Sons of Yelmalio

Jape_Vicho

The new and absolutely gorgeous sneak peeks of the Cult Book's Divine Genealogies (which you can see at the Well of Daliath or Katrim Dirim's Twitter) got me thinking: are there any known sons of Yelmalio, either with Ernalda or with other goddesses?

By myself I have only found one candidate, Minlister. According to the wiki, Minlister, god of Brewing, is a son of Elmal, and in Katrim's Earth goddesses WIP it appears as a son of Ernalda with neither Orlanth, Hykim, Yelm or Flamal. But from the texts it really seems more connected to Orlanth and the LB than to Yelmalio. 

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth:

36 minutes ago, Jape_Vicho said:

By myself I have only found one candidate, Minlister. According to the wiki, Minlister, god of Brewing, is a son of Elmal, and in Katrim's Earth goddesses WIP it appears as a son of Ernalda with neither Orlanth, Hykim, Yelm or Flamal. But from the texts it really seems more connected to Orlanth and the LB than to Yelmalio. 

In the latest source I have, Minlister is a son of Ernalda and Flowing Water (usually identified with the local river god).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jape_Vicho said:

The new and absolutely gorgeous sneak peeks of the Cult Book's Divine Genealogies (which you can see at the Well of Daliath or Katrim Dirim's Twitter) got me thinking: are there any known sons of Yelmalio, either with Ernalda or with other goddesses?

Wouldn't he have had to have sex for that to happen? 😉

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Hey, behind that helmet Yelmalio's hot to trot, or should I say his catseyes smoulder with a cold intensity; just don't expect him to swipe right on Fireday, or Truth Week, or Fire season...

1728283388_ScreenShot2022-07-12at11_35_43am.png.3efa4b3e3eaa867144abb08d9fa9eb86.png

8 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Yes, sex with females does tend to cut into one's opportunities for "secret late night drilling" with fine strapping hoplites.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

I would expect that in barbarian belt Yelmalio lands Barntar, and maybe even the grain goddesses, are Yelmalio's children. Which is why he can be the main god for men, hand in hand with Ernalda. And saying otherwise will probably get you a quick trip to an impaling pole. I would play that Yelmalions, though tolerant of same sex liaisons, limit marriage to a Yelmalion and an Ernaldan. That is the only way for them.

Some of the geas make it a bit harder to actually find a partner, however.

Yelmalio founded no dynasties and is rarely claimed as the father of other deities or spirits. He is the god of Light, the bringer of Victory, and the upholder of justice. He was born when Yelm was murdered, a blindingly bright glare of magnificence like light from the sun. The light took the form of a new god and stepped into the world.

Unlike his uncle Dayzatar, Yelmalio is willing to get his hands dirty in this world. But I do not know of any child he created.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I still find it mythically strange that the main male god in the Vaantar Sun County seems emasculated. I have no problem with the Orlanthi believing so, but it seems difficult to have children if you are emulating a god with none, which is why I assumed the auxiliary cults would be his children.

Otherwise, do they accept that Barntar (allowed as a cult to the Ergeshi slaves) is Orlanth's son? Argan argar's? Someone else?

I also doubt Ernalda will consider as a husband someone who cannot procreate. And if fertility personified did not have children, what can simple mortals do?

It does not make sense to me as a social structure, or as a workable pantheon.

• Like 1

Yelmalio is the Light. Since he is a part of Yelm (Yelm's light made manifest) if you want to you can say that the children of Yelm are children of Yelmalio.

In Dragon Pass, the Yelmalio cult at the Sun Dome Temple are dedicated to the Light God. They might also worship the plough god Barntar (which they consider the son of Orlanth and Ernalda). Yelmalio competes with Orlanth over Ernalda - she is the great Earth Goddess, and that competition symbolises the competition between Air and Fire/Sky over the Earth. Yelmalio's cultists certainly can procreate with Ernalda's priestesses!

You might think about this way - Yelmalio's Light blesses others to procreate and to live. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Unlike his uncle Dayzatar, Yelmalio is willing to get his hands dirty in this world. But I do not know of any child he created.

Lokamaydon’s secret wind god? Pelangio incarnated Yelmalio at least once, so their might have been an opportunity for the god child nobody talks about…

On 7/11/2022 at 9:38 PM, Akhôrahil said:

🙂

However, not necessarily.

There are examples of becoming pregnant from touching a deity or even being shone on by a deity.

For example, Hon-Eel because pregnant by standing in Yelm's Light, in the contest with the Horse Priestess.

But, I can't see Yelmalio getting jiggy, except under very prescribed ritual conditions, and even then he probably wouldn't enjoy it.

On 7/12/2022 at 2:36 AM, MOB said:

Hey, behind that helmet Yelmalio's hot to trot, or should I say his catseyes smoulder with a cold intensity; just don't expect him to swipe right on Fireday, or Truth Week, or Fire season...

🙂🙂

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here