Why no eiritha in sartar

Ironwall

So the heortlings/sartarites have/had Uralda and they have since learned she is the same as eiritha but sartarites can't be apart of her cult. Is there an Uralda cult still that's separate, did they all leave for prax when it was learned the two were the same. Or was she just never worshiped directly

I believe most of the Uralda/Eiritha aspects fall under direct Ernalda worship in Sartar, though I could be wrong. 

It's worth considering that Prax is the outlier here, being pastoral nomads with a nuked-out land god(dess), so their cattle-goddess is kinda all they have, effectively. At least that's how I understand it.

7 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I believe most of the Uralda/Eiritha aspects fall under direct Ernalda worship in Sartar, though I could be wrong.

The Paps, the great temple to Eiritha and built into her says otherwise. 

47 minutes ago, Ladygolem said:

How does this compare to the Uralda cult? How linked are they?

Uralda is just a local name for Eiritha. Like Urox is a local name for Storm Bull. It's probably easier to say that Uralda is Heortling word, and Eiritha the Praxian word. In Prax, she's a major cult as Ernalda is tiny. In Sartar she's a minor cult as Ernalda is major, and rarely worshipped independently, as she's one of the animal mothers. Remember that the Praxians and Sartarites are neighbours, as soon as the 1st council missionaries arrived in Prax in 35 ST Eiritha would have been recognised as the herd mother. Then the praxian diaspora back to Sartar and beyond occurred, making Eiritha the common name. As @Jeff says there's only 3k Eiritha worshippers in Sartar, when Praxian initiates hear the name Uralda in sartarite ceremonies, they likely think "ah, the old name that is wrong, but seems acceptable to the goddess". 

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

46 minutes ago, Ladygolem said:

How does this compare to the Uralda cult? How linked are they?

One and the same, really.

Plenty of gods go by a myriad of names, and the go-to name (the one you use first) may vary with the shrine you visit.

Each name will have slightly different stories, preferences, possibly offer a different special rune spell alongside the typical array.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

4 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

You definitely know more about this than me, but the Paps is not in Sartar though?

As neighbouring areas, they are close. Look at the picture on page 441 of the Guide. You can see the Quivin Mountains from the Paps. So should be able to see the Eiritha hills from Boldhome. You likely won't be able to see Eiritha's outline, but having the goddess buried that close to Sartar is important. 

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

14 hours ago, Ironwall said:

so this is what got me is the cult pages in character creation, but looking through the cult chapter does say she is worshipped throughout Dragon Pass

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. If a player selects Eiritha as a cult for their adventurer they can worship her throughout the region described in the core rules. In reality it would likely mean visiting Ernalda temples to do so, but that's not an issue as they are pretty common.

5 hours ago, Ladygolem said:

What's up with that?

Nothing. See Lay Members in the core rules, page 274.

-----

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. If a player selects Eiritha as a cult for their adventurer they can worship her throughout the region described in the core rules. In reality it would likely mean visiting Ernalda temples to do so, but that's not an issue as they are pretty common.

Nothing. See Lay Members in the core rules, page 274.

I think what they're saying is they were under the impression that lay members had joined their cult, and that this would mean that the requirements for joining Eiritha's cult involved being a female Praxian. As you referenced the Lay Members section on page 274, that section does talk about joining the cult as a lay member, and that many cults have restrictions on those doing so. From that phrasing, it's easy to come to the conclusion that the section talking about how Eiritha's cult can only be joined by female Praxians refers to all the cult, not just the hierarchy.

As Nick Brooke has clarified "joining" is actually referring to "joining the hierarchy" that does explain things.

(or that it's somehow possible to become a member of a cult without joining it, which sounds somewhat like a Nysalorian Riddle.)

1 hour ago, Tindalos said:

As Nick Brooke has clarified "joining" is actually referring to "joining the hierarchy" that does explain things.

(or that it's somehow possible to become a member of a cult without joining it, which sounds somewhat like a Nysalorian Riddle.)

It's a less than clear natural-language distinction, but not an infeasible one.  Given that "lay member" has the word "member" in it, that'd be an even trickier one to make.  But lay membership is essentially a social status, not a metaphysical-status one:  if you were to imagine a deity-eye-view, these are essentially non-existent -- other than to the extent they perceive generic people, and as an intermittent and unreliable source of MPs.

All the same, be clearer if the text had said "initiate to" rather than "join".

• Like 2