Conan 2d20 to BRP

mal

Hi All

Wanting to try a Conan game using modiphious' excellent campaigns Shadow of the Sorcerer and Waves Stained Crimson. 

I will be using Jason Durall's awesome Elric! conversion for char gen and rules set, but I'm wondering if anyone has worked out a generic conversion system for converting the 2d20 stats for NPCs and monsters over to BRP...  I'm also in need of a sorcery system for the bad guys to use...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Malcolm

Edited by mal
  • Like 2

Mythras has several very good magic systems, including Sorcery and Animism.  Both of those should work well in a Conan-esque setting.

There is also a Sorcery system that was created for Magic World that may work for you.  You should be able to find a link to it if you browse BRP Central posts long enough (or its author shows up and comments on this thread).

1 hour ago, ThornPlutonius said:

Mythras has several very good magic systems, including Sorcery and Animism.  Both of those should work well in a Conan-esque setting.

There is also a Sorcery system that was created for Magic World that may work for you.  You should be able to find a link to it if you browse BRP Central posts long enough (or its author shows up and comments on this thread).

thanks. I'll try to find that magic world sorcery system... any idea of the author?

What does "Sorcery" mean for you ?

For instance, the magic systems that Mythras and OpenQuest name "Sorcery", is neither inherently "evil" nor "corrupt" and is in fact just impersonal form of magic.

The BGB also have a system named "Sorcery", which is Elric!'s and Magic World's Magic system. It has spells for summoning demons, but is otherwise just a simple magic system with small spells.

If you want a magic system which primarily deals with demon summoning, you could check StormBringer's first editions, or Mongoose's Elric of Malniboné.

Edited by Mugen

29 minutes ago, mal said:

thanks. I'll try to find that magic world sorcery system... any idea of the author?

It was called Advanced Sorcery and  edited by Ben Monroe.

Basically it was a revised version of the Sorcery rules from Strombringer/Elric! with some new stuff, such as necromancy, thrown in. Not all that surprising at Magic World was basically a new edtion of Strombringer/Elric with the Moorcock specfic stuff removed. 

As Elric orginated as a rot of parody of Conan any of the Stormbinger Magic systems would give the right sort of fell in a Conan game.

As for general conversion, I suggest reverse engineering the d20 to 2d20 conversion system that Morphidus came out with (edited by Jason Durall) . It can get you from 2d20 to D20/D&D which should make it easer to adapt to BRP.

Attributes: 

STR, CON and SIZ are based off of BRAWN. For more variety you could triple the value given below and divide the points as desired. For instance a character with a 11 BRAWN would have a BRP STR, CON and SIZ of 16, or 48 points to spend between them.

INT is based off of INTELLIGENCE

POW is based off of WILLPOWER

DEX is based off the average of AGILITY and DEXTERITY

CHA (if used) is based off of PERSONALITY. If you want to use APP instead you could average WILLPOWER and PERSONALITY, or generate randomly, and modfiy for any applicable Talents

• Multiply the 2d20 Conan stat by 2 and subtract 6 to get a D20 (or BRP) score. Like So:

2d20= BRP

7= 8

8=10

9=12

10=14

11=16

12=18

13=20

14=22

15=24

16=26

As for Skills/Expertise, I'd suggest adding about 20% per level of expertise to the base chances. It's crude, overlooks much of detail of 2d20, is not a perfect fit, but it will probably get you in the right ballpark, especially for one shot NPCs. . If you need to make the NPCs more or less skilled for your PCs then you can use +15% or +25% or whatever best fits your group.

• Like 3

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

1 hour ago, Mugen said:

What does "Sorcery" mean for you ?

For instance, the magic systems that Mythras and OpenQuest name "Sorcery", is neither inherently "evil" nor "corrupt" and is in fact just impersonal form of magic.

The BGB also have a system named "Sorcery", which is Elric!'s and Magic World's Magic system. It has spells for summoning demons, but is otherwise just a simple magic system with small spells.

If you want a magic system which primarily deals with demon summoning, you could check StormBringer's first editions, or Mongoose's Elric of Malniboné.

I'd say I'm looking for something that feels like sorcery in the Conan stories or comics. but mostly I'd like to mimic the powers of the npc's and creatures in the campaigns that I'm converting. No PC magic (or very little). So I'd say lots of summoning with long spells that require ceremonies along with a few direct easily cartable spells? Something like that?

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

It was called Advanced Sorcery and  edited by Ben Monroe.

Basically it was a revised version of the Sorcery rules from Strombringer/Elric! with some new stuff, such as necromancy, thrown in. Not all that surprising at Magic World was basically a new edtion of Strombringer/Elric with the Moorcock specfic stuff removed. 

As Elric orginated as a rot of parody of Conan any of the Stormbinger Magic systems would give the right sort of fell in a Conan game.

As for general conversion, I suggest reverse engineering the d20 to 2d20 conversion system that Morphidus came out with (edited by Jason Durall) . It can get you from 2d20 to D20/D&D which should make it easer to adapt to BRP.

Attributes: 

STR, CON and SIZ are based off of BRAWN. For more variety you could triple the value given below and divide the points as desired. For instance a character with a 11 BRAWN would have a BRP STR, CON and SIZ of 16, or 48 points to spend between them.

INT is based off of INTELLIGENCE

POW is based off of WILLPOWER

DEX is based off the average of AGILITY and DEXTERITY

CHA (if used) is based off of PERSONALITY. If you want to use APP instead you could average WILLPOWER and PERSONALITY, or generate randomly, and modfiy for any applicable Talents

• Multiply the 2d20 Conan stat by 2 and subtract 6 to get a D20 (or BRP) score. Like So:

2d20= BRP

7= 8

8=10

9=12

10=14

11=16

12=18

13=20

14=22

15=24

16=26

As for Skills/Expertise, I'd suggest adding about 20% per level of expertise to the base chances. It's crude, overlooks much of detail of 2d20, is not a perfect fit, but it will probably get you in the right ballpark, especially for one shot NPCs. . If you need to make the NPCs more or less skilled for your PCs then you can use +15% or +25% or whatever best fits your group.

thanks! that's very helpful for the non magic powered conversions...

1 hour ago, mal said:

I'd say I'm looking for something that feels like sorcery in the Conan stories or comics. but mostly I'd like to mimic the powers of the npc's and creatures in the campaigns that I'm converting. No PC magic (or very little). So I'd say lots of summoning with long spells that require ceremonies along with a few direct easily cartable spells? Something like that?

That sounds like Magic World sorcery to me. Elric! and Stormbringer 5th edition used the same system, but had more options for demons.

Elric of Melniboné 2nd edition from Mongoose is another option. It's for Legend and can easily be used with Mythras.

18 minutes ago, el_octogono said:

Sorcery in the Conan stories feel very much like Call of Cthulhu spells. If I'd make a faithful adaptation I'd use that magic system.

Yeah, this would be my take as well. I hope the OP will let us know how Waves Stained Crimson goes, for, well, reasons.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, kross said:

Yeah, this would be my take as well. I hope the OP will let us know how Waves Stained Crimson goes, for, well, reasons.

Thanks for the suggestion Kevin… a big reason I’m going to run these campaigns is because I’m a dedicated Cthulhu GM and these two book strike me as very Cthulhu related!

On 11/7/2022 at 6:53 PM, Atgxtg said:

Multiply the 2d20 Conan stat by 2 and subtract 6 to get a D20 (or BRP) score. Like So:

2d20= BRP

7= 8

8=10

9=12

10=14

11=16

12=18

13=20

14=22

15=24

16=26

Note that each of the 3 d20 D&D games has its own attributes scale, which is different from BRP.

For instance, D&D4 characters start with attributes in a 8-20, and can reach 28 at level 30 through regular attributes increases.

On the other hand, D&D5 characters attributes start in a 8-16 range (unless you use random generation). They can increase if you don't take feats (or some specific feats), and can never go higher than 20.

And NPCs or PCs with randomly generated attributes can have values as low as 3.

Edited by Mugen

4 hours ago, Mugen said:

Note that each of the 3 d20 D&D games has its own attributes scale, which is different from BRP.

Yeah, which is one of the reasons why conversions are more than just number crunching, and even under the best circumstances there will be differences.

D&D 3E/3.5 is probably the easiest to covert to BRP in part becuase the designers were influenced by RQ. In 3E carry capacity doubles with each 5 points of Strength while in BRP lifting ability doubles with each 8 points of Strength. So a 8/5th mutiple plus offset is probably the best way to line the games up.

12 hours ago, Mugen said:

For instance, D&D4 characters start with attributes in a 8-20, and can reach 28 at level 30 through regular attributes increases.

On the other hand, D&D5 characters attributes start in a 8-16 range (unless you use random generation). They can increase if you don't take feats (or some specific feats), and can never go higher than 20.

And NPCs or PCs with randomly generated attributes can have values as low as 3.

Mmm... For your info, Modiphius 2D20 system has as much to do with D&D than say, BRP... In fact it's closer to BRP than D&D. 
It's quite a cool skill based system! 🙂

10 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Mmm... For your info, Modiphius 2D20 system has as much to do with D&D than say, BRP... In fact it's closer to BRP than D&D. 

Sure, but I was not the one that mentionned d20 first, and I never suggested to use it instead of BRP. 🙂

As an afterthought, I think it was first mentionned because of the Mongoose OGL/d20 line.

17 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Maybe but that's not the point.The OP wanted a method for adapting 2d20 Conan stuff to BRP. As there is no conversion from 2d20 Conan to BRP, but there is one from 2d20 Conan to D20/D&D Conan, and as people have been converting from D&D to BRP for years, D&D can be used as a Rosetta Stone. 

No judgments were being passed on the 2d20 game system. Just a desire to adapt 2d20 Conan stuff to BRP.

• Like 1

yeah I'm not really looking for something exact or anything. I'm just interested in a quick and dirty way to come up with an NPC stat block for a d100 game from a stat block from the 2d20 game!  I think the system that Atgxtg provided will work.

I'm using Jason's Elric to Conan conversion as I noted above, and using the "epic" character generation options from BRP to pump up the characters to Conan-like levels of skill and mastery...

Edited by mal

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2022 at 03:37, el_octogono said:

La stregoneria nelle storie di Conan sembra molto simile agli incantesimi de Il Richiamo di Cthulhu. Se facessi un adattamento fedele, userei quel sistema magico.

I'm doing exactly this in my Conan/Hyborian campaign:
System: BRP roleplaying
Magic: Grand Grimoire of Cthulhu Magic (accessible to all characters, not just "sorcerers/priests")
Corruption (instead of Sanity): breakpoint like Delta Green, when broken adds a curse/mutation. Corruption can be reduced by doing things in contrast with it (altruism, contrast/combat evil/demons, etc...)
Bestiary: BRP roleplaying + Malleus Mostrorum (CoC)

• Like 1