Launching this Friday, July 2: The Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter

MOB

23728fbc5c5735b2eeb49fd79a154072_original.jpeg.7d7e16e0d0ddf77ebe2f45d5a978c76f.jpeg

On a cold and rainy day back in 1981 Chaosium unleashed its Call of Cthulhu tabletop roleplaying game on an unprepared world... 

To help celebrate the 40th anniversary of Call of Cthulhu, this Friday (July 2nd) we're launching the Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter, featuring a remastered version of this iconic boxed set and five of its first supplements (Shadows of Yog Sothoth, The Asylum & Other Tales, The Cthulhu Companion, Trail of the Tsathogghua, and Fragments of Fear). 

Chaosium President Rick Meints said,

"Because we want to deliver these boxed sets in time for the anniversary later this year, we've already got all of these books and boxes ready to print. If this Kickstarter gets funded, within a week of ending, we're going to be sending out ALL of the PDFs to the backers. All of the files will be off to the printer shortly after that. No waiting on writers, or artists or layout to get this done. We print. We ship."

1408232408_CoC_40th_anniversary-logo-TMcopy.png.b4b2b5688515128c728ed686f3db82a0.png

Chaosium hopes you will join us as we celebrate Call of Cthulhu's 40th anniversary and back this project!

AB CHAOS NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

Sign up to be the first to hear our about the Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter Launch, plus all latest news and updates about Chaosium games.

Ab Chaos Newsletter Sign-up

• Like 16

Is there a Kickstarter page, we can visit yet?  Normally, Kickstarter projects have a page you can visit before the project launches that likes you sign up to be notified when the project starts.  That how I have been backer 1 on a couple of Kickstarters.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, measuredrums said:

@Rick Meints Is the original Keepers Screen going to be included in the KS as well? It seems I recall seeing it pictured amongst the items shown in the initial pics you posted that were hinting at this release, but I do no see it shown amongst the goodies now.

It is a stretch goal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

7 hours ago, klecser said:

Before someone asks, I'm going to get ahead of it:

This is a classic product and has not been updated to 7th edition rules. I believe it is 2nd edition rules.

I'm only a little bit sad not to get a reprint of the first edition, but second is where I started in 1984, so that's hitting my nostalgia centres squarely on.

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

6 hours ago, Berwyn said:

So will we be able to pick and choose which components we can get? Can I get just the box with the original books and map or is it everything pictured or nothing?

Don't know for sure yet, but it is likely an all-or-none. Chaosium wants to produce this in time for the 40th later this year, and it's harder to do that if people pick-and-choose. That would make logistics and shipping an absolute nightmare. As @lordabdul commented on social media, there may only be one buy-in choice.

Edited by klecser

5 hours ago, klecser said:

Don't know for sure yet, but it is likely an all-or-none. Chaosium wants to produce this in time for the 40th later this year, and it's harder to do that if people pick-and-choose. That would make logistics and shipping an absolute nightmare. As @lordabdul commented on social media, there may only be one buy-in choice.

That would be really disappointing and definitely price me way out. Well then, here's to hoping this will bring some of this stuff into print outside the Kick for a time so the rest of us can pick up the bits we want.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Berwyn said:

So will we be able to pick and choose which components we can get? Can I get just the box with the original books and map or is it everything pictured or nothing?

I guess Rick will soon answer this more thoroughly, but in a recent video he uploaded to the CoC Facebook group, he showcased two options for the box set: a 1 inch rules box set, and the larger 2 inch box set that includes all supplements. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Berwyn said:

There a number of backer levels, but the main 2 ones are a 1" boxed set with just the 2nd edition rules (2 books, map, and handouts), and a 2" boxed set with the rules (2 books, map, and handouts) and the 5 supplements.

That doesn't include stretch goals, just the basics.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Well it’s up! I went in for the 1” and 2” box combo. Was a bit tempted by the signed one but decided to be slightly (ha!) thrifty. Roll on $100,000 for the screen!

One small thing I noticed, Rick mentioned in the video stretch goalbut unless drooling over the Kickstarter has resulted in sight damage somehow I can only see the one stretch goal. Are there more to be announced if the screen one is met?

Edited by glassneedles
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 12:02 PM, Berwyn said:

That would be really disappointing and definitely price me way out. Well then, here's to hoping this will bring some of this stuff into print outside the Kick for a time so the rest of us can pick up the bits we want.

Good news, the KS FAQ says that they will offer all the books individually as POD at some point later.