Does the White Moon have any counterparts to Red Moon avatars?

g33k

This struck me as a White Moon version of the Artess... complete with anachronistic vibe, as so much Lunar stuff so often seems to have.

Spoilered for "racy" content.

(posted with permission of the artist)

Edited by g33k
spoilerific
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

I wonder if one of the most disturbing aspects for Red Moon advocates is the White Moon doesn't appear to provide any magic, or anything a third age Gloranthan would recognise as magic. An unsettling prelude to the metaphysical upheaval which follows Moonfall - third age power crazed red moonies fearing the loss of magical mastery which elevates them above other mortals. . 

Er, they still get all their Rune magic from their existing Lunar (or other) cults: following the White Moon is 100% compatible with other forms of Lunar belief, you don’t have to give up your other cult memberships. (You might want to keep quiet about it if imperial authorities are getting antsy, but that’s a secular concern.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hmmm. Well, ostensibly the Red Moon and White Moon are the same entity at different stages on a (hahaha) predetermined teleological pathway (hahahahahaha) and so the one's avatars would be the other's, effectively. But let's set that aside, and consider the white moon as an entity with independent presence. The moon plays time games in any case. 

What does the white moon represent? One answer would be the moon pacified, lobotomized, safely subjugated to the order of the world, insensate or dreaming like the blue sister is currently. I'm not sure this bleak figure has any avatars as such, because that implies activity. Another answer might be a consciously peaceful, even pacifistic moon, one who has triumphed over the demands of the world to engage in constant violence for existence, and I think her avatars probably aren't a major presence in the world, but certainly would exist and be active. 

Yet another answer would be the moon as full of boundless potentiality, no longer bound to a study in scarlet. I think that this paradoxical entity would find her presence strongest in similarly paradoxical individuals, and there are perhaps a few candidates out there in the cast of NPCs.

• Like 5

"And I am pretty tired of all this fuss about rfevealign that many worshippers of a minor goddess might be lesbians." -Greg Stafford, April 11, 2007

"I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban," -Greg Stafford, January 7th, 2010

Eight Arms and the Mask

3 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

following the White Moon is 100% compatible with other forms of Lunar belief, you don’t have to give up your other cult memberships

Like being a Nysalor riddler.

I do like a mystic whose deity is not (not now, not ever). If you are not powertripping on divine magic, you are not giving any hostages to the Gods War. Middle-sized dry goods — deities as commodities — come and they go. It is of no consequence to the White Moonie.

The Red Moon is torn from the sky, and we say, “The White Moon is here, but it is invisible.” The kōan expresses a certain indifference to configurations of matter and mana in the cosmos. As sure as 1 – 1 = 0, the White Moon is here. It could not be otherwise. “Keep this one truth in mind, that a good Moon cannot be harmed.”

[Now, if you will excuse me, there’s an abyss needs staring into.]

Edited by mfbrandi
eliminated one repetition
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

13 hours ago, Eff said:

What does the white moon represent?

Well thinking back to when the White Moon was likely first recognized:

When the Moon is in the Seventh House

And [Orlanth] aligns with [Shargash]

Then Peace will guide the planets

And Love will steer the stars....

Harmony and understanding
Sympathy and trust abounding
No more falsehoods or derisions
Golden living dreams of visions
Mystic crystal revelation
And the mind's true liberation....

• Like 5

The White Moon represents the Good Tsar, who will surely listen to the needs of the people and relieve them of their oppression.

Once the Red Moon stood for liberation, leading a rebellion against those who had overthrown the land.  But the Red Moon was led astray and now leads a corrupt empire full of slaves and monsters.  The common man lives a life of boots to the face.  Heavy taxes to pay for stupid wars, paying heavy rents and generally suffering.

Only when the blood covering the Red Moon is wiped away and the bad advisors removed can Sedenya become the White Moon she would have always been.

The White Moon stands for liberation from oppression and a time of joy to come.

(Instead, Argath destroys the Red Moon and there is no time of liberation, only destruction by monsters and oppression by Sheng Seleris reborn and Argath's armies.  If that possible future comes to pass.)

• Like 3

On 8/17/2023 at 9:19 PM, Eff said:

Hmmm. Well, ostensibly the Red Moon and White Moon are the same entity at different stages on a (hahaha) predetermined teleological pathway (hahahahahaha) and so the one's avatars would be the other's, effectively. But let's set that aside, and consider the white moon as an entity with independent presence. The moon plays time games in any case. 

What does the white moon represent? One answer would be the moon pacified, lobotomized, safely subjugated to the order of the world, insensate or dreaming like the blue sister is currently. I'm not sure this bleak figure has any avatars as such, because that implies activity. Another answer might be a consciously peaceful, even pacifistic moon, one who has triumphed over the demands of the world to engage in constant violence for existence, and I think her avatars probably aren't a major presence in the world, but certainly would exist and be active. 

Yet another answer would be the moon as full of boundless potentiality, no longer bound to a study in scarlet. I think that this paradoxical entity would find her presence strongest in similarly paradoxical individuals, and there are perhaps a few candidates out there in the cast of NPCs.

I prefer the last answer

• Like 1