Classic Fantasy eyesight straining tables.

Conrad

I don't wear glasses, having excellent eyesight, but I've noticed that in the tables in Classic Fantasy the font is so tiny that  it strains my eyes looking at it for too long. In future CT publications could you please make the font size in the tables the same size as in the main text. I've run out of magnification spells recently....😁

• Haha 1
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

• 11 months later...

Black on medium grey causes problems in reproduction and legibility?  Say it isn't so.

All joking aside, yeah, when we prepare tables and text for work, grey shading is no more than 15% and no less than 10% darker than the surrounding field.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

!i!

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

6 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

image.png.d3661b4840e48a8bca761c5d714a3143.png

Had no idea of what was being referred to so I decided to finally crack the (metaphorical) spine on my PDF... Yowsers! This is grim!

Not sure what your screen settings are, or which PDF reader you're using, but here's the same table from our production PDF, clipped from PDF Expert, and at 100% view.

1069425333_ScreenShot2021-06-23at11_08_05AM.png.59b4a76c7d5b410019f509da2783d90d.png

The black on gradient text where the gradient is heaviest is what's affected the most, but we haven't seen the blurriness from your screen shot, Bill. What PDF reader are you using?

• Thanks 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Yeah, your screen capture is much better...

My Screen capture is from a late ’13 quad core iMac using Intel Iris Pro with 1536 MB for graphics with a resolution of 1929 x 1080... The reader is Preview (macOS Mohave, almost up to date). And I would much prefer seeing what you are seeing rather than what I am seeing. 

Thanks for your attention!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

image.png.de1ae1519f5fad98116e966a6fcb61bb.png

I assumed you were on to something, so I decided to check it out using Adobe Acrobat. While I do not like Adobe anymore there is a considerable difference, no? Above Acrobat, below Preview...

30 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

image.png.d3661b4840e48a8bca761c5d714a3143.png

Had no idea of what was being referred to so I decided to finally crack the (metaphorical) spine on my PDF... Yowsers! This is grim!

2 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

image.png.de1ae1519f5fad98116e966a6fcb61bb.png

I assumed you were on to something, so I decided to check it out using Adobe Acrobat. While I do not like Adobe anymore there is a considerable difference, no? Above Acrobat, below Preview...

It's odd that your Preview should give such a fuzzy result. Mine (BigSur on my M1 Mac Mini, and High Sierra on my mid 2010 Macbook Pro) both give pretty clear renders, similar to Raleel's.

The MI chip will enable you to have far superior graphics with the way it integrates various processes with in itself (GPU and CPU all on the same chip, I believe), the Catalina powered Mac of Raleel's might be closer to my world (what kind of chip and year?) but yeah, my first reaction was HOLY S#!T!

ETA just saw that you had good results with an older computer (and a laptop to boot) and an older OS... strange. Well look at my post above and there you have the proof.

Any ideas?

56 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

The MI chip will enable you to have far superior graphics with the way it integrates various processes with in itself (GPU and CPU all on the same chip, I believe), the Catalina powered Mac of Raleel's might be closer to my world (what kind of chip and year?) but yeah, my first reaction was HOLY S#!T!

ETA just saw that you had good results with an older computer (and a laptop to boot) and an older OS... strange. Well look at my post above and there you have the proof.

Any ideas?

I really don't have any ideas. Way above my expertise where the tech is concerned. I have seen differences in quality between PDF engines though. I've tried Foxit, Wondershare, Acrobat, GoodReads and a couple of others and they've all had varying results. 

• Like 1

I have the print version of Classic Fantasy on my shelf, so I just opened to a table. Imagine the left-side of the table with barely any differentiating contrast until it gets about 1/8 of the way across the table(moving from left to right). Honestly the gradient on the table is a bit distracting, and with the differences between paper and screen it makes things more difficult than it need be.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 1:03 PM, lawrence.whitaker said:

I really don't have any ideas. Way above my expertise where the tech is concerned. I have seen differences in quality between PDF engines though. I've tried Foxit, Wondershare, Acrobat, GoodReads and a couple of others and they've all had varying results. 

Doing some research now, might be time to change to a new PDF reader... did you see my messages about Preview and quality elsewhere in these varied fora? I was in touch with Simeon of Chaosium layout about it. Apple told him it can not recommend its free reader for some of the heavy  lifting RPGs demand of them. 

4 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Doing some research now, might be time to change to a new PDF reader... did you see my messages about Preview and quality elsewhere in these varied fora? I was in touch with Simeon of Chaosium layout about it. Apple told him it can not recommend its free reader for some of the heavy  lifting RPGs demand of them. 

Interesting, I haven't encountered, nor have I had any issues using Preview for Chaosium PDFs, save in the really old days when it simply would not accommodate really large files.

I have also had few issues with TDM files; again mainly in older files. The one that comes to mind was one of the older edits of RQ6. Opening and looking at my PDF of Classic Fantasy right now in Preview (TDM500 Classic Fantasy Interactive May 2016), its nice, crispy and contrasty. Even in the dark rows of tables, the text is crisp and readable; though perhaps a lighter overall grey without the fade would have been better for readability.

Looking at the same file in Acrobat Pro DC, the biggest difference is in the body font. Its finer, finer sweeps, ascenders, and descenders based on the typeface ( @lawrence.whitaker, is this still Warnock... looks too fine in Adobe). This, while readable, makes tables on the far left more difficult as the finer lines don't provide as much contrast.

I'm really perplexed Bill... no clue why your experiencing the fuzzies! 🤷‍♂️

You might try PDF Expert. I've had good luck with it in the past, though I don't use it now.

SDLeary 

• Like 1

Looks Ok on Microsoft Edge Version 91.0.864.59 (Official build) (64-bit) under Windows 10.

Maybe a bit blurry at 100% due to the stick-thin letters.

image.png.5dc854ae1f8201046305640c669a1bcd.png

Absolutely fine when zoomed in to 200% to fit to the width of my wide-screen monitor.

image.png.741394b5f8fcc1b250cc98f6fa1770ad.png

@Bill the barbarianMaybe you should move to a Windows 10 PC/Laptop! 😮

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here