Jump to content

QuestWorlds Update: 2022 is going to be the year of Questworlds!


MOB

Recommended Posts

qw-character-art-by-lionel-marty.pngA quick update from QuestWorlds line editor Ian Cooper:

"The first draft of the Questworlds Core Book is off to copy editing here at Chaosium! 

Susan O'Brien will be polishing it up – I am really looking forward to the process of collaborating with her to make QuestWorlds better and take it to the next stage. I'm far too close to it now, to be capable of the alchemy that will turn lead into gold.

We are getting art in from Lionel Marty, including the character art shown above, and now I can focus on finishing art direction (and drawing up some charts etc.), whilst the book goes through the refiner's fire.

2022 is going to be the year of Questworlds!

And don't forget in the mean time you can always check out the SRD."

  • Like 7
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 5/10/2022 at 5:59 AM, Doug said:

Any updates?

I'm guessing it's much too soon for any change of status.

The stage (as mentioned in the OP above) of " ... off to copy editing ... finishing art direction ... drawing up some charts ... etc ... " is a very time-consuming stage, a very laborious process.

I note, in particular, the "art direction."  That means Ian was still describing what was wanted, collecting example/inspiration pieces, etc.  The artist(s) hadn't even begun work on those pieces of art, for which no art-direction existed.

And after SOB finishes draft, along with Ian's "charts etc" and all that art, it still needs to go through layout; at a guess, that would be the next stage we might get word of (although sometimes Chaosium seems to include "layout" into this same stage, and not break it out as worthy of separate report).

Edited by g33k
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, g33k said:

I'm guessing it's much too soon for any change of status.

The stage (as mentioned in the OP above) of " ... off to copy editing ... finishing art direction ... drawing up some charts ... etc ... " is a very time-consuming stage, a very laborious process.

I note, in particular, the "art direction."  That means Ian was still describing what was wanted, collecting example/inspiration pieces, etc.  The artist(s) hadn't even begun work on those pieces of art, for which no art-direction existed.

And after SOB finishes draft, along with Ian's "charts etc" and all that art, it still needs to go through layout; at a guess, that would be the next stage we might get word of (although sometimes Chaosium seems to include "layout" into this same stage, and not break it out as worthy of separate report).

All true, but it still would be nice to get some sort of update on where we're at. Maybe some previews or design notes like we got in the leadup to Runequest. For already being halfway through the "year of Questworlds" there's been remarkably little of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

All true, but it still would be nice to get some sort of update on where we're at...

My experience (since getting back on the Chaosium bandwagon with the RQClassic KS) is that they don't issue an "update" when the status hasn't actually changed; so far as I can tell, this step in the process is just a very long step... but still a single step, i.e. no change in status.  OTOH, maybe they moved faster than I expect and are drafting an press-release update even as we debate the topic!  😉
 

16 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

... Maybe some previews or design notes like we got in the leadup to Runequest ...

HW/HQ/QW fans have an entire SRD available!

Frankly, that is infinitely more than RQ fans got prior to RQG... in that it's a fully-playable "final draft" RPG not mere "design notes."
 

25 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

... For already being halfway through the "year of Questworlds" there's been remarkably little of it.

Well... closer to 1/3 of the way through (4.5 months; not 6!).
But, point taken.  That's kind of a LOT of "the year of <X>" to go by with no actual "X" released...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have some hope of picking up a spankin-new QW book or few at Gen Con, but Chaosium only floated a single session - which makes me think they're not confident of having it back from the printers by then.

OTOH, the independent Lurking Fears crew has also offered some QW games and 3/4 have already sold out (including a non-Glorantha one). Hopefully Chaosium will notice the demand.

I'm also not running or playing QW there this year, since I'm bringing my daughters, aged 11 & 13, and all the QW games are 13+. @Todd@Chaosium & I discussed programming a Chaosium youth-event track back before the plague. Perhaps we can revisit for next year now that things have stabilized to the point where any sort of planning makes sense.  

Edited by JonL
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...