High Death Rune and procreation

Brootse

2 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Though there is obviously parental influence on your pantheon, I don't think there is much influence on your exact God.  (In Glorantha)

I think it's mostly in a roundabout way - if your parents are merchants, and raise you to be a merchant, then it's at least more likely than otherwise that you will initiate into Issaries. It's the family trade, after all. You could be called by another god, which will mess up your parents' plans for you (in my campaign, the eldest son of the farmer family is a Daka Fal apprentice shaman, and his parents are only slowly accepting that it might be more than just a phase - good thing they have two spare sons with more sense!).

Edited by Akhôrahil

15 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:
15 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Most people would have Fertility 50%, I would think. Sure it ain't high, but it ain't low either.

Yeah, I just looked that up.  Power Rune pairs all start at 50/50, so a low Fertility Rune is just what it looks like.

Is that the case? I hadn't realised that.

So, I have to buy an element or form Rune up to 50% but my Power runes all start at 50%? Hmmm ...

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

34 minutes ago, soltakss said:

So, I have to buy an element or form Rune up to 50% but my Power runes all start at 50%? Hmmm ...

Man and Beast start at 50% too, in a pair like the power runes. But really, it's best not to try and infer Gloranthan reality from one set of game rules.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 5:42 PM, Brootse said:

From my experience, humaktis and storm bulls usually don't survive for long. Their method of solving problems usually involves glorious charges

That’s analogous with someone with a low fertility rune tending not to have those intimate moments with girl/boyfriends (excusing my blushes), not with them being infertile.

The analogy for low fertility rune meaning infertility is rather a high death rune means high mortality, for example, reduced hit points.  I find that difficult to swallow.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:12 PM, Stephen L said:

That’s analogous with someone with a low fertility rune tending not to have those intimate moments with girl/boyfriends (excusing my blushes), not with them being infertile.

The analogy for low fertility rune meaning infertility is rather a high death rune means high mortality, for example, reduced hit points.  I find that difficult to swallow.

Nah, it says nowhere that high Death Rune means worse hitpoints. But in Runequest Roleplaying in Glorantha p. 426: "The Childbirth roll may be augmented by the Fertility Rune, or reduced by the Death Rune (lower the roll by the amount of a successful augment), as desired by the player."

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2020 at 2:48 AM, soltakss said:

The "paired" runes (the ones paired on the sheet) begin at a 50/50 balance.

During character-creation, you pick 2 of those pairs to be "strong/weak" and they are at 75%/25%.

You pick 1st/2nd/3rd Elemental runes, and get those at 60/40/20.  You also may get Cultural bonuses to some Runes (which are not necessarily the ones you chose (but probably are, for most characters)).

Finally, you get 50 percent's to spend ad hoc on any Rune on your sheet, which lets you blast that key/core Rune up to 95%, if you want...

C'es ne pas un .sig