I want to see The Yellow sign. Please help me

Ejlertson

I am very fond of The Yellow Sign and the way The King in Yellow spread corruption to bring forth Hastur.
Id love some input on what supplements I need to read to really broaden my knowledge of the subjetc of everything Hastur, Carcosa and The King in Yellow.

Help me lose my sanity and see the Yellow sign in all its glory

The campaign Tatters of The King really is the place to go. Ripples From Carcosa is a nice multi-era collection of scenarios dealing with Hastur. Also, there's a great write-up on the Hastur Mythos on Delta Green: Countdown, if you can get your hands around a copy.

Edited by AlonsoAguilurk
typos
  • Thanks 1

Well Delta Green Countdown is and Delta Green Impossible Landscapes will be You go to material. In Tales of the Crescent City by Golden Goblin Press is chapter about KiY and one of the most prolific and enjoyable adventures of all time Have You Seen The Yellow Sign and a sequel of some sort. 

9 hours ago, AlonsoAguilurk said:

Delta Green: Countdown, if you can get your hands around a copy

It's available in PDF and POD on DriveThruRPG.

Besides Chaosium's aforementioned "Ripples from Carcosa" and "Tatters of the King", John Wick has written a few scenarios collected in The Curse of the Yellow Sign, but I have never read those, and I think they were published before he joined Chaosium so they qualify as 3rd party (but licensed for CoC).

In Delta Green, the freebie scenario "Night Floors" is I believe currently being expanded by Dennis Detwiller into a giant King in Yellow related campaign called "Impossible Landscapes", which should be released later this year. Some preview/pre-editing PDF of the contents is available on Dennis' Patreon.

For non-Chaosium games, there is the King in Yellow RPG which offers a uniquely tailored campaign experience.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Thanks 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

There was also The Yellow King by Robin D Laws using the Gumshoe rules (as used in Trail of Cthulhu). It came in a box set with four different eras and, to be totally honest, I couldn’t really make much sense out of it. Other people may like it though. 

Oh and Tatters of the King was excellent, one of my favourite CoC campaigns, and Impossible Landscapes (for Delta Green) is lining up to be one of the campaign releases of the year (I’ve seen some of the preview material). 

As has been stated above, the original version of "Tell Me Have You Seen the Yellow Sign?" is available in Chaosium's Great Old Ones supplement, still available in PDF, I believe. A completely updated and slightly expanded version appeared in Golden Goblin Press's Tales of the Crescent City, along with its sequel, which also deals with the book The King in Yellow and its characters, scenes, and background; both scenarios are set in New Orleans in the 1920s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tell Me Have You See the Yellow Sign is considered by a lot of people as one of the great CoC scenarios out there. And Kross is right - Golden Goblin did update and reprint it. Highly recommended!

• Thanks 2

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

The first Strange Aeons book has the King of Shreds and Patches, set in the Elizabethan era, about the writing of a precursor the King in Yellow play.  There's a scenario called Tatterdemalion in Fatal Expriments which is to do with Carcosa - it's a more visceral and weird portal story than the psychic entropy of most Hastur scenarios, but it will supply good imagery for the big guy's homeworld.

Pelgrane Press did a long scenario called Soldiers of Pen and Ink, which is about Hastur's influence descending on Madrid during the Spanish Civil War.  It's big on the psychic entropy, and the Investigators will have their work cut out for them to save the souls of a whole city.  Another book, Shadows over Filmland, has a scenario called The Black Chateau, about the dedication of a modernist villa as Hastur's temple.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2021 at 12:36 PM, SunlessNick said:

Pelgrane Press did a long scenario called Soldiers of Pen and Ink, which is about Hastur's influence descending on Madrid during the Spanish Civil War.  It's big on the psychic entropy, and the Investigators will have their work cut out for them to save the souls of a whole city.  

Oh, didn't know that one was Hastur related. I love that setting. How much does the scenario offers in terms of setting information? I'd love to set something in Franco's Spain. 

11 hours ago, AlonsoAguilurk said:

Oh, didn't know that one was Hastur related. I love that setting. How much does the scenario offers in terms of setting information? I'd love to set something in Franco's Spain. 

Not a huge amount, but quite well used.  Sparse for a full campaign, but easily enough for a couple more scenarios than the Soldier's itself.  It is very focussed on the war and on Madrid.

”Mask of Desire” from “Does Love Forgive?” has ties to the Cult of Hastur.

Here’s a few non-Chaosium RPGs that are related to the King in Yellow:

• “Carcosa” is a OSR hex crawl that brings you to the titular city and the its surrounding world near Aldebaran where black stars burn. Not much to do with the King in Yellow mythos, but it is an intriguing RPG based on OSR RPG “Lamentations of the Flame Princess”. It’s got a fair amount about the mythos between its covers 
  • The Pathfinder 1st edition Adventure Path “Strange Aeons” pits your party against the King in Yellow.
  • “The Repairer of Reputations” for Pelgrane Press’ “Trail of Cthulhu” RPG allows you to play through Robert Chambers’ original story. “Trail of Cthulhu” uses the GUMSHOE rules like Pelgrane’s “Yellow King” RPG. However, Pelgrane has released ways of converting between the two systems so you might be able to use the Call of Cthulhu rules with a bit of tweaking.

Well-known CoC internet reviewer Seth Skorkowksy’s book “Ashes of Onyx” delves in the Hastur mythos.

The first season of HBO’s True Detective is perhaps one of the best filmed representations of the King in Yellow themes.

Beyond that, I’d check out the original stories by Chambers and Ambrose Bierce and many of the stories in the Hastur Cycle published by Chaosium.

• Like 1