Tales of the Pop Star Captains

soltakss

On 9/8/2021 at 5:47 PM, AlHazred said:

And now I have found a female god to go along with my Indlas Somer (male) god -- Katiperi, the Sun of the Somer, the Dark Horse That Roared.

Does she get on with Rhondabarbaraannannette?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 9/11/2021 at 2:50 PM, soltakss said:

I find a lot of younger players don't get that reference, which makes me feel old. This one might be recognized.

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 2:50 PM, soltakss said:

It occurred to me a better way to do it would be to have a visionary demonstrate magically that Katiperi and Rhondabarbaraannannette are the same entity.

• Thanks 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

22 minutes ago, AlHazred said:

It occurred to me a better way to do it would be to have a visionary demonstrate magically that Katiperi and Rhondabarbaraannannette are the same entity.

Bodacious!

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 9/8/2021 at 11:47 AM, AlHazred said:

And now I have found a female god to go along with my Indlas Somer (male) god -- Katiperi, the Sun of the Somer, the Dark Horse That Roared.

Behold, Katiperi astride her Great Golden Lion, blazing forth to defend the Sky Realm.

katy-perry-robot-lion-super-bowl-2015-ha

The epic of her great friendship, feud, and reconciliation with Tay-Tay the Swift has great power to weave peace among mighty foes who could be even mightier allies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, JonL said:

Tay-Tay the Swift

That might be too much for my players. I'd have mutiny!

ROLAND VOLZ

On 9/26/2021 at 5:42 AM, soltakss said:

That's OK, someone will raise a similar thread at some point in the future, anyway.

We should start a separate thread for the tales of the Pop Star Captains. I wish Jeff had moved those into a different thread rather than deleting them. Their good natured playful collaborative fun was a refreshing change from heatedly debating the fine points of whether Yelm's beard braids curl clockwise or widdershins (which can also be fun, but still).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JonL said:

Yelm's beard braids curl clockwise or widdershins

Now there’s a really interesting question.  I guess the definition of clockwise direction comes from the direction the shadow goes on a sundial (in the northern hemisphere).  But which direction would a sundial go in Glorantha?  And so which direction then is clockwise for a Gloranthan?

I’ve never thought about it before, but a Sundial must go anti clockwise in the southern hemisphere, which surely is against the whole definition of clockwise!

Or am I off topic here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Stephen L said:

Now there’s a really interesting question.  I guess the definition of clockwise direction comes from the direction the shadow goes on a sundial (in the northern hemisphere).  But which direction would a sundial go in Glorantha?  And so which direction then is clockwise for a Gloranthan?

I’ve never thought about it before, but a Sundial must go anti clockwise in the southern hemisphere, which surely is against the whole definition of clockwise!

Being flat, Glorantha's sundials would thankfully all go the same direction, though in Pamaltela, you would read it from the bottom of the dial rather than the top, clearly.

31 minutes ago, Stephen L said:

Or am I off topic here?

Perish the thought.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:42 PM, Joerg said:

Meanwhile, in the Wastes, the feud between the Oasis siblings Blurs...

Of course, for all their sound and fury, the heart of the conflict was a love that their pride would not admit. Many lives would have been spared if only they could have faced one another in honesty.

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jajagappa said:

Clearly they must be braided into circles which curl neither clockwise nor counterclockwise as those latter two would demonstrate rebellious spirals!

This feels like the truth. Further, the nomenclature for rotational directions is likely something like Skywise and Windwise (though the Lunars no doubt seek to supplant Windwise with something like Phasewise).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Clearly they must be braided into circles which curl neither clockwise nor counterclockwise as those latter two would demonstrate rebellious spirals!

Maybe two upwards-curling braids, inward-curving circular arcs in opposite directions for perfect balance?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

So, it is beard hair that has neither beginning nor end? Truly, He is the Great God of the Universe!

I felt really bad that my crappy attempt at humor derailed an interesting conversation, but now @Scotty has made it all right again. Just as Indlas Somer intended! I just wish I'd thought of the "Pop Star Captains" title...

• Like 2

ROLAND VOLZ

2 hours ago, AlHazred said:

I felt really bad that my crappy attempt at humor derailed an interesting conversation, but now @Scotty has made it all right again. Just as Indlas Somer intended! I just wish I'd thought of the "Pop Star Captains" title...

Sometimes the comedy needs to be workshopped.  Ideally not in the middle of a standup set, but WikiHumour is more my speed anyway.  "Some joke involving [X] juxtaposed with [Y]!  Where are my scriptwriters, I need rewrites here!"

And all hail @Scotty, truly the merry Trickster bonded to our stern-yet-just Orlanthi tribal king!  Just keep the latter handy in case David goes all Murderer aspect, like they're having waaaaaay too much fun discussing on another thread.

20 hours ago, JonL said:

Being flat, Glorantha's sundials would thankfully all go the same direction, though in Pamaltela

I've tried really hard to let this go... But I'm sorry I can't help my self.

Being a flat world has no impact on the matter.  It's all to do with if at mid day, the sun appears south or north of you.  Which means the direction the sundial goes is based where on Glorantha you are and the tilt of the sky dome, as it goes through its annual cycle.  There will be places on Glorantha where sundials will go clockwise parts of the year and anti clockwise others! 

In recompense for taking up the bandwidth with stuff I shouldn't here's a picture of Maeshowe, a Neolithic chambered cairn and passage grave situated on Mainland Orkney, Scotland, probably built around 2800 BC. It is aligned so that the rear wall of its central chamber is illuminated on the winter solstice.

See the source image 

Edited by Stephen L
Add some missing words...
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1