What are good spells to stack with Ernalda's Bless Champion?

Rodney Dangerduck

The party is going into combat with the big bad guys at the Thanatar temple (I'm the GM) and I've allowed the Storm Bull to get a casting of Bless Champion from an NPC Ernaldan.  It seems like a great spell.

However, looking at the details, we are coming up a bit short on defensive spirit and rune magic to support it.

As for spirit magic, Vigor and Shimmer look best, and are reasonable enough.  Note that Protection and Counter Magic are not taught by Ernalda, so shouldn't be readily available.  (or will be at low levels).

As for Rune Magic, Absorption makes no sense.  That leaves Charisma (if one is willing to call that "defensive"), Spirit Block, and Shield.  Super super useful but not very "exciting".  Not that Earth Shield is out - it is cast on the shield, not the husband-protector.  Which is too bad.

Any advice?  What combinations have you found effective or interesting in your games?

4 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

As for spirit magic, Vigor and Shimmer look best, and are reasonable enough.  Note that Protection and Counter Magic are not taught by Ernalda, so shouldn't be readily available.  (or will be at low levels).

Protection is available from several of her associated cults.  If there's a Storm Bull in the party, the Ernaldan can learn protection from his temple.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 3

Some people have tried to argue that Strength should count as defensive, as it increases your parry chance. I don't really have any time for that argument, simiilarly Charisma is dodgy. Vigor I'd be ok with, but no doubt some will object to some characteristic spells being ruled out but others not. Gor'am munchkins! Not all characteristics are created equal.

Shimmer is a rock solid suggestion! Undoubtedly defensive, effective against criticals (reduces the chance, a 01 still hurts though), could be a real life saver. Worth the Bless Champion just for that one.

Edited by PhilHibbs

Ummm - Impede Chaos! Ernaldans get it from their Storm Bull Husband Protector. Clearly defensive in nature (as it's cast on the non-Chaotic target). Turn it up to 11 and see how the little Chaotics like it... (and, add a Shimmer to it for more fun and games)

Of course, you could combine it with Shield, but then that Ernaldan Priestess better have buckets of RPs available! (Even better if a Wyter can cast it...)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Any thoughts as to whether Impede Chaos helps in spirit combat?  (if the spirit is chaotic)

I'd say yes

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Surprised nobody's mentioned 'Arouse Passion'. Have THAT boosted 20% for the duration could be a powerful advantage for augmenting rolls. Do you have any suitable loyalties or devotions? One of them at 90% could make for a very reliable buff to all sorts of rolls, and quite in keeping with the inspiring nature of Ernalda's interaction with her protector champions.

Pure of purpose, with a powerful, noble will, given to honor, and devotion to the Earth and loyalty to your clan and kin.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Summersong said:

One of them at 90% could make for a very reliable buff to all sorts of rolls

Depends how strict one is on using augments and inspiration.  We are pretty strict, one inspiration per scene, and you can only use a skill to augment once.  Assuming that a PC already has a relevant rune or passion around 90%, (ours typically do) getting another one to 90% isn't very useful for a single scene (the big battle). 

But it could be useful in other circumstances.  Or if you thought that one particular passion might be especially relevant.  Thanks!

p.p.s.  Also isn't clear if Arouse Passion is a "defensive" spell.

Edited by Rodney Dangerduck

On 12/6/2022 at 7:07 AM, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Any advice?  What combinations have you found effective or interesting in your games?

So you are stuck with a few spell, which cause you a problem, let's see Ernalda Arsenal.

• Ernalada "Eligible Defensive" Spirit Magic : Shimmer (-5% hit chance per MP) , Vigor (+3 HP & +1HP per localisation for 2MP)

Also Remember that the spell is use on a target not only on his body; As your are not running around naked, a goddess my bless you or your weapons alike ^^

• Ernalada "Eligible Defensive" Divine Magic : Earth Shield ( aka the indestructible Shield of Arran)

A bit of munchkinism with a touch of Eurmal blessing, you can state that she have "before hand" done a SPELL TRADING (which state state "the Earth goddesses allow spell trades only if the High Priestess of the temple approves."  ) to have a "defensive" divine spell of Babeester Gor, guardian of Earth goddesses, like Shield which is compatible with Shimmer and Vigor; This spell is also easily High Priestess Approved unlike Axe Trance or Berserker.

So you may get a Shimmer 4 + Vigor 2 + Shield 5 + An Indestructible Shield :

• -20% chance to get hits
  • +3 Total HP, + 1HP per localisation (prevent a bit of losing a limb or drop your weapon in battle)
  • +10 AP, +10 CounterMagic pts
  • One Indestructible Shield, held in hand or in your back (usual Anti-arrow/backstab cheat)

Spell trading can be use for a lot of others spells but Lore wise, Babeester Gor is more reachable for any priestess of Ernaldada.

53 minutes ago, MJ Sadique said:

sing, you can state that she have "before hand" done a SPELL TRADING (which state state "the Earth goddesses allow spell trades only if the High Priestess of the temple approves."  ) to have a "defensive" divine spell of Babeester Gor, guardian of Earth goddesses, like Shield which is compatible with Shimmer and Vigor; This spell is also easily High Priestess Approved unlike Axe Trance or Berserker.

No need to spell trade to get Shield. Most Ernaldan's encountered will have Orlanth as (one of) the Husband protectors and so have access to Shield , they may also have Catseye if Yelmalio is a local thing or Impede Chaos from Storm Bull

I am generous and allow Strength , Coordination, Vigor, and Glamour as well as Shimmer or protection or countermagic or Spirit Screen from spirit magic. If for some obscure reason the ernaldan had parry I would allow that as well.

Rune magic Absorbtion or Shield or Spirit block as well as Charisma, Impede Chaos, Catseye, Arouse Passion , Inviolable and Earth Shield

The chance of any given Ernalaldan having access to all of these seems pretty low, I may allow others aquired via Spell trade but that would be on a case by case basis. Spells like (weapon) trance, True (Weapon) or Berserk I would not allow as they are too far over the line into offensive spells. I also think that in most circumstances Shield trumps the other rune spells, although if fighting a shaman then Spirit Block may win out

• Like 2

RAW never actually states the actual definition of 'defensive spells'. Written in a few spell descriptions is 'defensive' as a declarative: Countermagic, Absorption, Entrance. 

Then there are spells which state if affects defensive spells: Demoralize, Detect Trap, Dispel Magic, Aurora, Bless Champion, Call on Stars, Conquer Beast, Crack, Dismiss Magic, Group Laughter, Harmony, Inviolable, Soul Sight.

Humor also mentions 'defensive' but in terms of actions, not spells.

Clearly Protection, Shimmer, Spirit Screen, Impede Chaos, Shield, Reflection, and Spirit Block will count as 'defensive spells' by almost everyone. Like others here, I would tend to be much more inclusive with Vigor, Coordination, Glamour and Charisma (both aid against spirit combat) and many others.

A GM could go so far as to say any spell which is not an Attack spell (cast upon the opponent) is a defensive spell. I won't go that far, as weapon-enhancing spells like Truesword, Slash, Axe Trance, Bladesharp, and Fanaticism probably should not count as 'defensive' either.

Note that Bless Champion does not stop incompatibility. So you cannot cast two of Countermagic, Protection, Shimmer, and Spirit Screen on the champion. I do note that Shield, Absorption, Reflection, and Spirit Block are no longer written as incompatible. Though Shield of Darkness remains incompatible with all of the Rune versions.