Call for translators: Arms & Equipment terms for my spreadsheet!

PhilHibbs

4 hours ago, Oracle said:

(isn't a Dart always small))

There are two different darts in the rules now, the one under "Javelin" which does more damage, and the one under "thrown weapons", so I think the Javelin-class dart is a lot bigger. Maybe it's just the throwing style - if you launch it full tilt like a javelin then it does more damage, but if you flick it overhand like a knife then it does less.

On the other hand, a javelin-class dart costs 25L whereas a throwing-style dart costs 1L so they are clearly very different items!

7 hours ago, Jape_Vicho said:

I'm quoting to put my own gran of sand.

-Hatchet: in peninsular spanish it would definitely be Hacha de Mano, but maybe in some parts of latin america it's called hachuela IDK.

-Pick-axe: is not a pick and and axe but really just the average farm pick, to distinguish it from the "Pico" I would put Zapapico.

-Pole hammer: I would say that's a Lucerne.

-Sword staff: minor nitpick but I would put Espada-Baston.

-Falx: this is a difficult one. The difference between the "falx", the "rhomphaia" and the "sica" is very small and it doesn't help that the falx is usually translated in spanish as "Falcata", which is also what we call here the weapon RQ calls "Kopis", adding to the confusion. In historical matters we can simply say "Falcata dacia" to distinguish it from the regular falcata which for us is obviously the iberian one and be done with it, but you can't mention the dacians in RQ. I would simply go with Falx, but I'm no translator so don't take me too seriously.

-Missile weapon: Arma arrojadiza.

-Stone Bow: I think that's not refering to a bow literally made of stone but to a stone (or pellet) shooting crossbow, kind of like a super-slingshot ("tirachinas" here, but I'm certain that in latin america it's called by a million other names), and in spanish it's usually called Ballesta de Perdigón.

-Landyard Dart: I don't even know what that is supposed to be, let alone translating it.

-Thrown Spike: Púa Arrojadiza

Thanks, I've used @Alexaco's list with your amendments.

A Lanyard Dart is a dart thrown using a stick-and-string device:

image.png.b28adeade42c8af124ed0c6a946aaaa4.png

That's not what a modern English speaker, or Google Translate, would think of when they hear "lanyard":

image.png.cfbd99671fa5f9d5a627289aeec48b9b.png

7 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

"Pick" is a tricky one because most languages seem to use the same word for a pick as for a pickaxe. I went with small and large suffixes for German.

English included -- pick and pickaxe are both used, if not quite interchangeably, then without a completely systematic and consistent distinction between the "weapon" and the "digging tool" senses.

7 hours ago, Jape_Vicho said:

In historical matters we can simply say "Falcata dacia" to distinguish it from the regular falcata which for us is obviously the iberian one and be done with it, but you can't mention the dacians in RQ.

Oops, that's a good point.  Scrub my suggestion for the Italian too, on the same basis!

9 hours ago, Oracle said:

In fact, according to the description, it is a light crossbow, which does use stones instead of bolts. So there are some similarities the "Balester", but I'm not sure, if it is really the same.

Sounds like the same thing, then.  If we trust Wikipedia -- which we don't, but it's not much different from the many-amateur-hands-and-eyes effort we're running here -- then "A bullet-shooting crossbow, pelletbow, "ballester", sometimes referred to as “stone bow” and even rock-throwing crossbow, is a modified version of the classic crossbow." and "Unter einem Balester (auch Kugelballäster, Schnepper, Vogelschnepper, Kugelschnäpper, Kugelarmbrust) versteht man eine mittelalterliche, leichte Armbrust, die vorwiegend für die Vogeljagd verwendet wurde." (Their bold, for headwords being defined.)  My original caveat was mostly in the event that the W&E was some dragonewt monstrosity made of bone, or the like.

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

There are two different darts in the rules now, the one under "Javelin" which does more damage, and the one under "thrown weapons", so I think the Javelin-class dart is a lot bigger. Maybe it's just the throwing style - if you launch it full tilt like a javelin then it does more damage, but if you flick it overhand like a knife then it does less.

On the other hand, a javelin-class dart costs 25L whereas a throwing-style dart costs 1L so they are clearly very different items!

The Javelin class dart may be the late Roman Plumbata, a fletched dart with an iron head and weighted with  lead. That could account for the cost and damage.

late-roman-plumbata-war-dart-small-2.gif.jpeg

8 hours ago, Jape_Vicho said:

In historical matters we can simply say "Falcata dacia" to distinguish it from the regular falcata which for us is obviously the iberian one and be done with it, but you can't mention the dacians in RQ.

49 minutes ago, Alex said:

Oops, that's a good point.  Scrub my suggestion for the Italian too, on the same basis!

So are you saying I can't have "Poing américain" for " Knuckle Strip" in French? @Kloster any alternatives? Or is this some different use of the word "américain"?

Edited by PhilHibbs

49 minutes ago, Alex said:

English included -- pick and pickaxe are both used, if not quite interchangeably, then without a completely systematic and consistent distinction between the "weapon" and the "digging tool" senses.

And just to confuse matters... a mountaineering "ice axe" has an adze side, and a pick side... -- but no "axe" per se. So... similar to "pickaxe" as shown by Wikipedia, while a "mattock" has an axe side, and an adze side, and is more a farming implement.

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

I'll adopt all these, except for the weapons that are in the core rulebook as I think that the translations that I have are the official ones (please correct me if I'm wrong, e.g. Schlachtschwert vs Zweihänder).

If and when an official A&E translation comes out, I will ask again for someone to provide me with updates!

*EDIT* Actually... I'm beginning to doubt the accuracy of the existing core rules weapons, I had "1H Short Spear" with the same exact name in German. Something's wrong!

If I've applied changes to weapon names, which have been introduced with the RuneQuest:Roleplaying in Glorantha core rules, then I've changed them to the names, that are used now in the recently released German version RuneQuest:Rollenspiel in Glorantha (e.g. Greatsword is translated as Schlachtschwert - not necessarily the best translations, but the official ones).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Ah sorry "OH" means "Off-hand", using the weapon in your secondary hand. I added those so that people could track two different skills with different base chances.

Ok, off-hand is translated in the German Runequest version as "nicht-dominante Hand" (non-dominant hand) or "andere Hand". So matching abbreviations could be NDH or AH ...

Edited by Oracle
fixed missing translation
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Oracle I've incorporated all the others as well. It looks like I (or I should say, we) did the German list before the official translation came out, and a couple of them were clearly Google Translate cock-ups!

And I've changed SH to AH.

Edited by PhilHibbs

1 minute ago, PhilHibbs said:

Thanks @Oracle I've incorporated all the others as well. It looks like I (or I should say, we) did the German list before the official translation came out, and a couple of them were clearly Google Translate cock-ups!

Yes, that's quite probable. The official German RuneQuest version is available since November 2020, with the final version available since February/March 2021. I'm pretty sure, we worked on German terms for your spreadsheet much earlier:

16 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

So are you saying I can't have "Poing américain" for " Knuckle Strip" in French? @Kloster any alternatives? Or is this some different use of the word "américain"?

'Poing américain' (American fist) is the french name for any fist load or knuckle brass. I don't know of any other name for this kind of weapon, sorry. My background with weapon is in fencing and military weapons, not street fighting.

18 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I have handled arrows made for atlatl use - rather slim shafts, similar to arrow shafts for bows, with quite a bit of flexibility. Basically you can harvest these from coppiced hazel at most three years after coppicing. They will require quite a bit of fletching and a sufficiently heavy (but not too heavy) point to fly as intended, but their penetration is similar to that of arrows shot by self-bows, and the effective range isn't that much different either.

It is possible to use an atlatl or a leather sling attached to a spear to throw heavier spears that could also be used in hand-to-hand combat, and I have seen experimental archaeology reports using what we would classify as a long spear with those Amentum leather cords at distances similar to pilum range.

18 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Missile prices are broken. Javelins and spear-thrower darts in particular. Any hunter-gatherers will create a set of usable spear-like missiles out of raw material for themselves at much less economic cost than raising a mule.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 12/11/2021 at 10:02 AM, Jape_Vicho said:

Hatchet: in peninsular spanish it would definitely be Hacha de Mano, but maybe in some parts of latin america it's called hachuela IDK.

Although "Hacha de Mano" is a better translation, I tried to mantain the feeling of the word from the original and the rest of translations, as "Hacha de Mano" is literally Hand-Axe, and also might let some confusion with the weapon category "One-Handed Axes" or "Hachas a una Mano".

Pick-axe: is not a pick and and axe but really just the average farm pick, to distinguish it from the "Pico" I would put Zapapico.

Yep, confusing stuff, more if we have in mind that the description doesn't correlate with the image, but nonetheless, yours is better (In my country is called "Piqueta" but, again, it has mutiple definitions)

Sword staff: minor nitpick but I would put Espada-Baston.

A minor nitpick for a minor nitpick, it should be a Espada-Bastón.

Digging a little more in the Falx rabbit hole, I only discovered that it was an old name in latin for both sickle and scythe, and even more that it was only a weapon because the farmers use it as a weapon for self-defense. I suppose that there is no need for translation in these case.

Missile weapon: Arma arrojadiza.

It may be confusing, because Missile Weapon is referencing weapons that shoot proyectiles, and "Arma Arrojadiza" is more like Throwing Weapon. Looking in the official Runequest: Aventuras en Glorantha "Missile Weapon" is translated as Arma de Proyectiles.

Another correction that I want to make, the image for the "Pole-Axe" is similar to the "Bardiche", but as is also a word in english and in the original book it isn't like that, so... idk.

Thanks a lot for the welcome @Alex, if I'm sincere, I was lurking the forums for so long that some of my friends thought that you were me haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

"Américain" in this context really means "american" so yeah, doesn't quite make sense in Glorantha. how about a more generic "jointures de métal"? 

Edited by DreadDomain
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

"Américain" is this context really means "american" so yeah, doesn't quite make sense in Glorantha. how about a more generic "jointures de métal"? 

Jointures de airain? 🙂

Mind you, D&D weapons lists long included "Lucerne Hammers" for worlds with no such canton...

17 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

"Américain" is this context really means "american" so yeah, doesn't quite make sense in Glorantha. how about a more generic "jointures de métal"? 

We could invent a regional reference, like "Poing Wenéliain" of "Poing Seshnelain". Would an average French gamer get the reference?

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

"Américain" in this context really means "american" so yeah, doesn't quite make sense in Glorantha. how about a more generic "jointures de métal"? 

Correct, but this is the french word nonetheless. I'm sorry for that.

28 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

We could invent a regional reference, like "Poing Wenéliain" of "Poing Seshnelain". Would an average French gamer get the reference?

It seems a good idea (for me) but I don't know if other players would get the reference. In fact, we don't care: what players need is a name, a description and statistics.