, too. Personally, I am partial to the spacefaring future of the world where the elves are remembered vaguely by the humans, and where the Neverending (that species that the original inhabitants of the Palace chased across the galaxy) have finally arriived at the World of Two Moons. Those graphic novels hint at some world building that should be fun to explore.

Ya know, I have read the original a couple of times now, but have never moved beyond. Reasonably happy with it as is.