"Larnste's Table"

Squaredeal Sten

The only canon information I've found on Larnste's Table, is that it's on the map NW of Red bird, and N of Birne's Squeeze,  in the Thunder Hills, and is a flat topped hill or ridge.  Does anyone know of any other information, canon or not, that details it?

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
spelling

Page 14 of the Gamemaster Adventures book in the GM Screen Pack has a little more info. It's a major temple to Orlanth Adventurous, and has Mastakos as an associated cult. Currently under control of the Jonstown confederation.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

3 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

The only canon information I've found on Larnste's Table, is that it's on the map NW of Red bird, and N or Birne's Squeeze,  in the Thunder Hills, and is a flat topped hill or ridge.  Does anyone know of any other information, canon or not, that details it?

It's part of the Cinsina tribal lands, and so the most references are in the Coming Storm, with some in Eleven Lights.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 7/23/2020 at 3:12 AM, David Scott said:

It's part of the Cinsina tribal lands, and so the most references are in the Coming Storm, with some in Eleven Lights.

Thanks, those two heroquest books are a little gold mine of details for the area.  So, by legend  Larnste raised the land to put his stuff on;  there is an Orlanth temple there, the local clan is named and poor,  looks like a good place for a pilgrimage to fit the Movement rune. And in ?fire season? there are customary athletic races there.

There is room for an update, post-rebellion -  since presumably the Lunars are out, it should be safe to worship Orlanth there again. 

17 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

There is room for an update, post-rebellion -  since presumably the Lunars are out, it should be safe to worship Orlanth there again. 

Perhaps @Ian Cooper can comment on this.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

• 4 years later...

A PC is born with some sort of birthmark that is associated with Larnste.

What might it look like besides a movement rune? Could there be a dragon in the shape of a movement rune? Maybe its not a dragon but could be perceived as one, it comes out more clearly after said PC becomes a devotee of Larnste?

Also I found this note a while back, maybe by Jaja: Gold Wheel Dancers spoke Firespeech - they are beings of Fire.  If they worship anything specifically it would be Aether and certain members of the Celestial Court (particularly Larnste and Harana Ilor).  

What would the relation be between Larnste, Harana and the Gold Wheel Dancers?

What would a plot hook be to get PC's to Larnste's Table beside the races held there... if anyone could think of something besides that... what would draw a PC who is born with birthmark of Larnste to the tables besides dreams/visions, etc.

Thanks as always.

Posted (edited)

I'd favor a movement rune birthmark.  A dragon would be ambiguous at best in reference to Larnste. 

Dreams and visions: How about always being moving? That's all right for a god, but mortals may not feel rested after a night like that. You know, there's said to be an altar to Larnste that is always moving about northern Sartar.  Let's say the dream includes eating lunch at a mesa , who could not get the connection?

Larnste and the Gold Wheel Dancers are both unavailable in the Third Age.  Larnste seems to have been a Gods War casualty.

Plot hooks besides the races..

pre-Dragonrise,

an act of defiance against the Lunars,

perhaps a relic to be recovered from the temple

or a special ritual or heroquest that can only be enacted successfully at the temple.

Post Dragonrise: 

The re-consecration of the Orlanth temple?  Which must have been desecrated by the Lunars/ 

A pilgrimage to this site, which has emphasis on the Movement rune?   

A simple invitation to take part in Cinsina tribe celebrations of a seasonal or even weekly holy day? 

Carrying a message or making a delivery  to the senior priest, or any priest, of the temple?  Could be as simple as delivering an item that he had ordered made in another place like Jonstown or Wilmskirk, or delivering a votive statue.

A Mastakos cult member is looking for a shrine, and not every temple has a Mastakos shrine, so when he wants to regain Rune points he is willing to take a little hike?  For an intiate of Mastakos, what can be better than some travel?

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
spellng
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

A PC is born with some sort of birthmark that is associated with Larnste.

What might it look like besides a movement rune?

Other than the triskele, the best known impression left by Larnste is the Footprint.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

17 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

How about always being moving?

This helps the entire campaign. I like it. So many places to go and see...

perhaps a relic to be recovered from the temple

Maybe Lanste left something at the Table that needs to be found, how could that link to the Footprint and what might be there or in Hell where it burnt through? It sounds like the beginning of an epic quest... something left at the Table leads to something at the Footprint or below it in Hell...

Larnste and the Gold Wheel Dancers are both unavailable in the Third Age.

YGWV but there are several links to GW Dancers under another thread. They need to be found and or reunited with their spirit IMG. I also like that by being at the Table some connection could be made to Larnste? I'll need to review the pre 3rd Age sources on Larnste... hero quest maybe?

13 hours ago, radmonger said:

skilled artist

Maybe, just maybe, Gloranthians have decided to be more stylized with their tattoos with ground rune metal in them and with much more detail than a simple ordinary rune?

image.png.d44a93d01c6f50af82916b69432b9607.png

51 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Other than the triskele, the best known impression left by Larnste is the Footprint.

For a birthmark/tattoo it'd have to be something more, for me, than a footprint but it may lead to another idea. I'll work on the triskele and see where that goes. Appreciate the input all.

image.png.92c64714c2c9d8948dc2064014699c33.png image.png.95935602f77b53267015d688a6222b17.png

This note From: jorganos <joe_at_...> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:25:46 -0000

https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/Whitewall/0789.html 

has me thinking there is a link to Larnste and the Gold Wheel Dances if for no other reason than they were seemingly also affiliated with movement and change but also fire. I have found another rabbit hole...

"Larnste's ultimate fate during the Gods War is uncertain. Some philosophers believe that he survived by transmuting himself into another form, god, or power, and thus is no longer Larnste."

Edited by Erol of Backford

35 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

This helps the entire campaign. I like it. So many places to go and see...

At least until they try to stop and rest... and find they can't. The Wanderlust quickly comes upon them and drives them on... again and again and again...

37 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Maybe Lanste left something at the Table that needs to be found, how could that link to the Footprint and what might be there or in Hell where it burnt through? It sounds like the beginning of an epic quest... something left at the Table leads to something at the Footprint or below it in Hell...

What burned the Toe Hole to Hell was Larnste's Blood. Which would certainly have the properties of change (and where corrupted as in the Footprint leads to constant Chaotic change).

You could easily picture Larnste having a Walking Stick (living one of course - something like an Aldryami serpent staff), a Gourd for drinking from, perhaps a Purse or Bag to put things in (bigger on the inside no doubt).

40 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

I'll need to review the pre 3rd Age sources on Larnste... hero quest maybe?

The only one of the Celestial Court to return after the Great Compromise is Uleria, who remains universal power of Love/Fertility. All the other Power Runes have been taken by others. Mastakos bears the Movement Rune after the Dawn.

One might argue that Larnste changed into or was reborn as Mastakos, but you won't find any story to indicate such. However, Mastakos is found in Daliath's Well of Wisdom (by both Magasta and Orlanth), and Movement is subsequently carried by the King of the Sea and the Storm King is their prerogative. Movement is no longer an independent power. 

A heroquest to restore Larnste would undoubtedly have to recover (i.e. steal) tools from both Magasta and Orlanth (perhaps even taking Mastakos' chariot!) and earn the enmity of both those cults.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jajagappa said:

The Wanderlust quickly comes upon them and drives them on... again and again and again...

I am still lost in that "go see the world" mode even in real life and so, find trouble, solve the problem, maybe set up a base of sorts, get some locals to manage it for you and than move on. Then you have a base of operations the next time you go that route... maybe. That will be the basis for the long term campaign for my retirement, or so I hope for it. Just need to find a gaming group that wants to meet in person. I'm old fashion that way.

What burned the Toe Hole to Hell was Larnste's Blood. Which would certainly have the properties of change (and where corrupted as in the Footprint leads to constant Chaotic change).

Curious what Larnste's "uncorrupted" blood's properties would be, Arroin's heals, what would Larnste's do, change your sex, species, make you fly, etc?

One might argue that Larnste changed into or was reborn as Mastakos

That might work, I had read somewhere that  character could still invoke Lanste powers by being at the table and conducting rituals during scared time... I'll try to find it again. I liked the idea and so maybe at the table during the "races" one might be able to become an initiate of Larnste/Mastakos. More will be needed on that... another rabbit hole.

A heroquest to restore Larnste would undoubtedly have to recover (i.e. steal) tools from both Magasta and Orlanth (perhaps even taking Mastakos' chariot!) and earn the enmity of both those cults.

Sounds like those "tools" might just be Gold Wheel Dancers!

Thanks again Jaja.

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

That might work, I had read somewhere that  character could still invoke Lanste powers by being at the table and conducting rituals during sacred time... I'll try to find it again. I liked the idea and so maybe at the table during the "races" one might be able to become an initiate of Larnste/Mastakos.

Places where Larnste paused: the Traveling Stone, Larnste's Table, etc. are likely imbued in some way with one of his powers. I think the Traveling Stone allowed you to increase your Movement Rate. 

In terms of initiation, I think it would have to be to Mastakos - there simply isn't a cult of Larnste (or a god behind it) to initiate to.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Given that Larnste was about movement, the questers should have to travel all the places connected to Larnste - the length of the Rockwoods, Kero Fin, Larnste's Table, the Footprint. The Traveling Stone, too, probably take that along this trip. And the questers would be required to undergo changes of themselves.

If you want to go God Learner about this, the cults of Mastakos and Jmijie would be needed, and whichever motion/change entity is in the Eastern Elemental/Powers pantheon, and some questing in the broken remnants of the west. If the dwarf project pushes up Somelz again (for whichever repair purpose of theirs, other than to mend one of the four great rifts in the Earth Cube), some portions of the Brown Sea may fall dry as well.

For full integration, I argue that the Lunar cycles are an expression of Larnste, too, so you would have to piss off the Red Goddess as much as Magasta and Orlanth for stealing Mastakos. And as the dwarf said, the Red Orbiter hasn't finished orbiting yet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

One could argue the Rockwood Mountains as well.

True, but their shape got co-opted by the EWF as the outline for the huge dragon's wings.

On 8/3/2024 at 6:43 PM, Erol of Backford said:

What might it look like besides a movement rune?

Why not a birthmark that constantly changes? Maybe it rotates, maybe it moves around the body, maybe it changes form.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here